Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-19-2024, 12:42 PM   #1
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
This Onstar article is worrisome

See:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2024/03...-driving-data/
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:21 PM   #2
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Let's hope GM's dishonesty and greed ends up costing them millions. It is clear now that GM has been enrolling people in that SmartCar bullshit without their express consent. Many people posting here and other forums saying they never consented, yet when they checked they were magically enrolled. No way this is by accident or some oversight, it is 100% deliberate on GM's part.
Old 03-19-2024, 01:43 PM   #3
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
might find some info and opinions here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622276

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615044

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614279

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:48 PM   #4
split_bumper

Drives: 24 ZL1, 6.2L Denali, 73 SplitBumper
I checked my app the other day for my Camaro and it was turned on. I turned it off now, its been in storage all winter. I wonder if me driving it for a couple weeks in the fall while it was registered in my name will even show up lol. Checked my truck, and that one appears to be off already. My truck insurance did however go way up this year (comp and collision almost doubled).

https://cws.gm.com/vs-cws/vehshop/v2...FJ1R60R0111531
split_bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:09 PM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Pretty sure GM has its butt covered here. Note in the article GM says you have to have accepted it 3 times. Of course the first is telling your insurance company “no”. Now if your insurance company sparks in a way that sounds like, “would you like to enroll in a safe driver program to help save you money?” Then that’s part of he problem. The other is if you just down load the app you are likely enrolling automatically if you don’t know to un enroll from he start.

I am going through he EXACT same thing with my new VW. And you should read who they are just selling your contact information to.

This is not just GM or OnStar. It’s every OEM with connected vehicles and services. It’s only a matter of whether they are more transparent than GM seems to be.

Last edited by Number 3; 03-19-2024 at 02:36 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:24 PM   #6
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
This is how GM wiggles out of the consent issue surrounding insurers. They sell the data to middleman, you consented to them sharing your data with third parties when you bought the car and use their app. Not their fault that your insurance company buys the data from the middleman which is LexisNexis and Verisk.

From the GM webpage:With customer consent, we share select OnStar Smart Driver insights about driving behavior with LexisNexis and Verisk, third-party telematics exchange companies that work with some insurance carriers. If additional consent is given to an insurance carrier that participates in the LexisNexis or Verisk programs, LexisNexis or Verisk may provide your selected carrier with data to help deliver usage-based insurance benefits. The full report of OnStar Smart Driver behavior is not shared with insurance carriers. However, you may request a consumer report directly from LexisNexis or Verisk to see what information about you is maintained in their files.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM   #7
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Pretty sure GM has its butt covered here. Note in the article GM says you have to have accepted it 3 times. Of course the first is telling your insurance company “no”. Now if your insurance company sparks in a way that sounds like, “would you like to enroll in a safe driver program to help save you money?” Then that’s part of he problem. The other is if you just down load the app you are likely enrolling automatically if you don’t know to un enroll from he start.

I am going through he EXACT same thing with my new VW. And you should read who they are just selling your contact information to.

This is not just GM or OnStar. It’s every OEM with connected vehicles and services. It’s only a matter of whether they are more transparent than GM seems to be.
When the app updates it auto-reenrolls you. The other kicker is it showed off for smart driver in the app but when I logged in on the web browser it turned on again! I did NOT hit accept on anything 3 times. If someone can prove what I just said I think they aren’t covered. Re-enrolling because of an update is not the same thing as someone accepting 3 times.

Also when I first got my car I was not enrolled on the app but was enrolled in the website again. They are being devious and they know it. I feel a jury would be on the peoples side when this point gets brought up. The first oem to have an easy way of disabling this crap will get my money for my next car.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:26 PM   #8
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:

Wouldn't worry about it. I have it on good authority that it's not happening and just an interwebs conspiracy theory.

Quote:
Ok to be clear GM is not selling YOUR data. They might be selling a collective of data, e.g. pickup truck drivers do x,y or z. They are not selling data for John Doe unless John Doe agreed to it. Now we can look at how easy it is to get you to agree, but unless you do GM is not ratting you out.

When I worked there and wanted to access the data it was VERY clear if I got any data, it would be about a car but I COULD NOT see customer data or location.

That being said, your data is hugely valuable. It’s why Google is worth so much for a free product. Same for FB and, yes, as pointed out your phone. And Ultifi will allow GM to be more like Tesla and not only collect but send data.

So be very careful what you overtly or inadvertently agree to. I have had many letters from State Farm “want a lower rate?” Just give us access to your OnStar. Nope!
Quote:
Pretty sure YOUR data is not sold by OnStar.

Your Camaro may be part of Camaro data sold but data for your car and you is not identifiable.

But that is counter to he conspiracy theory and the internet so carry on.
Current mileage: 310

Last edited by Junction65; 03-20-2024 at 07:02 AM.
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:33 PM   #9
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I've seen a lot of info about LexisNexis posted here but not about Verisk. The quote in post #6 above from GM says that they sell data to both companies. It sounds like we need to go through the same opt0out with Verisk also.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:28 PM   #10
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Damn it... I had turned Smart Driver off a while ago. I saw this discussion with comments about it re-activating. I checked my app and Smart Driver was on... WTF! I'm a chill driver and it's reporting I brake and accelerate hard every trip. I guess you literally have to drive like an old lady for the app to deem your driving style is appropriate. Not cool GM!!!
Old 03-19-2024, 06:21 PM   #11
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I guess stick with older cars.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:00 PM   #12
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
I guess stick with older cars.
Seriously. I’m debating dumping my 6th Gen for an s197 GT500 and this just give me more reason too.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:09 PM   #13
Buellrider

Drives: 2023 1SS 1LE
That’s why I pulled the BS onstar board within a couple of weeks of buying my car. They can’t report and sell what they don’t have.
Buellrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:30 PM   #14
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Here's the other bureau that GM sells data to.

https://fcra.verisk.com/#/

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote