The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Blackend SS
Mauricio

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black!
Corvette Museum to Build Track!

The Corvette Museum is looking to expand its facilities in the form of a race track.

Here is the info from www.motorsportpark.org.

A New Venue for High Performance

With over 1.5 miles of Interstate 65 frontage and situated across from the Museum, the Motorsports Park will be one of the most centrally located and easily accessible driving facilities in the country. The Park will be built to FIA and SCCA specifications. The proposed Park will have two road courses, one karting track, a 1/4 mile drag strip, an autocross course and a skid pad area.

The NCM will be equally committed to three separate and distinct areas of priority:

1. The construction of a multi-function motorsports park

2. The establishment of a comprehensive educational facility for conducting science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) programs

3. The implementation of a state of the art teen driver safety program

All programs offered by the NCM Motorsports Park will include both classroom and “hands on” training.

The top priority of all programs will be education and safety.

The NCM Motorsports Park represents an ambitious “next step” in the evolution of the National Corvette Museum. It is anticipated that this project will take 2-3 years to complete.

History. The Motorsports Park at Bowling Green is a subsidiary of the National Corvette Museum (NCM), a 501c(3) not-for-profit foundation. As the largest car museum in the world dedicated to a single model, the NCM is committed to preserving the legendary automobile's past, present, and future.

The National Corvette Museum currently resides in a 115,000 square foot facility on a 55 acre campus in Bowling Green, Kentucky, adjacent to the General Motors Corvette assembly plant.

Facilities. The supporting facilities will include a control tower, tech inspection area, fueling station, rest rooms and maintenance building. In additon, the facilities at the National Corvette Museum will be used to supplement the high performance driving experience. This includes classrooms, cafe, conference center and store.

Design. The Motorsports Park will be designed by a professionally accredited track consultant in accordance with the FIA and SCCA specifications.

Location. The facility will be situated on more than 300 acres of land, including 1.5 miles of frontage on Interstate 65, directly across from the National Corvette Museum.

Corporate Events. The Motorsports Park will provide companies with custom designed corporate events designed to meet the specific goals of the company.

Corporate Partners. Corporate support and sponsorship will be an important element in the success of the Motorsports Park. In addition to the corporate support provided by General Motors, Corvette Racing, Western Kentucky and the AAA Foundation, we will continue to explore strategic corporate sponsors who share in our vision and our mission.

Sponsorship Opportunities. There are different levels of sponsorships available. Please contact the Corvette Museum to discuss.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Blackend SS
Mauricio

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black!
Future C5 fest location anyone ?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
69Z/28Camaro
Red Big Block Camaro

Drives: 93 C1500, VR Big Block 70 Camaro RS
haha blackend, a camaro fest at a corvette plant. good idea though. thats only about 3-4 hrs from where i live
my 1970 Camaro RS. Frame off restoration. 600 HP 454 Naturally Aspirated. GM Performance Heads, Comp Mechanical cam, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 750 Carb. Hooker and Flowmaster exhaust system. Victory Red paint, True Rally Sport.
69Z/28Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Gotadime

Drives: IOM RS M6
Holy sh*t, that's awesome! I can't wait to see this in person.

Ordered 4.20.10 | Delivered 6.8.10 (Recent Photos)
Upcoming mods: MRT V2 Exhaust, Apex LED Tails, CAI.
I specialize in Automotive Photography. Visit my site here.
Gotadime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
CLEAN

Drives: '19 Stingray '22 MB GLC 300
That's cool! Will give the Museum delivery folks something to do, wish they would have had that when I got mine 2 years ago.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Would be neat, especially since I live less then a couple of hours away.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
now that is a great idea,, just hope that funding will not fall through.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i had heard some time ago that they were going to do this.i think the idea came from all the vette people.they have their national event there every year.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
awesome
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Just from an historical perspective, the 1st F-body Gathering at the NCM in Bowling Green was held in 2001. For those who may have never visited or attended an event there, the NCM is basically just across the road from the Bowling Green assembly plant. A visit to that facility. as well as the NCM ought to be on the agenda of every car enthusiast, no matter what he/she drives. It's an amazing experience!

I was fortunate enough to attend all of the subsequent F-body Gatherings in B.G. from 2002 until the very last one there in 2006... all unbelievably enjoyable and immensely rewarding. There is a ton of stuff to do in the area and our events made use of Beech Bend Motorsports Park for drag racing and autoX events.

My experience has always been that the event staff at the NCM, under Events Manager Roc Linkov and assistant Adam Boca have always made a point going the extra mile to ensure a smoothly run and enjoyable event.

The fact that the NCM has a motorsports complex in the works has been known publicly now for a couple of years. Contributions to this end are gratefully accepted by the NCM.

Based on my experience (as well as others in our community), I strongly believe that the Camaro and Firebird brotherhood/sisterhood would benefit immeasurably should we be able to lock in an annual weekend event there during the season, if it's at all possible. Doing so could could pay huge benefits by ensuring the use of the new motorsports park and all its facilities for 1 weekend per year!!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Corvette Museum to add race track(s)?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/27/c...s-the-highway/

And not just a track, either. The National Corvette Museum wants to build an entire motorsports complex, including two road courses, a kart track, a ten-acre autocross course and a quarter-mile drag strip in Bowling Green, Kentucky. If that wasn't ambitious enough, the museum wants to do it on the opposite side of I-65 from the main museum and Corvette manufacturing plant. If the plan goes through, the two will be connected via a series of bridges and tunnels.

The main track borrows elements from some of our personal favorite courses, including the Carousel from the Nürburgring and the infamous Bus Stop from Watkins Glen. Even better, the museum says its courses will be FIA and SCCA compliant, meaning that when finished, we may actually see some impressive competitions take place on the new grounds.

The whole kit and caboodle is expected to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $35 million, excluding the price tag of all those bridges, etc, and the Corvette Museum has to come up with the majority of that figure before breaking ground. We're not sure exactly how the non-profit plans to come up with all of that coin, but we're betting Corvette owners can expect a polite request for donations sometime soon.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
C5F 2014?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C5 fest???
Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
GM should chip in a few bucks, then offer an official 'test track' time with each and every ZR1 sold. How cool would that be?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowling green, corvette, corvette museum, vette