Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
If you left it in then your unit is very restricted.

I posted pics of it in the "if youve gotten your VR PM" thread

it looks like a gasket that lines the inside of the filter side of the box

Patrick told me when it came time to tune, remove the bottom/sides to un-restrict the unit

Is this the wickerbill?

Why would my tune only Vararam with the 3'' filter come with a wicker bill if I'm not supposed to use it?
Wacker, who did a lot of testing for Vararam said this about it. "You should also have a wicker bill all the way around the unit. It's purpose is to redirect airflow from the roof and floor of the unit. By doing that air is forced to enter the filter in the front and middle vs at the very back/large portion. This helps during the cruise portion when you are at low throttle and high incoming airflow.. It does help as I've ran one with and without."

So I'm confused.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Is this the wickerbill?

Why would my tune only Vararam with the 3'' filter come with a wicker bill if I'm not supposed to use it?
Wacker, who did a lot of testing for Vararam said this about it. "You should also have a wicker bill all the way around the unit. It's purpose is to redirect airflow from the roof and floor of the unit. By doing that air is forced to enter the filter in the front and middle vs at the very back/large portion. This helps during the cruise portion when you are at low throttle and high incoming airflow.. It does help as I've ran one with and without."

So I'm confused.
Well I am sure as hell confused too!

YES that is the wickerbill

From Patrick when I asked him why my new unit did not coast very easily like the others did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vararam
It will decell with the motor now because you have reduced ram effect. When you let off before air was still traveling in fast enough to keep the motor pulling. Now its been cut back to bring it into tolerance.
The fuel trims will find itself eventually ( more miles) , however, when the time comes to tune it ,simply pull the unit apart and remove the wickerbill on the airfilter side and you will be de-restricted and ready for the tune.( or do this when it gets above 80 deg F consistantly)
And when asked about removing it for the datalogging I did for VMS

Quote:

DO NOT REMOVE THE WICKERBILL!

If you want more flow ,cut the lower section of the wicker bill away "NOT THE TOP"
leave the top , just remove the lower area ,thats it!

Remember your unit was setup for "YOUR" car and mods ,what works for you will not be for all.
The wickerbill is critical because your unit is setup for up to 500 rear wheel HP.

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #17
SGOS252382

Quote:
Well I am sure as hell confused too!

YES that is the wickerbill

From Patrick when I asked him why my new unit did not coast very easily like the others did

And when asked about removing it for the datalogging I did for VMS

I chatted again with Wacker and he said I could try removing the bottom and sides if I want. He said I might see a little increase in performance, but at the risk of some surging, etc.
He also said they're working on a new section/part (like a fin down the middle) that will eliminate the wickerbill. He's going to start testing it any day.

For now I'm going to leave it on all the way. I don't want to take a chance with surging or bucking. Maybe the next time I'm on the dyno, I'll do a with and without the wicker bill test.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Thank you for posting the comparison numbers.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
Jeanius

Quote:
I chatted again with Wacker and he said I could try removing the bottom and sides if I want. He said I might see a little increase in performance, but at the risk of some surging, etc.
He also said they're working on a new section/part (like a fin down the middle) that will eliminate the wickerbill. He's going to start testing it any day.

For now I'm going to leave it on all the way. I don't want to take a chance with surging or bucking. Maybe the next time I'm on the dyno, I'll do a with and without the wicker bill test.
so Wacker is saying it will surge/buck even with a tune?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #20
SGOS252382

Quote:
so Wacker is saying it will surge/buck even with a tune?
If you keep the wickerbill on, you "shouldn't" experience much surging/bucking. Thats what the wickerbill is for (to prevent surging/bucking).
But once you start removing the wickerbill all bets are off. And from what I understand, this surging/bucking doesn't seem to want to be tuned out.
My car ran great on the test drives while it was being tuned. My car felt strong and pulled nicely. But I'll need more seat time to know if I'm going to be experiecing surging, etc. Yesterday, I never really had a chance to cruise at higher speeds where you normally experience a lot of stumbling. I'll be out today doing a lot of driving, and I'll report back on how my car is running (surging, bucking, etc).

Update
I went out and did a lot of driving this morning. My car's running great. It pulls hard and I'm not having any issues with bucking or surging. It did a lot of 60-65mph cruising in 5th and 6th gear and the car ran good.

Last edited by SGOS252382; 04-07-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
When you get some more drive time with the Vararam, tell us how you think it compares to the LMR intake for street driving. I have a LMR, was #20 something on the Vararam list but passed to wait and see some real world driving impressions from fellow C5ers. 5HP may not be worth it to me, I don't race very often. Thanks for your input.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #22
SGOS252382

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG383 View Post
When you get some more drive time with the Vararam, tell us how you think it compares to the LMR intake for street driving. I have a LMR, was #20 something on the Vararam list but passed to wait and see some real world driving impressions from fellow C5ers. 5HP may not be worth it to me, I don't race very often. Thanks for your input.

On a stock Camaro, you'd probably feel a nice increase in performance with the Vararam. But on a car that modded like mine (CAI, Long tubes, Tune), you'll probably won't feel much of a difference. My car's running good and does seem to pull a little harder, especially at higher speeds. But I really won't know for sure until I run my car down the track in similar conditions to what I ran with my LRM intake.

But I do think the Vararam will outshine most intakes at higher speeds. You can take you hand and stick it through the front grill of the car and right into the mouth of the intake. So its getting a perfect flow of outside air right into the intake. It also has a big air filter. On the open road or the track doing 60+ mph, outside air is going to be rushing right into the mouth of the intake. That's not going to show up on a dyno test like we did with a small fan.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #23
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Quote:
If you keep the wickerbill on, you "shouldn't" experience much surging/bucking. Thats what the wickerbill is for (to prevent surging/bucking).
But once you start removing the wickerbill all bets are off. And from what I understand, this surging/bucking doesn't seem to want to be tuned out.
My car ran great on the test drives while it was being tuned. My car felt strong and pulled nicely. But I'll need more seat time to know if I'm going to be experiecing surging, etc. Yesterday, I never really had a chance to cruise at higher speeds where you normally experience a lot of stumbling. I'll be out today doing a lot of driving, and I'll report back on how my car is running (surging, bucking, etc).

Update
I went out and did a lot of driving this morning. My car's running great. It pulls hard and I'm not having any issues with bucking or surging. It did a lot of 60-65mph cruising in 5th and 6th gear and the car ran good.

Wow guys,

I'm sorry you're having to go through all this abstract scenario in order to have a good functioning unit. This is the whole reason I sold mine and went with another. The user-friendliness with the Vararam is shaky at best, and although I believe it will outshine most CAIs on the track, I just felt like I was more of an experiment than anything when trying to install and optimize it. Again, I personally believe that unless you go with a smaller filter size, you're always going to have drivability issues to an extent at cruising speeds (ie surging/bucking) due to the fact that the MAF is so close to the TB. The way it's been explained to me, it has the effect of creating a confused reading through the MAF due to turbulent airflow, and the ECU will continually try to compensate without success.
The bottom line is, you need at least 6" between the MAF and TB in order to have consistant airflow readings. I believe it can be fixed, but it will take much more time and R&D (and money) in order to completely solve the problem. IN the meantime, if you're ok with the surging/bucking at cruising speeds...by all means, stick with it. If not, then ask for a smaller filter size or change units altogether.
I still view the Vararam threads because I am curious to see where this goes...and I am rooting for your success.
Good luck, fellas.
Swifty

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #24
Jeanius

I emailed Patrick about removing the bottom/sides of the wicker-bill for the tune, ill let you guys know what he says

Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #25
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCat View Post
Wow guys,

I'm sorry you're having to go through all this abstract scenario in order to have a good functioning unit. This is the whole reason I sold mine and went with another. The user-friendliness with the Vararam is shaky at best, and although I believe it will outshine most CAIs on the track, I just felt like I was more of an experiment than anything when trying to install and optimize it. Again, I personally believe that unless you go with a smaller filter size, you're always going to have drivability issues to an extent at cruising speeds (ie surging/bucking) due to the fact that the MAF is so close to the TB. The way it's been explained to me, it has the effect of creating a confused reading through the MAF due to turbulent airflow, and the ECU will continually try to compensate without success.
The bottom line is, you need at least 6" between the MAF and TB in order to have consistant airflow readings. I believe it can be fixed, but it will take much more time and R&D (and money) in order to completely solve the problem. IN the meantime, if you're ok with the surging/bucking at cruising speeds...by all means, stick with it. If not, then ask for a smaller filter size or change units altogether.
I still view the Vararam threads because I am curious to see where this goes...and I am rooting for your success.
Good luck, fellas.
Swifty
Thanks Swifty for your write up. This thread and your comments have helped in my decision to not get the Vararam and go with another intake.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #26
jjrush23

Drives: Yellow 2011 camaro SS blacked out
Vararam Rusults

So i have a 2011 Camaro SS that had 421 hp 416 tq with k&n cold air,and dumps tune, deletes
Today i had it tuned with vararam ram air kit, wedge.
Results were a little increase from cold air to ram air.
426 hp 427 tq
That's 5 hp and 11 tq from cold air to ram air
jjrush23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #27
z28chuck
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS Camaro
I've had my Vararam (no-tune) installed for 4 months now with zero drive-ability issues...not sure if I'm lucky or my tuner is just da bomb but I absolutely LOVE my Vararam!

Hopefully everyone can get their drive-ability issues straightened out...good luck guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCat View Post
Wow guys,

Good luck, fellas.
Swifty
z28chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #28
z28chuck
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrush23 View Post
So i have a 2011 Camaro SS that had 421 hp 416 tq with k&n cold air,and dumps tune, deletes
Today i had it tuned with vararam ram air kit, wedge.
Results were a little increase from cold air to ram air.
426 hp 427 tq
That's 5 hp and 11 tq from cold air to ram air
And the difference gets even better at the track!
z28chuck is offline   Reply With Quote