Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

View Poll Results: Would you want hideaway headlights?
Yes 264 69.84%
No 114 30.16%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #15
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Hideaways v. not, I don't care. That car looks awesome either way.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #16
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
like someone else said, aftermarket companies will make retractable headlight covers.

i agree flip-open headlight doors probably won't become a real production order option due to costs/bean counting, etc. perhaps a different styled grille might be available though.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #17
BlacLac02
Banned

Drives: 2002 Cadillac Escalade & STS
Send a message via AIM to BlacLac02
yeah but it doesnt matter how much you think its going to cost or if you can or cant afford it. the thing that counts is if they even offer it. it gives you the option to have it if you want it or not. no it wont be a standard item but an option wouldnt hurt anyone. if you dont like something dont get it. thats the nice thing about having options it keeps all the cars different and gives you what you want and what you dont want
BlacLac02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:39 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I would love to see numerous options. It gives us the chance to customize our Camaro before it's even delivered. Hell, when I special ordered my 02 Z28, I think pretty much all the options were bulked together in one package where in the 01' and 00' models, you got to choose. There might have been 10 options total to choose from on the 02's. GM is not going to offer up endless options to choose from. That'll be where GMPP comes in. Just hope the drivetrain is strong enough w/ that IRS, that they give it plenty of performance/handling, and they don't screw w/ that appearance too much.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:48 AM   #19
BlacLac02
Banned

yeah, im not too sure aboutthat irs. i dont really know anything about it and i dont know why they would do that after having a solid rear end.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:49 AM   #20
BlacLac02
Banned

at least its not front wheel drive
Old 09-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #21
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
from what I understand IRS is great for road courses. while solid axels are great for drags. so yea. that's what I know. lol or learned.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #22
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
from what I understand IRS is great for road courses. while solid axels are great for drags. so yea. that's what I know. lol or learned.
Ditto. Tha't what I've heard. If you're dragging, you want a solid axle. But for everyday driving anround town, which is what we are going to be doing 99% of the time in this car, IRS is the ONLY way to go. It is supposed to be awesome for road courses.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #23
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
But for everyday driving anround town, which is what we are going to be doing 99% of the time in this car, IRS is the ONLY way to go.
Agreed 100%
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #24
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
like someone else said, aftermarket companies will make retractable headlight covers.

i agree flip-open headlight doors probably won't become a real production order option due to costs/bean counting, etc. perhaps a different styled grille might be available though.
You really think so? What if the lights are designed in a way that it's just cost prhobitive to replace them with some sort of retractable system. Man I hope not. I have that photoshop of the retracted headlights burned in my head.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #25
yourbassist

Drives: '96 Intrepid
You have to remember that adding options adds costs for GM. It's not like they can offer an unlimited amount of things. They still have to produce the cars and the more options they create the less streamlined the process becomes and the more it costs them and us. That aside, I'd love to have the flip-ups.
yourbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #26
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I don't know who super chevy was talking to, but in that column it said they were told that the option of retractable headlights would be a "customer dissatisfaction". The probability of the headlight covers failing and not retracting to the covers not lining up properly could cause a major potential headache for GM's warranty guys. I see them scraping that idea completely. Believe me, they are etched in my mind too. Personally, I love'em!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #27
Twin Turbo

Drives: '05 Ford Mustang
Just as some companies are producing aftermarket "angel eye" headlights for cars, such as the Mustang, I see no reason flip lights couldn't be produced in the same manor.

Personally, I'd like them to be standard, or at least an option on the RS/SS model.

And yep, that image of the 3 Camaros is etched on my brain too. Those flips rock
Twin Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #28
t_wade

Drives: '77 FirebirdFormula,'81 Camaro
Hey, the hideaway headlights do look great, but how many old cars have you seen with the lights flipped up even when they are not turned on. I don't currently have any preference on the issue, as long as the lights work when it gets dark, and I'm driving a camaro with some ponies under the hood.
t_wade is offline   Reply With Quote