Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #29
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Then the most of you wouldn't like riding with me or around me. Cause I run my QTP's wide open as much as possible.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #30
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Drone is the low resonance sound that comes from mufflers.It's caused by nothing else.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #31
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Every time I read something or watch a video and Flowmaster exhaust is mentioned they get tons of hate. Just watched last rpm video and they make jokes all the time like he lost 10 hp by using Flowmasters.

Is there any truth to this? I know they drone (mine does) but I love their sound. It’s a true old school muscle car sound that I can’t find with any other companies.
True old school would be Smithys (sometimes 'Smittys'). Straight-through glass-packs. Flowmaster FX-series might be as close as anything Flowmaster makes to truly old-school.

There's always been something in the sound of chambered Flowmasters that just irritated me. It wasn't about how loud they might have been, just something in the character of the sound, some irritating frequency or frequencies. 'Jarring' is the only word I can think of to describe it.

Norm
Old 03-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #32
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There's always been something in the sound of chambered Flowmasters that just irritated me. It wasn't about how loud they might have been, just something in the character of the sound, some irritating frequency or frequencies. 'Jarring' is the only word I can think of to describe it.

Which is why me and my high school buddies loved them so
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #33
Warship2k15

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ok I dont hate flowmasters.I’ve had them on many cars and trucks.I think the design limits flow on a high performance build and they drone a lot.
So on a mild Chevy 350 then they sound great. But on a high performance build then it’s a no for me.
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #34
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
True old school would be Smithys (sometimes 'Smittys'). Straight-through glass-packs. Flowmaster FX-series might be as close as anything Flowmaster makes to truly old-school.

Norm
I was a teenager in the 90’s so our old schools may be different lol. In the 90’s it was all Flowmaster, K&N and elderbrock
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #35
Silver14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
I was a teenager in the 90’s so our old schools may be different lol. In the 90’s it was all Flowmaster, K&N and elderbrock

EVERYTHING had a flowmaster on it in the 90s. 5.0 mustangs, 305 TBI f-body's, all kinds of trucks, the bigger the muffler tip the better!
Old 03-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #36
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
EVERYTHING had a flowmaster on it in the 90s. 5.0 mustangs, 305 TBI f-body's, all kinds of trucks, the bigger the muffler tip the better!
YUP! One wouldnt have even thought there were any other exhaust manufacturers out there
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #37
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Just like others have said, some people love to complain and make claims that they cannot back up. My '11 SS Vert was limited in exhaust because of the chassis bracing; therefore, Flowmaster Force II was the go-to. Now granted, I had a lot of mods done to this car, but FM's were at the rear. Check out my other vids to hear the FM's bark prior to the cam. IMHO, FM makes quality products that are right up at the top.

Peace and best of luck!

To the ground: 455hp & 435 lb./ft. torque

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:09 AM   #38
Modernmusclecar

I wouldn't say it's really hate. They drone. ..it's no secret and hasn't been for years. Back in the day you didn't have many exhaust choices. But now there alot of quality catback out there to choose from.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #39
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I loved my ZL1 Flowmaster Outlaw quad catback, it sounded really great with the big cam and the LT's!! But after 3 years of cruising and driving, and sometimes I go on road trips and take either my gal of one of my buds with me and the drone was getting too much to handle anymore. You couldn't even have a conversation with whomever you had in the car, and at the end of the day I ended up with a good ole headache, but it really sounded good and got lots of compliments. Now I have the Corsa on her and the difference at cruising is night and day!! And I get even MORE compliments on the new system!! Love it. Plus all my "old school" cars had FM on them, it was what we all had.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #40
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
When you guys talk about drone, are you talking about the sound the l99 makes when it goes in the 4 cylinder mode or something else?
Correct. I never had drone on my '10 2SS when stock or with my Solo J Pipe muffler delete Axle Back Exhaust.
Apparently some aftermarket systems can drive you nuts with the drone. None with Solo imo.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #41
Silver14

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Correct. I never had drone on my '10 2SS when stock or with my Solo J Pipe muffler delete Axle Back Exhaust.
Apparently some aftermarket systems can drive you nuts with the drone. None with Solo imo.

Drone is a resonance that occurs at a certain RPM, happens with LS3 and L99. The L99 AFM/DOD sound is a separate thing and is more noticeable with aftermarket exhausts, you can hear a difference between it running on 8 vs 4 cylinders.

J pipes are a great way to eliminate drone.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:21 PM   #42
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Drone is a resonance that occurs at a certain RPM, happens with LS3 and L99. The L99 AFM/DOD sound is a separate thing and is more noticeable with aftermarket exhausts, you can hear a difference between it running on 8 vs 4 cylinders.

J pipes are a great way to eliminate drone.
Drone happens on alot of vehicles with aftermarket exhaust mostly. It has nothing to do with the L99 or ls3. It's the mufflers cause drone...nothing else. I've found over the years alot of0 people with Flowmaster anything dont mind the drone. I think they sound pretty good and could live with the drone if I had them on my car.