Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-03-2024, 03:07 PM   #379
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Track day in the Evo was a ton of fun. Would have been much better in the bigger HP car (Camaro!). Slow lap video:

Did receive a new near exact replacement for the TB...this time from Katech. Work of art!:

Old 05-14-2024, 12:45 PM   #380
Tim M

Katech 103 MM throttle body did the trick...car runs like previous. Also received the Nick Williams back with fresh electronics - now 100%. Expensive repair, but simple to fix!

Fast forward a month...car was ready for an autobahn run.

Oil changed, full tank of 98 octane (93 US), and tires pumped to 42 psi cold...headed out at 0500 Sunday morning for the hour drive to an optimum location - river bottom, concrete and a long, unrestricted straight without on ramps:

Not the goal of 200 mph, but it did survive 2+ miles at WOT and drove home so can't complain. 6 mph increase from previous.

There are still issues - end of the run had a catch can overflow which moistened the engine a bit to the point of coming out the hood vent! Admittedly, I failed to drain the catch can before the run, but it had only been 700 miles...possibly an issue. I did pull the plugs following the run and all looked happy. Also did a cranking compression test: 190-198 even across all 8 cylinders.

Boost: Also noticed the boost dropped after 1.5 miles - lost 2 psi, 11 psi to 9. That could be ~25 CHP loss right when it needed it. This is OEM pulley sizing.

Alignment: Car has -3 degrees camber on the front - possibly not ideal, but I'm more concerned in the toe - noticed a bit of extreme inside tire wear which is not normal even with this camber. I also noticed the car wandered more than previously...this could be extra rolling drag.

Brake cooling: I had recently installed the several times larger cooling ducts from a Cadillac...they definitely hang down far more than the OEM's...might help to pull them off next time. Surely the underside of the car has minimal impacts?

The acceleration in 4th is very impressive and 5th is nearly so especially considering the 'long' gearing.

I guess the project is not complete! More to follow...:-)

Last edited by Tim M; 05-14-2024 at 12:59 PM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:50 PM   #381
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
That really doesn’t have much issue getting to 195
Old 05-14-2024, 10:56 PM   #382
Tim M

6spdhyperblue: agreed! The GPS is not accurate on the acceleration...for instance shift into 5th was right at 150 mph. It definitely struggled at the very high numbers...