Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #99
WLNY

Drives: ZL1
It's no big deal just get it if you want. I've got lots and lots of kids where I live driving 911s and M3s. I'm not even sure why you're asking.
WLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #100
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Making good money doesn't automatically imbue one with intelligence, experience or reason and forethought.

Be impetuous and eat your dessert before the main course, or exercise restraint and savor what follows with more appreciation.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #101
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
I don't quite get the "doesn't deserve it" comments if what the OP says is true. In the U.S., at least for now, if you can pay for a car yourself, you can own it. Additionally, I also feel if you buy a car, and you are responsible, you get your OWN insurance as well.

There's no stupidity check at the door of the dealership. The dealer will take your money regardless if it's a Cruze or a ZL1, I'm almost sure of that. The only time I get a bit uneasy is when I read the comments of the mommy/daddy purchases and the feeling of entitlement.

If you can afford it, then buy it. Know that it IS a street monster. While they can be fun, they can be extremely dangerous. Learn how to tame the monster, don't just say you're responsible; BE responsible, and then have fun. You can tell your grandkids about how you had this really cool car back when you were 21.

But like others have said, if you're getting paid a lot now, don't blow it all. Start a savings program that you'll stick too (automatic paycheck deductions work wonders cuz you never miss it) PLUS a 401K or Roth IRA, etc. Keep investing for the next 20 years at least and when you retire you'll have more money than you can spend (unless you're married- she'll find a way).

You need to find a balance between saving and enjoying the fruits of your labor right now. You don't want to be the one living paycheck to paycheck with mountains of debt later on.

There's my "old man" advice to the young buck.
THIS is a really good post.

I'll say this about my ZL1. I'm glad I took it easy during the break in period. I think it was just as much for me as it was the car. (I would like to open this car up, but I frankly can't floor it past 2nd. you're already hitting 80 something in 2nd.)

I've had other Camaros, and the ZL1 has an insane amount of power. (I wish it had a valet switch like some Corvettes). You should NOT be out modding this car. It's got plenty stock. Seriously.

At the age of 21, EXPECT to get stopped and ticked in this car . . . a ticket you wouldn't get in a Camry. Some cop will probably give it to you, and he'll probably think he's saving your life by trying to get you to slow down (when you're probably blending in with traffic; say 75 in a 65).

When driving it, just follow 1 rule. 'Don't do stupid things'. if it sounds stupid, it probably is. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just looking back at my own driving habits when I was 21.

Good luck. This car gets a hell of a lot of looks. You actually DON"T need to floor it to get attention. It does that sitting still.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #102
TripleBlkZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10 & 18 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare991 View Post
20 year old with a ZL1. right.........
I'm 20

2018 2500HD Duramax
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #103
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
I don't quite get the "doesn't deserve it" comments if what the OP says is true. In the U.S., at least for now, if you can pay for a car yourself, you can own it. Additionally, I also feel if you buy a car, and you are responsible, you get your OWN insurance as well.

There's no stupidity check at the door of the dealership. The dealer will take your money regardless if it's a Cruze or a ZL1, I'm almost sure of that. The only time I get a bit uneasy is when I read the comments of the mommy/daddy purchases and the feeling of entitlement.

If you can afford it, then buy it. Know that it IS a street monster. While they can be fun, they can be extremely dangerous. Learn how to tame the monster, don't just say you're responsible; BE responsible, and then have fun. You can tell your grandkids about how you had this really cool car back when you were 21.

But like others have said, if you're getting paid a lot now, don't blow it all. Start a savings program that you'll stick too (automatic paycheck deductions work wonders cuz you never miss it) PLUS a 401K or Roth IRA, etc. Keep investing for the next 20 years at least and when you retire you'll have more money than you can spend (unless you're married- she'll find a way).

You need to find a balance between saving and enjoying the fruits of your labor right now. You don't want to be the one living paycheck to paycheck with mountains of debt later on.

There's my "old man" advice to the young buck.
Well said, he won't listen but well said.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #104
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
I will say this, the majority of young males turn their light bulbs off at around 16 and they don't usually come back on until about the age of 25. If they can make it to 25 without killing themselves or ending up in jail they have a chance to survive. Good luck young man.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #105
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
I purchased my first new z28 at age 23, and crashed it after 9 months and I thought I was a good driver. Age 20+ZL1=disaster. Stats are not good with young drivers regular cars, imagine what can happened with 580 hp.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #106
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Honestly, you should just get a regular SS, perhaps a convertible. SAVE the other money for a house and retirement. Sooner or later, you'll want to married and buy a house.

It's better to live in a house than an apartment, and usually women will be much happier to have a house over an apartment. (I'm saying your sex appeal goes up for being able to afford more than an apartment.)

You can always buy a ZL1 later, used or new.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #107
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_beltran805 View Post
say a ZL1 is too much car to handle for a 20 year old? I plan on getting one later in the year by thn i'll be 21 , BUT why does everyone say that ? What do you mean by that? By saying is too much power to handle do you mean I wont be able to control it? Someone answer ... last but not least no my parents are not buying me anything , I make pretty good money BUT I will put the insurance under my dads name .
DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE BUT I REMEMBER A COUPLE OG FRIENDS IN HIGH SCHOOL WHO EETE
Old 04-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #108
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
As the owner of a modded ZL1 I have to say that the biggest problem with somebody soo young driving is experience. I'm 45 I've been driving since I was 12 years old. The first car I drove was a Chevy Suburban. I would drive around the block to back into our driveway. I've owned a wide range of cars including Corvettes, Camaro's, Firebird's, drag cars, 280Z and my last was a 370Z. I'm also an EMT. I've been to many accidents in 20 years. Sorry to say but the most serious ones tend to be with young drivers. It is a great car and who wouldn't want one. Stay safe if you get one and seriously consider some professional high performance instruction.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #109
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stt816 View Post
go for it, most people here seem jealous because you can afford it and you're half their age lol....also, I don't think driving should be associated with age, as I know plenty of older people who are not so great at driving....good luck
^This! What's his age got to do with anything?? He can afford it, seems to be mature enough for a race car and to be honest, I don't think he should listen to any negativity. I'm more than twice his age, and my driving record is "not the best" at best! GO FOR IT KID!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #110
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
No jealousy here, just a typical comment fishing for a conversation that's been played. Way played. Am I too young to buy fast car X.......saw it on LXforums, CTSV owners, etc. Just gets tiring.

If you can afford, then buy. Stop trying to validate as it's a complete waste of time. 40 year olds know that, 20 year olds will learn it....sooner or later.
2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #111
kalamajama

Drives: 2012 ZL1 2002 Silverado, 2010 Prius
I purchased a 67 427 tripower coup when I was 20 years old while I was in service back in 1974. My first real muscle car that is. I fished tailed it around a corner (power shifted into second going into a turn) first month I had it. Then did a 360 going from a stop in the middle of a intersection doing a another power shift from first to second. The ZL1 will definitely (if you use the correct nannies) prevent you from getting into a lot of trouble but believe me you will, if you've never owned a muscle car of this nature in the past, at one point or another, you'll find your self out of control once or twice. Lets hope that you survive to learn from it and respect horsepower. Good luck with your ZL1.

MM
kalamajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #112
eightup

Drives: 2013 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 View Post
I'm 20
now you did it
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote