Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whiterag View Post
Hi Guys! As a Canadian, I have to reply to this thread. For a very long time GM has been building cars in the US and Canada. The international boundary line has been blurred for a very long time, officially when the Free Trade Agreement was signed in the 60's. GM itself is made up of a lot of Canadian companies that were purchased over the years. Personally I consider it one and the same. Am I happy the car is being built in Oshawa? Yes, very much so. Why? Because it will be built at the Plant that was rated number one for quality. The last thing we need is to have the Camaro come out and the publics impression of it is sub standard. Oshawa has a history of building top rated vehicles and hopefully the trend will continue. As far as Australia in on the design process, anyone that was in Detroit last January for the unveiling was made aware that a lot to the engineers were going to Australia to continue on with the process. GM has just followed the pattern they have tried to form by amalgamating departments to cut waste.
I work at GM Powertrain here in St. Catharines, Ontario. I would be very proud if we were given the opportunity to build the drive train for the new Camaro. We also have a high quality standard and we build engines for the Corvette, trucks and many other GM models. Also, right or wrong, I consider America as North America. What is good for one is good for the other. Always has been, always will be. IMO
Great post, great points, and well said.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #16
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Thanks Moose! It was from the heart!
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #17
WMCC GETGONE
ObseSSed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS, 1985 IROC Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to WMCC GETGONE
Trying to figure out why this thread was even created since production announcement was already made that it was going to be built in Canada. Also there was never a 3rd gen built in Canada, only the 4th gen. 3rd gens were built in the Van Nuys, CA plant and Norwood, OH plants.

2002 Camaro SS T Top Black M6 SLP 345HP SLP #8542
1985 Camaro IROC Z28 T Top Silver 305TPI Auto
2000 Camaro "RS" T Top Mystic Teal V6 Auto Daily Driver
WMCC GETGONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMCC GETGONE View Post
Trying to figure out why this thread was even created since production announcement was already made that it was going to be built in Canada. Also there was never a 3rd gen built in Canada, only the 4th gen. 3rd gens were built in the Van Nuys, CA plant and Norwood, OH plants.
I think the reason it was created is becasue there has been speculation (and I mean pure speculation) that if they are really going to have the Camaro out earlier than the 3rd Quarter of 08, then it will have to be produced at another plant becasue the Oshawa is booked until 08. People are then speculating that the first ones will be produced in Australia until the Oshawa plant is ready.

EDIT: I would like to add that I do not buy into this speculation at all......
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:59 AM   #19
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Nor do I...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:50 AM   #20
WMCC Gary
Camaro Addict

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
....I would like to add that I do not buy into this speculation at all......
I agree I don't buy it.
WMCC Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:09 AM   #21
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Me Too!
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 PM   #22
jbynum69
God of thunder

Drives: 95 Mustang GT
actually this thread was started to see if people care about buying any old car as long as it says camaro or does the american (and the last time I checked I lived in north america that includes canada S>A's ) heritage not mean anything anymore to people.

P.S> I don't come to be put in a box or told what is right or wrong I think for myself not follow trends or even care if others like me or what I say!
this thread is proof to me that people need to start looking who owns our lives and see that we are no longer fighting for freedom or pride but for labels and mass produced junk that some other country that laughs at us while they count our money and buy up our land and buisnesses!

If this is offensive so be it ,I am really tired of defending a cause that seems to be no longer important to popular standards anymore so I bid u good night . Maybe oneday we will be saluting the flag of our nation that everyone forgot.

My first car was a 72 ss
I've owned 9 camaro's over the yrs...:
jbynum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #23
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbynum69 View Post
actually this thread was started to see if people care about buying any old car as long as it says camaro or does the american (and the last time I checked I lived in north america that includes canada S>A's ) heritage not mean anything anymore to people.

P.S> I don't come to be put in a box or told what is right or wrong I think for myself not follow trends or even care if others like me or what I say!
this thread is proof to me that people need to start looking who owns our lives and see that we are no longer fighting for freedom or pride but for labels and mass produced junk that some other country that laughs at us while they count our money and buy up our land and buisnesses!

If this is offensive so be it ,I am really tired of defending a cause that seems to be no longer important to popular standards anymore so I bid u good night . Maybe oneday we will be saluting the flag of our nation that everyone forgot.
Seriously, stop posting when you’ve been drinking…
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #24
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
oh ya. I would buy if it was made abroad.
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #25
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbynum69 View Post
I am confused.... buying a product that is made by an American company and is primarily developed in America and whose components are primarily made in America, but is assembled in another country is now un-American, or somehow going against our American heritage?

I would rather GM, and AMERICAN company, remain competitive by assembling the Camaro elsewhere and thus cutting costs than to see the price of the Camaro increase leading to reduced sales and once again no Camaro.

Last edited by Casull; 02-01-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #26
WMCC Doug
Camaro for life

Drives: 2002 Hot Rod Magazine Ltd. Ed.
Unfortunately, it's impossible to find an "American Car" any more. By that, I mean that, every componet is made in the USA, and it's assembled in the USA, and built by a company that originated in the USA.

So, were left with trying to do the right thing by buying our cars and trucks made by a company that originated in the USA, like GM. Even though there are Hondas "built", or more correctly, "assembled" in the USA, the profits still go back to a non-USA company.

But, on the other hand, this is America, and our country was founded on "Freedom of Choice", and therefore, we now live in a world economy, and we have the "right" to buy the product that best suits our needs, including quality and cost.

It's become a "no win" situation, or an "all win" sitution, depending on your perspective.