The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Member's Lounge > Off-Topic Chat

Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #169
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
While I can tell that is most likely sarcastic I am an apple fan (they aren't the best I just like their seamless integration) and Apple devices are more likely than in the past to get a virus now. I have no virus protection on my Mac but I am careful with it. In the past they didn't get a virus since it wasn't a OS that was widely adopted but not that you see a Mac every time you turn your head the virus are becoming much more common. Not long ago there was a pretty serious one that was broadcasted trough Java applications on websites. That was a big scare for the Mac community until apple made some patch work
Thank you! You're an Apple guy, but you're honest about it. That is something that I can live with. I'm a PC guy. And I honestly have never recieved a virus that Norton couldn't squash like a bug. Although I do have a friend who can't seem to keep a virus off of his computer. I finally stopped helping him out with PC repair.

The last Apple guy I dealt with designed a program for my company. (one that didn't work) He insisted it was my gear, and I told him it was his macmini. He about blew a gasket. Literally. It was crazy.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #170
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Okay, I'm going to stop. I'm sorry.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #171
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Thank you! You're an Apple guy, but you're honest about it. That is something that I can live with. I'm a PC guy. And I honestly have never recieved a virus that Norton couldn't squash like a bug. Although I do have a friend who can't seem to keep a virus off of his computer. I finally stopped helping him out with PC repair.

The last Apple guy I dealt with designed a program for my company. (one that didn't work) He insisted it was my gear, and I told him it was his macmini. He about blew a gasket. Literally. It was crazy.
Sometimes I swear the people who just love their products go and make a lifestyle change to be like Steve jobs. I perfer my Mac Book Pro over windows but simply because it has good hardware to software integration. If I invested the same money into a PC I most definitely could have a even better computer just lacking OSX (which even then is possible to load on a PC as long as you use intel hardware to build the computer)

I am a tech person and the only reason I use OSX and IOS is because they are clean, reliable, and very integrated. I am familiar with all 3 desktop OS systems and OSX is my favorite followed by Linux and lastly Windows. I put windows last because of the direction there going in with windows 8. They are making it to wired and trying to integrate to many things which in turn is taking away some of the things that made windows great. In my opinion everything that has come after XP other than 7 has been total crap.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #172
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Okay, I'm going to stop. I'm sorry.
Hey where did I go?:eek:
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #173
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Sometimes I swear the people who just love their products go and make a lifestyle change to be like Steve jobs. I perfer my Mac Book Pro over windows but simply because it has good hardware to software integration. If I invested the same money into a PC I most definitely could have a even better computer just lacking OSX (which even then is possible to load on a PC as long as you use intel hardware to build the computer)

I am a tech person and the only reason I use OSX and IOS is because they are clean, reliable, and very integrated. I am familiar with all 3 desktop OS systems and OSX is my favorite followed by Linux and lastly Windows. I put windows last because of the direction there going in with windows 8. They are making it to wired and trying to integrate to many things which in turn is taking away some of the things that made windows great. In my opinion everything that has come after XP other than 7 has been total crap.
Agreed. Windows 7 IMO was the best thing to happen to Microsoft. Then they launched windows 8. Yeah, it's probably great on a mobile device, but abandoning windows 7 so fast was a stupid move. My Windows 7 install disc is at it's maximum. I really need to get another code :(

I'm just starting to play with a mac, and I'll be honest. It's a bit too different for me right now, and I don't really have the time to mess with it. But I'll be able to bring up some good honest opinions about them in maybe a year or so.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #174
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Agreed. Windows 7 IMO was the best thing to happen to Microsoft. Then they launched windows 8. Yeah, it's probably great on a mobile device, but abandoning windows 7 so fast was a stupid move. My Windows 7 install disc is at it's maximum. I really need to get another code :(

I'm just starting to play with a mac, and I'll be honest. It's a bit too different for me right now, and I don't really have the time to mess with it. But I'll be able to bring up some good honest opinions about them in maybe a year or so.
I have to say it takes some getting used and apple seems to like hide the settings you use a lot in some hard to find places but by using the spotlight search and other tools you can find your way around. Another thing I prefer about macs is that time doesn't slow them down like a PC. All PCs tend to slow down after about 2 years old where you have to clean up your drives and defragment them to get them back up to par. My Mac is a little over 2 years old and is still running like the day it came out of the box with very little work on my end. I normally always keep my disks clean and in order and have a WD 2TB external that is formatted for OSX only to back it all up just in case.

Edit: while I haven't had much time to play with windows 8 as no computers in my house have it it seems to just be a remodel of the task menu to be live tiles. The rest seems very windows 7 like. Not sure of there are coding differences that can only be seen when writing programs though.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #175
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

Never insult an Apple fan's Apple products. It'd be like someone telling me the Corvette is a POS.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #176
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Never insult an Apple fan's Apple products. It'd be like someone telling me the Corvette is a POS.
Well you will be surprised how many apple fans become so narrow minded and think that the best has to have the precious fruit on it.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #177
FenwickHockey65

I really don't see why someone would be so defensively loyal to a company unless they have some personal ties to it. For example, my family still derives income from GM so it's in my best interests to support the company. Most Apple fans on the other hand? I don't know, maybe they just like paying a ton of money for products that cheaper products perform better than.

And I'm typing this on my MacBook Pro. Biggest waste of money ever.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #178
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
I really don't see why someone would be so defensively loyal to a company unless they have some personal ties to it. For example, my family still derives income from GM so it's in my best interests to support the company. Most Apple fans on the other hand? I don't know, maybe they just like paying a ton of money for products that cheaper products perform better than.

And I'm typing this on my MacBook Pro. Biggest waste of money ever.
To each there own I guess. Like I said in my previous posts I do perfer my Mac book pro but I am not so narrow minded that I can't see that you can easily get something just as good or better for half the price. I mean for 1K you can build a awesome tower computer as long as you put it together yourself which now in days does not require soldering Most is all plug and play now. My Mac book was 1800 since I have the 15inch and that is a ton of money for a laptop computer that you buy off the shelf
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #179
FenwickHockey65

I seriously have a laundry list of things I complain about on a daily basis with this computer.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #180
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
I seriously have a laundry list of things I complain about on a daily basis with this computer.
Which version of OSX are you running? If you say lion many and I mean many people had problems with that one including myself. Since Mountain lion came out I haven't had any problems. Snow leopard has been one of there better ones in a long time though
Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #181
FenwickHockey65

Snow Leopard. Only half the problem is software.

Things I ****ing hate about my Mac
-The razor sharp aluminum edge at the bottom of the palmrest. Whoever designed this POS needs to be dragged out behind Apple headquarters and shot. I have a permanent line on my hand from where the edge has dug into my hand while I'm using the trackpad.
-Laziness. I can't tell you how many times my Mac has simply given up if it feels I'm running too many things at once.
-Cooling fan. You need to turn the damn thing on to watch a 1 minute Youtube video? Seriously?
-OS X itself. I'm in the dairy industry. Most dairy farmers run Windows. Having to partition my hard drive and use Boot Camp wasn't such a big deal, having to swap back and forth between OS's on the other hand is a huge PITA, especially when sometimes it flat out refuses to boot into Windows.
-Everyone and their mother has one. My last Dell was an XPS M1530. Barely anyone else had one, and it was easy to figure out whose computer was whose when you were with a group of people. Not so easy with this stupid Mac.

And finally, getting weird looks when I say I truly hate my Mac.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #182
OctaneZ28
Camaro Disciple

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to OctaneZ28 Send a message via Yahoo to OctaneZ28
I'm the Admin of an 80-endpoint network.
76 PCs, 4 iMacs.
In terms of problems per computer, the iMac problems are I'd say 500% higher.

I'm sure people like Macs from a user perspective, but from an admin perspective (and trying to get them to behave on a PC network) they're a nightmare.

I'm definitely a PC guy, but I'm not an Apple hater. I've had an iPhone for the last 4 years, but I'm ditching it soon for an Android device.
I don't hate my iPhone (well, sometimes I do when it doesn't work) but just about everything else out there has passed it up in terms of technology and features.
Heck, if you look at the rumored specs of the iPhone 6 due in 2014, the Samsung Galaxy S3 released in 2012 already beats it.

All that being said, I love when people with Macs start hating them.