The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 02-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
donpat

Drives: 06 corvette
Performance Exhaust

Waiting on my ordered C7 to arrive. Would like to keep exhaust open all the time. If I select sport mode,how does it differ from tour mode other than keeping the exhaust open? Does sport mode change handeling or ride? Is a switch available for the C7's to change back and forth?
How does the open exhaust sound compare to Corsa?
THANK YOU!
donpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
jsvette

Drives: C7, XTS, Porsche, C70
You can go into personal preferences in settings, then to engine sound management and take it off "Auto". That will set your NPP to always be open regardless of drive Mode you are in. However, even with it open, unless you are stepping on the gas the exhaust will be relatively quite. Once you step on the gas regardless of Mode (if you took it off Auto) you will enjoy the full extent of your super symphony in V8. As to the impact of the Mode on handling it depends on whether you have a base or Z51, or Z51 with mag suspension. Regardless of what model you have, switching from Tour to Sport to Track will tighten the steering and change the throttle response time. If you have the Z51 with mag suspension changing the Mode will also tighten up your suspension.
jsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
donpat

Drives: 06 corvette
THANKS FOR THE INFO!!
donpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #4

Drives: 2014 Stingray
JS Vette, thanks for the info. When I arrow left and go to settings, it gives me the option 1) US vs Metric, 2) link to drive mode, 3) Speed warning, 4) Pocket gauges. Any suggestions? Thanks
528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
xp800

Drives: 2015 C7 Z51 A8 Stingray
The settings are in the center screen/radio vehicle settings (gear icon), not the cluster screen.

See page 5-42 in the manual.

On the center screen: Settings - Driving Mode - Engine Sound Management - Auto or Off

Auto follows the driver mode dial setting.

Off will leave the flaps open all the time...mostly. There are still the flaps forward of the mufflers that do stuff mostly in 4-cyl mode. I leave mine in the off (open) all the time. I also notice that on some up shifts, I can hear something is closed until about 1700RPM the valves open. The driver mode does not affect this behavior, all modes behave the same in the 'off' position.
xp800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #6

Excellent. Thanks "XP" ......... Will give it a try in the morning.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

Thanks XP. Adjusted in seconds and works great.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
xp800

Quote:
Originally Posted by 528 View Post
Thanks XP. Adjusted in seconds and works great.

I switched mine off as soon as I sat in my car the first time (I had been studying the manual for a month)...still in the delivery aisle at the dealership. The only time I mess with it now is to show someone the novelty of the feature. Enjoy!
Old 02-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #9

You seem well researched.
Now I have to install the skip shift eliminator and lower all 4 corners.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
Corvette7Tuning

Drives: 2014 corvette stingray
any sound clips of with the stock exhaust always open?

www.Corvette7Tuning.com
Corvette7Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
xp800

I've had fuse 41 pulled for a week. 3 trips to and from work and about 8-9 start-stop cycles. NO CEL!!! All this really solves is the 1700RPM NPP issue. What you give up is on-the-fly changes to Engine Sound Management, so 100% open NPP all the time. V4 mode is unaffected.

I have only been operating in Engine Sound Management OFF. Not sure why it would make a difference in CEL if set to AUTO, but I wanted to mention it.

I like it better, but I can understand why the NVH guys may have done this. The bass resonance is noticeable in the upper gear tip-in lugging as described previously. However, I like it better as I can hear what the car is doing all the time.

So it -appears- that a LED spoof load fuse may not be necessary to prevent CEL. A simple relay control as proposed elsewhere may be all that's necessary.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
PGCorvette

Drives: White Z51 C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp800 View Post
I've had fuse 41 pulled for a week. 3 trips to and from work and about 8-9 start-stop cycles. NO CEL!!! All this really solves is the 1700RPM NPP issue. What you give up is on-the-fly changes to Engine Sound Management, so 100% open NPP all the time. V4 mode is unaffected.

I have only been operating in Engine Sound Management OFF. Not sure why it would make a difference in CEL if set to AUTO, but I wanted to mention it.

I like it better, but I can understand why the NVH guys may have done this. The bass resonance is noticeable in the upper gear tip-in lugging as described previously. However, I like it better as I can hear what the car is doing all the time.

So it -appears- that a LED spoof load fuse may not be necessary to prevent CEL. A simple relay control as proposed elsewhere may be all that's necessary.
So you pulled the fuse and the primary valves stopped closing when going into four cylinder mode? I find it extremely annoying to here the valves open and close when you are driving in the city and different speeds.

Like you, I have the sound management to off. Does the car sound weird with the v-4 valves open? I always figured they closed due to more vibration or noise coming from the engine in four cylinder mode.
PGCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
transpat

Drives: 14 stingray
I see someone mention the valves close during V4 mode. Can you stop V4 mode from happening? Put drive mode to sport and still hear them shut on light throttle.
Thanks
transpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by transpat View Post
I see someone mention the valves close during V4 mode. Can you stop V4 mode from happening? Put drive mode to sport and still hear them shut on light throttle.
Thanks
On my manual trans C7, I can prevent V4 mode by simply not using it in Eco mode therefore the pre-muffler exhaust valves are open. When they are closed (in Eco mode in my car), exhaust gasses still pass through since there is a small orifice opening in the valve, kinda like a diaphragm.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote