Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
WiFi RGB Controller + Music/Sound Controller

Can it be done?

Or at least have the sound sensitive feature somehow be added inline to the WiFi RGB Controller?

I love the idea of controlling the lights via my android devices. And, since my android device is going to control a soundboard and play "bumblebee" audio clips, I'll be able to sit next to the car and interact with the kids when they talk to bumblebee.

Those of you who own a Bumblebee and go to car shows know what I'm talking about..

But, I also want a sound sensitive option so that when I make BumbleBee talk, the halos/demoneyes/other lights, pulse with the audio clip.

It's going to be AWESOME if I can pull this off.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
CaryE1

Drives: Black 2011 2LT
I have been looking at a TON of LED options and controllers, and finding one with everything I want has been difficult... And the good ones are so $$$!

What your asking isn't possible to do an "inline" setup. Controllers don't have an "input" for lights - only an "output" to them. They cannot be connected in circuit (except in the case of a repeater - which just amplifies the signal coming in allowing for extending the amount of lights a controller can affect). So you can't pass any RGB control signals through them. So you really need a custom solution to do what you want, and you'd probably want to take with some lighting experts on that.

But, I think that depending on your setup and your controller(s) you may be able to do a bypass - a total PITA, but maybe do-able... First, you'd need to use a controller similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Sound-...item337fb72115.

Then, the trick is that you'd need to splice some wires from the leads on the lights to the appropriate leads on each controller -- so each lead on the light would have two wires going in, one from each controller. (Not sure if I explained that very well...)

You can only use one controller at a time. So when you "talk" the "regular" controller would need to be off and vice-verse. (In fact, if both controllers were on at the same time, it might burn them out...)

It would be safer (and easier) to simply use a completely separate circuit of LEDs for the "talking" than your normal "regular" set. I agree that it wouldn't be as cool, though... But there are super bright LEDs out there that could be placed discreetly in turn signals, headlights and other places that would still look OK.

Oh, just thought of a much better option - use Arduino to create your own controller. Arduino is an open-source electronic platform for creating interactive electronics - basically a way to build and program your own controllers for anything electronic - in this case, your lights. That could be designed to handle an inline setup, and you have a ton of control in the output. But, you'd need to do that from the ground up, and it takes some knowledge of electronic components and programming.

Last edited by CaryE1; 05-03-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Thought of another option
CaryE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

no, you explained it fine. I like the idea of possibly running LED's to turn signals another small features to make it "talk", while using the wifi controller the control the rest of the lighting. I think even the music controllers have the option for some sort of color fade when it isn't picking up musical or sound input.

That would probably be the most simplest way to do things too. I have been looking at the possibility of using an Arduino board or other set up possibly a raspberry Linux computer. Rasberries are super small and could probably be programmed to do what I want to.

Appreciate the input
Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Garret

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Victory Red
Does the music controller change colors? or is it just effects? cause i would think if u wired the RGB remote into a music remote it might be possible idk, What ive noticed is if you have enough switches and about a football field of wires anything is possible
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Cary's I'd about wiring up the sound controller separately gave me an idea. I'm thinking of wiring up only certain lights to the sound controller. namely, the halos, behind grill lights, fog light halos. So, I think that only having a few key lights being sound-reactive will give the impression that bumblebee is talking when I use the soundboard to play various phrases.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
Holy crap, this will be awesome if you can pull it off somehow! I can picture the look on the kids faces when Bumblebee responds to them. If I were you I'd message nicave13@gmail.com (that's his username on here) - he is the 'LED God' and I'm sure he could figure something out. He's very knowledgeable with this type of stuff.
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote