Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #127
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goertz View Post
little bit of progress today.

I just got home from work and pops had machined out my new 2016 LT1 oil pressure sending unit to 1/8npt adapter sandwich

Tomorrow morning I pickup my new -4an 15ft custom made line for $70
Pops is just modifying the factory oil cap tom for me so we can get oil returned there but will be machining a nice billet one out soon.

Hopefully tomorrow evening we can be back up and running.

Keep you guys posted as usual. Got to go get ready for sleep apnea sleep study test down at VA right now....
I think we know why you need a sleep study, Your mind is stuck in overdrive

All kidding aside Sleep apnea is nothing to play around with I hope they can help you, Good Luck!!
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #128
SSNYSTR

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
SSNYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #129
Goertz

Drives: 2016 1SS Auto
Ok so updates for today:

Sleep Apnea test results, I quit breathing 10 times in my sleep. Being the VA though it will take 6 weeks to get results back and see what follows next. And apparently out of a 8 hour night only got about 3 hours of sleep. Guess this could explain why I'm always so tired

Car updates.
The oil fitting we machined out based on lsx oil pressure sending unit thread specs wont work for the lt1. It is a different thread (not 16x1.5mm like lsx) so machining out a new one tomorrow morning with proper threading. Car will be back up running around lunch tomorrow.

Then I get to clean and detail the frak out of it, it hasn't been washed in about a month since I have been busy so much between family (had a mini vacation in Cali last month) and fab work all this month thus so far.

Luckily it will be cleaned and detailed in time for our adults night out for our lifting squad (I'm part of a team of competitive weight lifters and bodybuilders). It will be great as long as our sitter (aka gramma) doesn't peeter out on us tomorrow night and decide to go on a Harley ride with grampa.... Ohh the joys of a family business

So stay tuned for updates tomorrow with hopefully the car freshy washed, vacced and if I have time even waxed
Goertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #130
Goertz

So everything is plumbed in but we guess the pump was damaged when it putted out the other day. It worked for about 5 mins then back to blowing fuses. Good thing I have another pump on order that should be in soonish next week hopefully.

Anyways car is parked in the back of the driveway till the new pump comes in. Note to self dont use a single pump to try to pressurize and scavenge the turbo on self sustained oiling system. Use 2 pumps if your going to do that.... lol hey it was worth a shot at least. Someone has to pioneer this stuff....
Old 07-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #131
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
Wasn't 30 psi too much oil pressure?

I would look deeper into pump selection. Just saying.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #132
Goertz

the oil pump was making its own pressure and handling the oil scavenging prior. It was actually up to 50psi. Obviously this posed to be to much work for the pump. Had we designed in a pressure relieve valve to feed excess oil back to the oil reservoir we shouldn't have had any issue. Unfortunately its all a day late now though as the pump is damage.

Car is routed with a typical oil feed from the engine now with pump to scavenge and send back to engine, with the pump being damage though so we will have to wait till my new pump comes in.

I had got this exa turbowerx pump off of ebay and I'm wondering if I had been ebayed with it all...

We are going to pull the pump off here within the next few days (don't feel like messing with it right now) and take it apart to see what happened exactly and if we can repair it.
We think that the shafts the rotors are mounted on had gotten bent a little from the overly high pressure and this is why it goes into locking up.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #133
Goertz

Talking with someone from Turbowerx on the oil pump issues and are going to try and help us through this issue.

Stand up company right there especially with me not having bought directly from them
Old 07-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #134
MIAMI2SSRS

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS Camaro
MIAMI2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #135
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:
Ok so updates for today:

Sleep Apnea test results, I quit breathing 10 times in my sleep. Being the VA though it will take 6 weeks to get results back and see what follows next. And apparently out of a 8 hour night only got about 3 hours of sleep. Guess this could explain why I'm always so tired

Car updates.
The oil fitting we machined out based on lsx oil pressure sending unit thread specs wont work for the lt1. It is a different thread (not 16x1.5mm like lsx) so machining out a new one tomorrow morning with proper threading. Car will be back up running around lunch tomorrow.

Then I get to clean and detail the frak out of it, it hasn't been washed in about a month since I have been busy so much between family (had a mini vacation in Cali last month) and fab work all this month thus so far.

Luckily it will be cleaned and detailed in time for our adults night out for our lifting squad (I'm part of a team of competitive weight lifters and bodybuilders). It will be great as long as our sitter (aka gramma) doesn't peeter out on us tomorrow night and decide to go on a Harley ride with grampa.... Ohh the joys of a family business

So stay tuned for updates tomorrow with hopefully the car freshy washed, vacced and if I have time even waxed
Let me try and help you out on the sleep apnea. When I did my study I awake up every 2 1/2 minutes. Anyway if they set you up with a machine go straight for the mask that goes over your nose only. That had me try a couple other masks and they didn't work. Trying to get set up with that one myself. Everyone with that type say they work great. Good luck with the sleep apnea and the lifting competition.
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #136
Country Boy

Drives: Eh..
My girlfriend is a rep for sleep Apnea equipment. It's not a good thing to have. She had me wear a full face because I can't breath through my nose. I loved the machine (best one out) but the hose and mask bothered me too much.

The oil problems have always plagued the rear mounts. Good luck with the fix. It looks good.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #137
Goertz

have a nifty little inline oil filter I ordered from Turbowerx trying to fix this pump locking issue.

They are suggesting that is/has ingested some small debri that is locking it up. The oil filter should hopefully be in Tuesday evening so I can dabble at making progress with it again.

Hopefully within a week my new oil pump will come in as well and we can take the turbowerx out and build a really nice test stand. It seems by what they are saying that the pump is ok it is just picking up some gunk. When the test stand is built we are going to machine out our own bypass pressure valve and re-work our stand alone oiling system. After we can create a reliable stand alone system (that will be extensively tested, say a 48hr endurance test running non stop). It will be transplanted back in the car and I will test it for a solid month before I give a stamp of approval on it. Until it has fully proven itself to me I will just be setting up the rear mount with a standard oil scavenging setup that pushes the oil back to the valve cover via the oil cap
Old 07-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #138
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Quote:
have a nifty little inline oil filter I ordered from Turbowerx trying to fix this pump locking issue.

They are suggesting that is/has ingested some small debri that is locking it up. The oil filter should hopefully be in Tuesday evening so I can dabble at making progress with it again.

Hopefully within a week my new oil pump will come in as well and we can take the turbowerx out and build a really nice test stand. It seems by what they are saying that the pump is ok it is just picking up some gunk. When the test stand is built we are going to machine out our own bypass pressure valve and re-work our stand alone oiling system. After we can create a reliable stand alone system (that will be extensively tested, say a 48hr endurance test running non stop). It will be transplanted back in the car and I will test it for a solid month before I give a stamp of approval on it. Until it has fully proven itself to me I will just be setting up the rear mount with a standard oil scavenging setup that pushes the oil back to the valve cover via the oil cap
Off the cuff, I don't buy Turbowerk's explanation. Don't you think that if you have that much gunk to lock up the pump that your turbo is basically toast now? That much gunk in your turbo bearings?

When I turbo charged my ZX-11 motorcycle, I went through several iterations of oiling systems. Turbowerks had a bad rep back then and several other turbo bike builders shied me away from it.

What I found to be the most reliable was a plain old spray pump from a garden tractor sprayer. (below) This thing was bullet proof and was made to handle nasty chemicals. It was still ticking along when I sold the bike.

Name:  MVC-011F.JPG
Views: 1000
Size:  127.6 KB
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #139
Goertz

I have a shurflo pump coming. 1.8gpm 35psi continuous rated.
8000-643-210 model number
Just have to wait for it to come in

We figured it would still be smart to have the little inline filter in it though.

And when we pulled the pump apart it was clean and turned nice and smooth so either it is binding up rotors on the housing or maybe the brushes are going out

Either way a brand new pump should be in soon and we can see how that goes

Last edited by Goertz; 07-25-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #140
Goertz

You can see in this picture how there rotors were rubbing the pump cover and have galled up. We are going to try taking off .003 and see how that goes.
Attached Images