Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
Marklar

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS V6
Welding vs Clamping an axle-back exhaust system

Is there any major benefit to welding versus clamping an axle-back exhaust system?

I plan on getting the MRT v2.0 system, and most of the install videos online show them clamping it together with the hardware from the manufacturer. A friend who's more experienced with car mods told me swears that you'll never get a good seal and you'll have exhaust leaks and more droning with a clamp as opposed to welding it. I want to clamp it in the off-chance that I'll want to re-install the original mufflers but if it makes the entire system faulty then I may as well go ahead and weld it together.

Second question: Has anyone dealt with Phastek before? I read on here that the cheapest place to get the system I want would be direct from the manufacturer. Phastek is currently selling MRTv2 for $80 less than ShopMRT. It seems kinda sketchy to me but anyone has used them with a good experience before I might as well go ahead and use them.
Marklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
Is there any major benefit to welding versus clamping an axle-back exhaust system?

I plan on getting the MRT v2.0 system, and most of the install videos online show them clamping it together with the hardware from the manufacturer. A friend who's more experienced with car mods told me swears that you'll never get a good seal and you'll have exhaust leaks and more droning with a clamp as opposed to welding it. I want to clamp it in the off-chance that I'll want to re-install the original mufflers but if it makes the entire system faulty then I may as well go ahead and weld it together.

Second question: Has anyone dealt with Phastek before? I read on here that the cheapest place to get the system I want would be direct from the manufacturer. Phastek is currently selling MRTv2 for $80 less than ShopMRT. It seems kinda sketchy to me but anyone has used them with a good experience before I might as well go ahead and use them.

I'm not an exhaust expert, but Phastek is a great company to do business with. They are a great dealer of ours and they provide excellent service to customers!

Enjoy your mods,
Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
What i had done to mine and what i suggest is a tac weld along with clamps, ive heard of clamps rattling off over time. A few tac welds and your good to go, if you ever want to change exhaust later you just saw them out.

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
I've had my CAT Backs clamped on for 3 years. No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I had my MRT V2 clamped for years and the only issue I had was the driver side muffler turned enough that it changed the angle of the tip which then burnt my diffuser. I didn't really care as I was going quad tip anyways.

You really shouldn't have an issue with clamps. Plenty of people run them and have zero complaints. Like mentioned before, tack welds will help it so the mufflers stay in place.

As for Phasteck, they are legit. I have ordered multiple times from them over the years and never had problem.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
Marklar

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS V6
Thanks guys! Sounds like I'll be ordering my exhaust here soon!
Marklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #7
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post

I am experiencing that issue now actually, will fix it tomorrow. I would prefer weld but when those mufflers go and it is time to replace then there will be an issue.My Cam upgraded LS3 puts out so much force it would always push back the Corsa, Magnaflow exhaust and now the Kooks custom mufflers I have on. The power, sound , and driveability changes when exhaust backs off and increase volume. With the welded custom system I had on the car always behaved in a consistent manner as far as power goes.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #8
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Weld it, I have had my MRT's for 6 years. Welded them shortly after the install. No issues in all this time. Why mess with the clamps at all.

Yes, Phasteck is a good reliable company that has been around for a while.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
wfolarry

Drives: 2010 Silver V6/M6
I clamped mine on 5 years ago. Still doing fine.
wfolarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Had mine clamped and tack welded 5 years ago.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
tac weld keeps the pipes aligned so they don't move, but can be taken apart if desired.

Clamps will seal the leaks.

Welding is pretty much permanent.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote