The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 05-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
C7 on Vacation Dilemma

After reading horror stories and news reports about C7's being vandalized, broke into, wheels stolen, etc.

The wife and I are having serious second thoughts about taking our C7 on vacation. Wheel locks and such only keep honest people honest.

We'll probably end up taking our '13 Malibu. Granted, it won't be as fun on the Tail of the Dragon, but at least we won't have to worry about walking out of our hotel to an empty parking spot, smashed window, or our C7 sitting on blocks when we're 1500+ miles from home.

Where's Chuck Norris when you need him?

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Kochaloch

Drives: C7 Z51, BENZ GLK 350, Titan
At least the 2LT gives you the advanced theft deterrent, that being said I don't think I would leave it outside a motel 8. Try to find somewhere with lit/monitored parking.

8/20/2013 - 1100
1/16/2014 - 2000
1/20/2014 - 3000
1/24/2014 - 3300
2/10/2014 - 3400
2/14/2014 - 3800
2/26/2014 - Delivered!!!
Kochaloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
I know I have the advanced theft deterrent, but like any theft deterrent there is a way to beat it.

We still have a few more weeks to decide.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
Down_Range_King
Win the day

Drives: F250, Tahoe, LRG C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51Stingray View Post
After reading horror stories and news reports about C7's being vandalized, broke into, wheels stolen, etc.

The wife and I are having serious second thoughts about taking our C7 on vacation. Wheel locks and such only keep honest people honest.

We'll probably end up taking our '13 Malibu. Granted, it won't be as fun on the Tail of the Dragon, but at least we won't have to worry about walking out of our hotel to an empty parking spot, smashed window, or our C7 sitting on blocks when we're 1500+ miles from home.

Where's Chuck Norris when you need him?
My wife and I just returned from Tail of the Dragon yesterday. We stayed in Gatlinburg, TN in a cabin about 1/2 mile off the main drag (walking distance if you don't mind an uphill trek back to the cabin). I have two points for you based on my experience. And keep in mind it they are my opinions.

1. I never felt uneasy about parking overnight anywhere during my trip. The wife and I were in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, The Biltmore Estate in Ashville, SC, the Corvette Museum, and Nashville, and all we experienced were smiles, thumbs-up, waves, and picture taking. Particularly at Tail of the Dragon, at the souvenir shops at Deals Gap, the motorcycle folks paid a grudging respect to the C7.

2. If you take your Malibu to Tail of the Dragon instead of your Corvette you will regret it. TOTD and a C7 is a hand in glove, match made in heaven!

Drive your C7 on the TOTD. Put it into track mode and attack the dragon! The smile on your face will outshine the sun. Don't let worries about what some jack-wagon might do to your parked car spoil a singular experience.
Down_Range_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
Down_Range_King
Win the day

Drives: F250, Tahoe, LRG C7 Z51
Z51stingray, I don't know if you are planning on staying in Gatlinburg, but if you, are PM me and I will give you the info where the wife and I stayed.
Down_Range_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
scott53

Drives: '19 Camaro 2SS, '12 GMC Yukon
I understand your concerns. I've been driving Corvettes for 25 years and every time we travel overnight I am paranoid. But trips in Corvettes are so much fun that I force myself to overcome my concerns. As someone said, “That is what insurance is for.” I'll take the chance, but I do try to mitigate some of the risk. I follow a plan I developed many years ago.

First, I research the crime rate of an area before I make hotel reservations. I do this by using the website http://www.city-data.com/crime/. If the crime rate is too high, I select another location. We usually stay at Hampton Inns or Hilton Garden Inns as their beds are the most comfortable for our bad backs and they are usually located in good areas. I park at the front of the hotel within line of sight of the front door and under a light. I never park in the back of the hotel. At registration I request a room facing the front parking lot, so that I can see the car from the room. When I wake up during the night I look out the window and check on the car. It makes me feel better to be able to do so. I do this on every trip, not just when we travel in a Corvette. My wife thinks I overdo it. My response is that I am in charge of our safety and security and I take my job seriously. All has been well so far. Hopefully it will continue to be so. None of this is an iron clad guarantee that nothing will happen, but perhaps it helps and is better than no plan at all.

We have a trip in the C7 to Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes Wine Trail planned for late May. I can hardly wait for our first overnight road trip in this awesome car! Life is short. Have fun and enjoy the journey, is my motto.
scott53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
CruznCorvette

Drives: 2014 C7
I'm doing a circle tour of Lake Superior in late June with the C7. My biggest fear will be getting run over by a moose.

CruznCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
It's a car that is so fun to drive it is a shame that this would stop you :(

It's just a car at the end of the day... have good insurance, take it and have a blast!!

I'm taking mine to the Montreal Jazz fest next month... and happy to do it, vandals and all
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Tail of the Dragon absolutely requires that you take the vette!

Why have the car if you're too afraid to take it anywhere? Just be sure your insurance is current, and enjoy!
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I've done The Snake in my Audi...didn't realize Tail of the Dragon was so close as well. I will definitely be hitting those two on my way back from the Hot Rod Power Tour

As far as leaving it outside hotels, going to have to do it. Will be careful, however I'll also be well-insured.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #11
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
I agree with everyone else. As long as you have good insurance, take the Corvette and have some fun!!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #12
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I've been on numerous vacation trips with my Corvettes and never worried about break ins etc. As mentioned earlier pick a hotel in a low crime rate area, one with a well-lit parking lot, park near the front door, request a room facing the lot. You might call the hotel in advance and see if they have video security cameras on the grounds. Park in a group of cars. All alone in a corner is not the place to be. Maybe consider a DVR with portable camera you can set up in your room's window. It won't stop a break-in from happening but you might help the police afterward. Check with the local police for suggestions of hotels to stick and those to avoid.

Most importantly take the Stingray on vacation! If you don't , you'll just regret it later, and the criminals will win by default. You bought the car to have fun, so have fun with it! Hell, the potential exists that something could happen to it while you're away should you leave it home!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #13
C7BOB

Drives: 2012 C6 COUPE
I've travelled many miles in 6 Corvettes and never had a problem.

I rarely make reservations ahead of time - I like to check the area first.

I try to park where it can't be seen from the street - back part of building, next to a large vehicle, etc.

Don't clean it - the dirtier it is, the less attractive it is.

Don't leave anything in car that thieves might want.

Try to get a room where you can see your car, or after you get your room, move your car to where you can see it.

Like this:

2005 LeMans Blue coupe, black int., A4, 1SB, NCM Delivery 4/25/2005
2003 gray/black coupe, A4, F55, 12CD, NCM Delivery 9/16/2002
2000 green/tan coupe, A4, NCM Delivery 5/16/2000
1996 CE silver/gray coupe, A4
1993 green/tan coupe, A4

Last edited by C7BOB; 05-16-2014 at 11:16 PM.
C7BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
I'll NEVER let the "bad Guys" change the way I want to live...........Do what you want that makes you happy.......I doubt anything will happen, but if it does, you're a big boy and you'll get it handled. Nothing against a Malibu......but what will you do if the house burned down with your vette in it while you're gone..................Drive the C7
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote