Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
Siberian Husky

Drives: 1972 240z SBC 350/T5 Swapped
New Dad Wants 2016 Camaro

Long story short, my wife got bit by a (read: mine) trouser snake and we just welcomed a new baby girl. I had an Evo X and although I enjoyed it, sold it because it just never really satiated me. The older I get, the less I care for turbo-4 engines and the more I crave torque v8. My project/track car is a 240z with 350 SBC, so naturally I have grown to love v8s.

My problem is that I have narrowed down my choices for my next car with the 6gen Camaro as one of those choices. I actually had a deposit down on a 2016 Chevy SS, but got sticker shock at the idea of 50k out the door, and with the wife getting cold feet on the finances I decided to withdrawal from that plan. I love the LSX platform, but am learning to love the LT1 just as much as I test drove a 6gen 2ss Camaro the other day and it knocked me in my seat.

As much as I want (and feel I *need*) a 4-door with the kiddo, I wanted to get some perspective on people's experiences with either the current back seat situation or even last generation's backseat capabilities in regards to putting a child there. I'd rather not get into the details of it all, but I really want to be able to use the car with my little family in mind and it would be a deal breaker if a child/baby seat wont pragmatically work with this car. I've found an early thread referencing with pictures showing that some car seats do indeed fit, but I guess I just wanted some first hand anecdotal experience with the 6th gen and its potential uses as a backseat baby hauler.

If only the market had something more to offer in a v8 4 door variety with a manual transmission, I might have an easier time deciding on a car, but sadly those days are gone. I appreciate any input on this and hopefully I can find myself in a White 1SS 6M in the future with the kiddo in the back!

Edit: This wont be a primary vehicle. We have a 2006 Corolla for commuting and my wife has a 2016 civic sedan we can also use. This would be my car that I would occasionally use to take the fam out for cruises/weekend trips/car meets/etc.
Siberian Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
Are you aware that the Chevy SS does come in a manual trans, and many around the country are closer to $38-40k this month with the 15% sale GM is offering?
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
You will try to fit the baby seat on the back , and it will be a pain , but it has been done before
The thing is that you want a 2doors sport car , and the inner you want it to cover all the things around your life
It will work for a couple trips , then ,,,,,
No , it's way two much trouble ,,,taking the Honda /Corolla , and you wil stil have the camaro for those special days /trips
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
Are you aware that the Chevy SS does come in a manual trans, and many around the country are closer to $38-40k this month with the 15% sale GM is offering?
This^

There are some fantastic deals out there for the Chevy SS, and they do come in manual also. It's an excellent car, I was looking at them myself.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
suzook

Drives: camaro
Sorry, but a camaro makes no sense to haul around a baby. Sure it can be done, but its a HUGE pita.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #6
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Good luck finding a 2015 SS new in a manual.

I drove a SS and a Camaro SS back to back last night. SS left me underwhelmed, but it was also an automatic.. Idk, maybe I expected it to ride too nice, but Camaro rode nicer.

I'd probably get a Challenger if I were in your shoes.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #7
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Discounted 6M SS sedan is the way to go for you for sure. It has the bones of the G8 and the 5th gen Camaro.

You may have to go far to find one. But it will be worth it. Some dealers will ship.

Handles great and if you get bored with it bolt on a supercharger.

The CA6 is just too small. And no backward facing car seat hooks in the back.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
Siberian Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
Yes I am aware as the one I had preordered was 6M. Also it is such an impossibility to find a 15 in the color/options I want. Its such a low volume car that in order to get it the way you want, you almost need to preorder.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
Rooster

Drives: None
Try a Challenger Scat Pack if you want a great looking two-door. Massive lump under the hood, great manual, and you can fit the right rear-facing car seat in the back middle position.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #10
Siberian Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Good luck finding a 2015 SS new in a manual.

I drove a SS and a Camaro SS back to back last night. SS left me underwhelmed, but it was also an automatic.. Idk, maybe I expected it to ride too nice, but Camaro rode nicer.

I'd probably get a Challenger if I were in your shoes.

Yes, I was also considering the challenger R/T scat pack, but I literally know nothing about Chrysler products, and I wanted to stay with familiar GM/Ford.

Many of the responses so far confirm some apprehensions my wife and I have. Guess I can just go to the dealer and take the car seat with me and get an idea.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #11
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Husky View Post
Yes, I was also considering the challenger R/T scat pack, but I literally know nothing about Chrysler products, and I wanted to stay with familiar GM/Ford.

Many of the responses so far confirm some apprehensions my wife and I have. Guess I can just go to the dealer and take the car seat with me and get an idea.
Unless your wife is like 5'2" and can scoot the seat all the way forward, I don't think it's gonna work out for ya man😕

Even in my old ZL1, which is noticeably larger in the back seat, I couldn't make a rear facing car seat work. I had to turn my daughter around front facing when we would ride, and she was 2.5 years old then
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #12
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
I have had Camaros since 92, and still have my Gen 3, Gen 4 & Gen 5 (to be traded for Gen 6 in a couple days). I also have a total of 7 kids (6-24), but only 2 are still home now (6-7). The rear facing car seats are a pain, as you have to move the front passenger seat almost all the way forward to get it in and out. Once the little ones can move to a forward facing, it became easier. However, from what I have seen, the Gen 6 back seat is smaller than the Gen 5.

As my personal opinion, take the car seat to the dealership and try to fit it in the car. If you think you can live with the process, go for it.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #13
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Old 04-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #14
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
So I agree with almost everything that has been said- the Camaro is impractical as a family car. BUT I purchased one anyways. I became a new dad 3 months ago and finally picked up my Camaro a week and a half ago. I have been on 3 short rides with my wife and newborn in the car. Yesterday I managed to fit the baby and wife in the back seat, and the Bob stroller in the front seat. I plan on taking my wife (5'2") and baby on a 250 mile road trip at the end of the month.

So why did I buy it? Well, I have two other cars- Honda Fit and a Chevy 2500 pickup. the Camaro is primarily for my commute, date night, and autox. Feel free to ask me any questions since was in a similar situation.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote