#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #29
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Great input from everyone. Glad to know that I am not the only manual guy rethinking his position on things. Does it concern anyone that we have no durability testing on the A10 specifically related to track days (either straight line or twisties)?
Yes. It concerns me a little. I've had nothing but bad experiences with GM auto transmissions. I really want to get over it but even my last one the A6 in my 2014 Camaro 1LT was ....ummm....lets say iffy.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #30
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
LOL

and that's saying something, because I'm borderline myself!
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #31
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
If I can afford the ZL1 I'll probably go with the A10 and I never thought I would hear myself say that. But gone are the days of archaic 4 speed autos that have no place in motorsports. Today's autos are even better than a lot of DCTs or SMGs from just a few years ago. Every time I watch the video of this A10 I can't believe how fast it shifts. I swear it sounds as fast as an F1 car on upshifts. If they can get away with not having the gas guzzler tax on the A10 but not the M6, that will automatically cut $1,300 off the price of the A10 option. I can see this happening. No way will they get away from the GG tax on the M6 with only one OD and a 5th gear 1:1 ratio in my opinion. Can you imagine a CAGS that makes you go 1st to 5th lol
The LT1 6speed ZL1 shouldn't have the gas guzzler tax even with the 1 OD . The manual Z06 accomplished it easily.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #32
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Yes. It concerns me a little. I've had nothing but bad experiences with GM auto transmissions. I really want to get over it but even my last one the A6 in my 2014 Camaro 1LT was ....ummm....lets say iffy.
not to talk crap about trans behind the v6, but the autos in the SS and ZL1 are the same trannys in the 100s of thousands of GM trucks rated to tow 12,000 lbs, also the Z06 and CTS-V.
if that tranny ends up sucking, GM follows. my .02
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #33
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Sometimes I feel like this forum is bi-polar... All this love for the A10 and how sophisticated and fast it is..

Then you read a thread like this one.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445352

and, there's so much dislike for autos that it borderlines on manhood jabs.
ROFL!!!!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #34
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
No one who has driven a twin clutch PDK and a torque converter believes GM's marketing hype. A torque converter will never compete with a twin clutch.
I haven't driven a PDK but I can tell you that the A8 is much better than the BMW DCT. And all signs point to the A10 being better and more responsive than the A8 so I'm very excited to see some actual magazine tests of it.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #35
theeulogy

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Quote:
No one who has driven a twin clutch PDK and a torque converter believes GM's marketing hype. A torque converter will never compete with a twin clutch.

Uhhh, the A8 is terrible. Even the Corvette Chief Engineer is on video telling people to buy the manual over the A8.
Let's hope the A10 is a game changer, because every GM auto has been terrible so far. That's why every GM I own has been a manual.
I drove the A8 a couple days ago, and it was worlds better than the A6 that was in my G8 GXP. I was very happy with the shifting speed, almost as fast as our VW CC DSG.

I think that they are not as good as a twin clutch, but they dont have that "going to stall" feel every time you take off. The VW CC we had, I always had this feeling it was going to stall when starting from a stop. It just felt weird. That being said, hands down it was my favorite transmission ever.

2015 Ford Explorer Sport

2015 Chevy SS 6A Roto Fab and Livernois tune(LSA to come)

2004 GTO APS Twin Turbo(sold)
theeulogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #36
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeulogy View Post
I drove the A8 a couple days ago, and it was worlds better than the A6 that was in my G8 GXP. I was very happy with the shifting speed, almost as fast as our VW CC DSG.

I think that they are not as good as a twin clutch, but they dont have that "going to stall" feel every time you take off. The VW CC we had, I always had this feeling it was going to stall when starting from a stop. It just felt weird. That being said, hands down it was my favorite transmission ever.
My 335is DCT DID stall a few times on me when trying to take off. And it wasn't like an old car where you just turn the key and take off again. It was quite the embarrassing process to get going again while people are honking at you. probably took about 10 seconds while in panic mode to do it.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:34 PM   #37
theeulogy

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Quote:
My 335is DCT DID stall a few times on me when trying to take off. And it wasn't like an old car where you just turn the key and take off again. It was quite the embarrassing process to get going again while people are honking at you. probably took about 10 seconds while in panic mode to do it.
I think that is why they did not gain widespread acceptance, they aren't as smooth on takeoff as a torque converter transmission.

2015 Ford Explorer Sport

2015 Chevy SS 6A Roto Fab and Livernois tune(LSA to come)

2004 GTO APS Twin Turbo(sold)
theeulogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:43 PM   #38
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
PDK is the DCT to be compared. Not BMW, not VW, etc.

DOWN shifts are the problem with the autos, and where DCTs shine.

But, I'm hoping the A10 is a game changer.
Agreed, but you're also talking about one of the best transmissions ever according to almost everyone. So all other autos, manuals, and DCT/MSG transmissions are compared to that and come up short, not just the GM A8.

I'm curious how fast a traditional manual downshift can be compared to the A8 or A10. I've tracked many manual cars and I still feel like the A8 is faster than my T-56 was while heel/toe shifting even.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #39
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I'm getting older too, so that is a factor.

I think at this early stage the notion of the A10 has many die hard manual fans thinking twice; but it is still early.
It's refreshing to find 2 new future ZL1 members coming out off the closet
,,,,,I'm getting old too ,,,,, no kidding
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #40
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Uhhh, the A8 is terrible. Even the Corvette Chief Engineer is on video telling people to buy the manual over the A8.
Let's hope the A10 is a game changer, because every GM auto has been terrible so far. That's why every GM I own has been a manual. If the A10 can remotely come close to a dual clutch experience, I will trade my manual 2016 SS for one.
and I believe that was due to the cooling issues on the A8 being left in full auto mode causing too much heat build up that the C7Z's systems couldn't dissipate it fast enough and causing them to go in to limp mode. Not that the A8 itself was garbage. Revised and/or augmented cooling would fix that issue and with the Camaro's larger frontal area and 3 engine radiators, it may not even manifest on SS. Once the ZL1 is out and run hard by the general public, then we'll see if the LT4 + A10 in it can be kept cool..

I will actually find out myself next month up at Road America how the A8 in my SS handles track that's fast and very hard on brakes, so I know the trans will get a work out. The area starting at 4 (which is easily 120MPH), through the down hill hard slowing left 90° in to 5, immediately hard acceleration uphill in to a blind tight left at 6, through 7 to (hard speed up) Hurry Downs and then speed bleed off at 8/9 in to the Carousel (hopefully you're at the correct entry speed and angle) puts a lot of strain on the brakes and up/down gears in the trans. Then you've got a slight slowing area before you enter the Kink and then you've got a solid hard braking area at Canada after Kettle in to the uphill climb again through 13. You at least get some speed from 14 to 1 to help cool the braking, but you're at WOT for something like 4400' so it's working the other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
ROFL!!!!

Last edited by HumanWiki; 03-30-2016 at 08:33 AM.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I'm curious how fast a traditional manual downshift can be compared to the A8 or A10. I've tracked many manual cars and I still feel like the A8 is faster than my T-56 was while heel/toe shifting even.
Oh, easily faster by far. But it doesn't feel as fast because there's a small delay between button-press and the actual shift.

The manual seems like it's fast because the driver is busy moving levels and pushing pedals.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #42
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Oh, easily faster by far. But it doesn't feel as fast because there's a small delay between button-press and the actual shift.

The manual seems like it's fast because the driver is busy moving levels and pushing pedals.
That is the answer I suspected and was looking for. People all complain about how slow the downshifts are on the A8 but they don't realize that it is still faster than they can manually do it.