The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
toccitruck

Drives: Mack trucks
Magnetic ride control Question

I hope I'm not wearing you guys out with all my questions.I am getting ready to order my C7,I have never owned a corvette before.Its
just me and my wife we want a weekend cruiser,looking to order aZ51 3LT,been told we don t need the Z51.On the other hand we keep hearing that the magnetic ride is a must? But to get it you need to order the Z51.The extra price is not a real problem,and we are planing on keeping the car for a while just want to make the right choice.Also say 10 or 15 years down the road will it be better just to have it all if we want to sell it?
toccitruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Someone looking for a 15 year old vette and it not having the mag isn't going to break a sale. Just get whatever you want now, and don't look back Especially if you're keeping it for that long.
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Tocci, here's my $0.02: the magnetic ride is NOT a must. If it were absolutely required, it would be standard, not an option. I have a Z51 coupe without the mag ride, and with over 8100 miles on the clock, can honestly say the car rides and handles just fine! And note, the Z51 is a moderate amount firmer than the non-Z51. I have driven my car almost daily, including on crappy Missouri roads and in really crappy winter weather. I have not missed the mag ride at all! I have also driven on a couple of 6+ hour road trips, and not felt discomfort from the suspension even on the longer trips. With only a very small percentage of road craters do I feel a harsh jolt, and I try to avoid them whenever possible in any car I drive. The Stingray is fantastic all around!

Now, adding the magnetic ride to me would be like adding a second layer of icing to a cake. It would just make the ride that much sweeter. Keep in mind, too, the mag ride really shines at the limits - it allows the car to handle that little bit better on the track, or reduce that particular pavement jolt to a smoother bump. It cannot, however, make the car float like a super-luxury cruiser. I mean, the ultra-low profile run-flat tires will have some inherent harshness simply due to the lack of flexibility in the rubber. And the Stingray is at its essence a race car built for the street.

One of my concerns for the magnetic ride has been cost of maintenance down the road. They work spectacular when new, but like any shock, are really a wear item. While under warranty, any failure is a non-issue, Chevy picks up the bill. But once that warranty runs out, replacements are on you - to the tune of around $1000.00 each! And we all know that once one shock fails, the others are probably pretty much worn out too. As I plan to keep my Stingray for many years, I really didn't want that kind of future cost to try and budget for. Once my shocks wear out, I can get factory replacements for perhaps 1/10th the cost, or even step up to some nice aftermarket manual adjustable shocks for about 1/5th the cost.

I think in the long run, you should get it or not based on what you yourself feel about it. I suggest finding some local Stingray owners and see if they will take you for a spin. That way you can experience the ride with both suspensions, and most Corvette owners will be happy to accommodate you! I took a friend for a road trip in mine when he asked the same question as you have, so he could experience the non-mag ride. He ultimately ordered his Z51 convertible without the mag-ride either!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
carsonulrich
3LT Z51 Torch Red Coupe

Drives: 1987 Corvette Convertible
Given how you intend to use the car, and don't feel the apparent need for a Z51. I would get a standard vette, save the money and try to get one that is available now, before the recent price increase. Getting a non-Z51 vette should be really easy right now.
carsonulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #5
C7BOB

Drives: 2012 C6 COUPE
If you are not going to race or take it to the track, you don't need the Z51. If you get the Z51, then you need the MR to have a comfortable ride.

I've had 6 Corvettes, all with standard suspension. My 2003 had the standard suspension with MR (not possible with the C7). My 2000 and 2003 were both C5s, first w/o MR, the second with it, and I could not tell the difference.

2005 LeMans Blue coupe, black int., A4, 1SB, NCM Delivery 4/25/2005
2003 gray/black coupe, A4, F55, 12CD, NCM Delivery 9/16/2002
2000 green/tan coupe, A4, NCM Delivery 5/16/2000
1996 CE silver/gray coupe, A4
1993 green/tan coupe, A4
C7BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:07 AM   #6
Second Vette

Drives: 2011 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by toccitruck View Post
I hope I'm not wearing you guys out with all my questions.I am getting ready to order my C7,I have never owned a corvette before.Its
just me and my wife we want a weekend cruiser,looking to order aZ51 3LT,been told we don t need the Z51.On the other hand we keep hearing that the magnetic ride is a must? But to get it you need to order the Z51.The extra price is not a real problem,and we are planing on keeping the car for a while just want to make the right choice.Also say 10 or 15 years down the road will it be better just to have it all if we want to sell it?
Doesn't sound like there is any reason for you to get a Z51.

Bear in mind that the styling is different, smaller five spoke wheels and no spoiler without the Z51 Package.
You can add the Factory Z51 Spoiler or the Low Rise Spoiler if you want the "look" without paying for $2,800 (now $4,000) Z51 Option Price.

With the March 3rd Price Increase it would be in your best interest to buy a non-Z51 from Dealer Inventory. Some are still discounting those.

Just my $.02 and remember, I'm just a stranger on the Internet.
Second Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
MSRC visually charted... this was from last year's NCM C7 Bash. You're more than fine with it, but you're still fine without it.
Attached Images

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
binko

Drives: Honda Accord
Just my 2 cents:
I am 61 years old and have a C7 with base suspension. I would rather give up a bit of handling in favor of a smoother ride. I do not use the car for track but rather to enjoy traveling in it.
I would be curious as to how the Z51 with Mag Ride set to softest compares to base suspension. This of course begs the question-if you are going with the Z51 and plan to set the Mag Ride to smoothest ride to get you back to what the base suspension offers, why go with it in the first place?
binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
scott53

Drives: '19 Camaro 2SS, '12 GMC Yukon
I'm 60 years old and I too wanted a weekend cruiser for me and the wife. I will not be tracking the car. I traded my 2010 Grand Sport in on a base C7. I did track the GS. I've not owned a Corvette with the magnetic ride, so can't comment on that part of the Z51 package. However, there is something else to take into account. Based on my expereince with the GS, their is a slightly higher long term cost to owning the Z51. The dry sump oil system is 9.8 qts v. 7.0 qts for the base. The tires on the Z51 are stickier (softer) and will wear more quickly and cost more to replace. The Goodyears on the GS were terrible. The fronts lasted less than 6000 miles. Apparently we have very abrasive road surfaces in SW PA. The Michelins may last longer, but they will wear out more quickly than the base tires. If you are not going to regularly track the car, you do not need the Z51 package. At least that is the conclusion I came to for our intended use. Hope this helps with your decision making. Whichever you choose, and both are fantastic, you are going to love your new Corvette!
scott53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I agree with pretty much what all the others say, except one thing C7BOB mentioned: he says the Z51 without magnetic ride will not be comfortable. FALSE! It IS comfortable, just perhaps not quite as comfortable as with the mag ride. Again, I speak with 8100+ miles of real world experience. And I can honestly say the Z51 without the magnetic ride is way better than my 2002 Corvette with the adjustable shocks ever was! Again, go for some rides in both cars. Only you know what "comfortable" means to you.

But then again, based on what you plan to do with the car, skip the Z51 entirely and spend the money personalizing it or decorating the garage or on weekend trips with the misses!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by toccitruck View Post
Every Vette owner is different and own their car for different reasons. Like everyone has said, if you have NO plans to track your car, you will be very comfortable without the Z51 & Mag Ride. The Z51 package with the dry sump and electronic rear differential and stiffer suspension was made for track use. The stock shocks will give you a great ride and even if you push it into corners, she will handle it very well.

Now if you have any thoughts that you WILL track her, to find out what she can really do and what you can learn from her, I would then lean towards a Z51 package. Adding Mag Ride gives you the best of both worlds. It would give you the ride of the stock suspension or softer and be able to ramp up the stiffness more than the Z51 shocks.

I love the mag ride in my Zl1 and would order it in every car that I plan to track. I do track the ZL1 and she is far better on the track than I am. Yet when I am cruising down the expressway, I get a much better ride than an SS Camaro and about the same as a V6 Camaro. Another suggestion is to go to a school like Spring Mountain or Bob Boundurant. Spend a couple of days learning what the car has to offer and what she can really do and let her make a better driver of you as well.

Like everyone here has said, buy the car for yourself and really have fun with her.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
You have to admit though, the Z51 package is quite impressive for the dollar and does change the look quite a bit. Larger wheels which are a nicer design in my opinion. The option to have them black from factory for a fair price as well as the possibility of the CFM side mirrors and spoiler, if you like that look. The spoiler does look great as well vs the base.
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #13
C7Driver

Drives: 2014 Z51 Lime Rock Green
Just got my Z51 with Mag Ride but with just 125 miles on the clock, so far, I can't really comment on how good it is. Got to wait for the weather to improve enough to allow a nice road trip.
C7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #14
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
There's only two types of folks, those who have magnetic ride and those who wish they did.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote