Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #15
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Could these cars really hit 190 in 5th?

Only reason I ask is 5th feels so unreasonably short compared to how tall 4th is, or are we diving deep into the redline till fuel cutoff to get the 190 MPH number?

Also, I've hit the fuel cutoff before on accident and wondered if I had a tuned car because it didn't seem to cut off till 6,500 or so. So this was informational, wonder why the LS3 is set so high but the LSA appears to cutoff right at 6,200 even.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
not stock. 178 or so if the 155mph limiter is removed. You can actually go faster in 5th then 6th. I believe some one said to get a 5th gen to 190 you need 800hp but
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #17
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
Could these cars really hit 190 in 5th?

Only reason I ask is 5th feels so unreasonably short compared to how tall 4th is, or are we diving deep into the redline till fuel cutoff to get the 190 MPH number?

Also, I've hit the fuel cutoff before on accident and wondered if I had a tuned car because it didn't seem to cut off till 6,500 or so. So this was informational, wonder why the LS3 is set so high but the LSA appears to cutoff right at 6,200 even.
Can the car really hit 190 in 5th? Well, maybe yes, but the real question is would you want to?

I doubt it would, because at some point beyond 150 the coefficient of drag increases exponentially. The charts used previously in the thread are simply calculations based upon drive ratios.

Let's also not forget that once into the 160 or so territory, weird things start to happen with the suspension, tires, and adhesion to the road. Unless we are talking about a perfectly flat, track prepped stretch of pavement, one wrong move, pebble patch, or dip in the road at 190 might be catastrophic. Unless the car were equipped with proper aero equipment and tires.

As far as redline for the LSA, I could only guess that it has more to do with protecting the supercharger.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:15 AM   #18
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
thanks
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote