#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
ZL1 1LE track Prep

Hey Folks,

I need a sanity check. Gone through the owners manual and the high performance supplement.

Car is broken in (1500 miles).

My question is on the diff fluid. Page 199 of the owners manual says to change it after the first track event, but to watch for high fluid temps. It then says to swap it after the first track event. The High perf supplement says nothing. I had assumed it should be swapped before the first track event? Am I missing something?

As for the rest:

Oil will be swapped to 15w-50 (page 15 high perf driving supplement).
Alignment will be to the factory recommendation.
I will remove the side air deflectors and the water tray.

Thanks!

Doug
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
You should swap the diff fluid prior to the first track event. I did and I feel it was a good decision. The magnets couldn't hold any more metal sludge even after only 1,500 miles. After the first track event I changed the diff fluid again, and it was much cleaner but still dirty enough to make me feel like the fluid change wasn't a waste of time. I plan to change one more time after the forth event, and I'm hoping for mostly clean fluid.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
travislambert

I use Mobil 15W-50 for the track. Just don't leave it for daily driving. I know Mobil states that the higher levels of zinc and phosphorus in the oil aren't great for emissions systems. I suppose for track use, the increased protection is a worth the build up in the emissions system.

Also, I believe the tire pressure specs on the regular ZL1 for track use is 28 PSI. This is a little high for a cold temp from my experience (at least with the regular G3 tires). My tires went from 28 PSI cold to 37 PSI on the track, and 37 PSI is borderline dangerous.

After driving to the track (tires warm), I now drop the pressures to 28 PSI which seems to be a good starting point.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Dwille

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I use Mobil 15W-50 for the track. Just don't leave it for daily driving. I know Mobil states that the higher levels of zinc and phosphorus in the oil aren't great for emissions systems. I suppose for track use, the increased protection is a worth the build up in the emissions system.

Also, I believe the tire pressure specs on the regular ZL1 for track use is 28 PSI. This is a little high for a cold temp from my experience (at least with the regular G3 tires). My tires went from 28 PSI cold to 37 PSI on the track, and 37 PSI is borderline dangerous.

After driving to the track (tires warm), I now drop the pressures to 28 PSI which seems to be a good starting point.
Thanks Travis. I appreciate the info. Out of curiosity did you change the diff fluid yourself? I'm letting the dealer do the first one. I did my 5th gen on my own. Not sure if the eLSD means the process is different or not.

Looking forward to getting the car on track!
Old 08-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
There's also a "2017 Camaro Models Track Preparation" PDF that's been linked to although , it doesn't say anything about the diff fluid.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
Dwille

Thanks ZL1 1LE,

I had seen that PDF. Pretty cool. How are you liking the car? The red is pretty astonishing isn't it?

Doug
Old 08-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
Vintage

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Dwille - will you be at COTA this weekend? Me too. So if you are there, I will come find you in my regular, silver SS 1LE.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwille View Post
Thanks Travis. I appreciate the info. Out of curiosity did you change the diff fluid yourself? I'm letting the dealer do the first one. I did my 5th gen on my own. Not sure if the eLSD means the process is different or not.

Looking forward to getting the car on track!
I did it myself. I'd be afraid to let a dealership mechanic touch my car. The guys I have dealt with in my local dealerships are clueless. I'd bet money they'd mess it up somehow.

The fact that it's an eLSD doesn't complicate anything. Others have documented the process on the forum, so I won't rehash it all here. In short, you need 2 quarts of this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BZS6J8
and one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQW5LK
Old 08-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #9
spotswood

Drives: Lexus, ZL1 1LE, Ducati, Suzuki,
Is it really necessary to remove the side air deflectors and the water tray on the hood?
I will be tracking my new ZL1 1LE in october for the first time.
I was reading my high performance supplement that came with the car and they are recommending a tire pressure of 44 psi for the goodyear eagle F3's I think.
Seems high to me but I can not find any other pressures in either owners book for them.
I am also changing my diff fluid before I track.
I am changing oil to Valvoline 5W 40 dex 2 and plan to use that on the road also as I am in Florida.
Switching oil filter to a Bosch and changing brake lines to stainless steel braided and fluid to Motul 600 which is a dot 4. Car came delivered with dot 3 fluid.
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #10
Dwille

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I did it myself. I'd be afraid to let a dealership mechanic touch my car. The guys I have dealt with in my local dealerships are clueless. I'd bet money they'd mess it up somehow.

The fact that it's an eLSD doesn't complicate anything. Others have documented the process on the forum, so I won't rehash it all here. In short, you need 2 quarts of this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BZS6J8
and one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQW5LK
Thanks Travis. Search is my friend. Looks stupid easy, exactly like my gen 5.

Just found it, I knew I read it somewhere...page 210 of the owners manual. Conflicts with page 198....lol. Anyway, gonna do it.

Last edited by Dwille; 08-23-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #11
Dwille

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
I was reading my high performance supplement that came with the car and they are recommending a tire pressure of 44 psi for the goodyear eagle F3's I think.
Seems high to me but I can not find any other pressures in either owners book for them.
Page 16 of the high performance owners manual supplement lists tire pressures for various situations. Have a look. They recommend starting cold pressures of 26 psi for the ZL1 1LE with hot target pressures of 32-35.

I'd remove the drip tray for sure. Just a few bolts and it will vastly improve heat extraction.

Last edited by Dwille; 08-23-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #12
Dwille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Dwille - will you be at COTA this weekend? Me too. So if you are there, I will come find you in my regular, silver SS 1LE.
Unfortunately not this weekend. :( Good luck though! Hopefully we will cross paths in the fall.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #13
spotswood

Drives: Lexus, ZL1 1LE, Ducati, Suzuki,
Thanks Dwille.
I will look again. That sounds better.
gary
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #14
Dwille

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
Thanks Dwille.
I will look again. That sounds better.
gary
Glad I could help. My family is laughing at me as I nerd out over the owners manuals.