Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #29
Miraclewhip

Drives: 2012 BLK / IO / 2SS / RS / Vert
ya get GM pricing by working for GM....

some times they run promotions for the public, otherwise...you dont.
Miraclewhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #30
swagled

Drives: Y2000 Olds Intrigue
I think I got the answer to my question, on one of the larger threads about allocations. The manufacturer allocation is provided to the dealers on the "consensus" report that forecasts the production capacity of the plant. Dealers order cars based on that, but normally leave a few spots open in their "allocation" to fill later with customer orders. They don't have to - they may simply order all of their allocation right away, and likely will, if a car is very scarce.

When dealers decline to fill their allocation, it can be offered to other dealers that are selling higher volume. That's why you may hear there is no allocation available ... then a few days later, there is.

Think of allocation more like "rationing" with a bit of use-it-or-lose-it, and the process begins to make sense.
swagled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #31
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
i just posted this on another thread after reading a lot and talking to people that work for GM. i don't know how accurate it is, but it is very similar to what miraclewhip said.

the way i understand things, invoice does not include the advertising fee of approximately $500, depending on the dealer. every dealer incurs that fee and is supposed to charge that fee if they give you invoice pricing. it does not matter that they did not advertise "your" car because you custom ordered it, that fee is just an arbitrary number assigned to every car purchase just like the 900 or whatever is charged for every car for shipment regardless of where they ship it. from carsdirect.com:

Advertising. For example, Verizon spends 70% of its revenue, which comes out to seven billion dollars, on advertising. Car companies are no different, and it's not cheap. They pass this national advertising cost into the invoice price of their cars.

preferred pricing includes that advertising fee on the other hand, so a lot of times preferred pricing can actually be cheaper than invoice + advertising, which is what most of you are probably paying when you actually say you are only "paying invoice." in fact i wouldn't be surprised if some of you paying under invoice are getting charged a very high "advertising fee" to make up for the difference in invoice rebating the dealer is giving you. we'd have to of course compare prices, but it would not surprise me.

then again, this is just what i have come to understand in my research. i could be wrong.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #32
swagled

Drives: Y2000 Olds Intrigue
The fees are always negotiable depending on how much profit there is elsewhere. Someone paying above invoice can probably get the advertising fee or the doc prep fee or cleaning fee removed. These things are pre-printed on the sales form but can be crossed out.

Some businesses that sell similar but necessary products, exist on very thin margins. I think grocery stores for example function on 3/4 of a percent to 1 and a half percent profit. It's pretty easy to go in the red if the power goes out and you face a lot of food spoilage. Common shoplifting can be enough. But everybody needs food and most cities are well covered by groceries.

I frankly think most sales have been close to invoice for a couple of decades now. Only a few uninformed immigrants might be persuaded that MSRP is for real. Heck, in most of the world, haggling over a sale is even more common practice than it is here.
swagled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #33
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
how much do you guys think i can get a 2011 1SS/RS under invoice for? its been sitting on the lot. MSRP is $33,900; they are selling it for $33,175; invoice is about $32,000 ... any ideas?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #34
PatsRS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
how much do you guys think i can get a 2011 1SS/RS under invoice for? its been sitting on the lot. MSRP is $33,900; they are selling it for $33,175; invoice is about $32,000 ... any ideas?
Since its a 2011 I would say between 32 and 32.5 at a minimum.

GM ALL THE WAY!

PatsRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #35
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
ugh that's where they're at, i need it lower for it to work. plus they kind of hosed me on the trade; we'll see if they get back to me.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #36
INDY SS

Drives: AN OLD PILE, buying a ZL1
There is a 1ss iom with black stripes on eBay with 92miles brand new for only $28,500.
INDY SS is offline   Reply With Quote