Cheaper than the ZL1 45 27.44%
More expensive than the ZL1 119 72.56%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #29
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
I don't see why it has to be compared cost wise to the ZL1. If anything it could cost about the same as the ZL1. Instead of the cost going into the creature comforts and being able to handle 640 hp/tq, put it into a "hopped up LT-1" aero, suspension, and adding lightness.

The real question is how extreme should they take the Z/28? Just enough to compete with the GT-350R in price, or just leap-frog again as they did with the 5th gen Z/28 and maintain similar pricing?
Beat ford at their own game...

Z/28

Z/28R ( Carbon Ceramic Brakes, BIG Spoiler, bigger splitter, no backseat possible CF wheels but that would be a long shot...
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #30
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
This is an interesting question. My thoughts:
1. I don't think they can get significantly more performance out of a LT1 powered Camaro than the 1LE. Without a power bump for the Z/28, the 1LE will be too close to really justify spending the money and would likely have trouble beating the ZL1.
2. The Zl1 and LT4 could certainly be even more track focused (a 1LE for the ZL1). I don't think the Z/28 will be relegated to an option package though and still have my doubts that it will be supercharged.
3. There is a 200hp difference between the SS and Zl1. There is a lot of room in the middle for a new engine. Unfortunately history says that any engine that shows up in a Camaro will likely be in a Corvette first (except the original Z/28). Currently there are no Corvette engines besides the LT1 and LT4. The grand sport was a perfect opportunity to introduce a new engine and we got nothing.
4. If a ZR1 comes out (and I think it will) it will likely get an LT5 and be slotted above the Z06/LT4 and thus will be supercharged (or turbocharged). This could be an option on the Z/28, but it goes against my theory of a NA engine.
5. In the previous Corvette/Camaro iteration, we got a detuned version of the ZR1 engine in the ZL1. Could they switch things up and give us an LTA in the Z/28? Maybe a naturally aspirated version of the supercharged LT5?
6. Perhaps they will introduce a new 500-550 hp engine in the Camaro for the Z/28 a la the GT350. 50th anniversary would be a great opportunity if they are ever going to do it. If they do they would most certainly need to follow the mustangs lead and provide a Z/28 that has normal amenities and can be the volume seller and a Z/28 R that is the hardcore track toy. This would help spread out costs and could provide the Corvette an upgraded engine for a future model or an upgraded base engine for 2018 models.

What about a modified LT4 sans forced induction? Better breathing, different cam better flowing heads for racetrack middle/top end power...
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #31
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
It will be one of three things

A) Most likely, a ZL1 based, LT4 equipped track monster. More expensive than the ZL1.

B) A 1LE based track monster equipped with a H/C version of the LT1, similarly priced to the ZL1

C) A 1LE based TTV6 powered track monster priced somewhere between the V8 1LE and the ZL1.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #32
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I hate to be the old fart that says "get off of my lawn" but if they put anything other than a V8 into the Z/28, regardless of performance, my and many others heads might explode. I'm generally not a huge "heritage" guy but to me the Z28 RPO is sacred and has to have a V8 as part of the package. Put the actual car wherever you want to in the hierarchy in 2017 as far as price is concerned but do not put a V6 in it. I respect everyone's opinion on this but I just can't agree with it if it includes being OK with a V6 in this car

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
―Obi-Wan Kenobi
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #33
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Well, if it's anything like the last one, it will cost more than the ZL1. Low sales volume cars, that require a slew of deletions, and redesigned stuff for lightweight are usually paid for by the consumer.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #34
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
It may start at the same price as a ZL1, but look for it with CC brakes to come out more, i see it this way, Members that will order there car will opt out to get the full car at top $ , there going to track the car more then one time, then there will be the guys that want a Z/28 but want it more for the DD, so there car will come with the look but not all the track parts on the car, if GM does it this way they will sale out on the Z/28.

So i see 2 Z/28 coming out, one will be a Z/28 and the 2nd will be the Z/28R
I'd love that idea. I'd opt for the DD Z/28 version. I won't be tracking it as much as others.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #35
HINEY1
TRANS4MR

Drives: Camaro's & Corvette's
IMO
GM Don't even make the Z28 if you can't drive it on the street
Most everyone wants a daily driver. You will sell 10 times more Z28s if you do this right
Don't make the same mistake again!
Old 05-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HINEY1 View Post
IMO
GM Don't even make the Z28 if you can't drive it on the street
Most everyone wants a daily driver. You will sell 10 times more Z28s if you do this right
Don't make the same mistake again!
For those that want a comfortable daily driver, there will always be the ZL1. Thats the beauty of going two different routes: you can appeal to two different buying segments & increase total sales.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #37
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
How about an option for roughly the same price. They should be two wildly different cars in function and use but don't really see the need to "slot" one above the other.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #38
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
After watching the videos, I believe the Z/28 will be a 1LE with aero package and optional brakes. (Carbon ceramic) sticker around $55-60k. Slightly under the ZL1.
Similar to the Vette lineup.
Stingray, Z51, Grand Sport, Z06
SS, 1LE, Z/28, ZL1
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #39
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
higher than ZL1...70-79k
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #40
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
higher than ZL1...70-79k
I agree it will probably be higher priced than the last model.

But at what point does it become to expensive for a Camaro?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #41
HeroNtheShadows

Drives: 2010 Honda CRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I agree it will probably be higher priced than the last model.

But at what point does it become to expensive for a Camaro?
$75k for me.... at that point you can get a year old, low mileage Z06....
HeroNtheShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #42
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Nice Viper.. Friend of mine down in Houston has an older ACR in for some Twins... as one of his toys..
I haven't seen you in the neighborhood..

Anyways, back on topic. I think they'll add a HUD and the stereo head unit all the over Camaros have. PDR might be included and that's about it. I could see a rear seat delete happen to save weight. All of this powered by some "LT7" style 7.0 V8 that Jonny Lieberman speculated about.

All of this priced just slightly above the ZL1.
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote