Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Not a good day

So today at my work, there was a cherry-bucket-style lift being used to clean the 2nd floor windows. I was watching the guy maneuver the thing around because he was pretty close to some of the cars. Anyway, all of a sudden I see mist flying everywhere. At first I assumed it was window washing fluid or something, but then we realized it was spraying out of the extension arm.

Turns out, it was spraying hydraulic fluid everywhere. The wind blew it around and covered 20+ cars in the lot, including my SS

Once I realized what happened, I was not happy at all. Luckily, I could leave work and go wash it. I called my dealer and they said go to one of the DIY high-pressure washes. I sprayed it with the high-powered soap wash, then rubbed everything down with a sponge. After that, I washed it again with the high pressure, rinsed it down thoroughly and finally dried it with a chamois.

I think everything is OK, but is there anything else I should be doing? I'm going to go over it with some black detailer wax spray when I get home this evening. Ugggghhhh.....what a day

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
So today at my work, there was a cherry-bucket-style lift being used to clean the 2nd floor windows. I was watching the guy maneuver the thing around because he was pretty close to some of the cars. Anyway, all of a sudden I see mist flying everywhere. At first I assumed it was window washing fluid or something, but then we realized it was spraying out of the extension arm.

Turns out, it was spraying hydraulic fluid everywhere. The wind blew it around and covered 20+ cars in the lot, including my SS

Once I realized what happened, I was not happy at all. Luckily, I could leave work and go wash it. I called my dealer and they said go to one of the DIY high-pressure washes. I sprayed it with the high-powered soap wash, then rubbed everything down with a sponge. After that, I washed it again with the high pressure, rinsed it down thoroughly and finally dried it with a chamois.

I think everything is OK, but is there anything else I should be doing? I'm going to go over it with some black detailer wax spray when I get home this evening. Ugggghhhh.....what a day
Might consider claying it to be sure you got all of the residue off if you have some. Then put a new coat of wax on over it afterwards and you should be fine.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Its mainly esters, glycols, some oils, water in those fluids....you'll be fine bro, trust me im a chemist. The wash, sponging and wipe took it all off, ur all good!

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
E.T.

Thanks, guys. I was pretty stressed out this morning after watching this happen, but this makes me feel better.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
norf

Drives: 2023 2LT RS
Nice wheels
norf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norf View Post
Nice wheels
Thanks! Forgestar F14's

Old 07-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
dang dude scary. As long as you washed it off pretty well you shouldn't have any issue at all.
I would feel a little concerned too for the guys up on the lift, seeing that their life support is slowly leaking away!
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I would have freaked out also! At least you were able to go get your car cleaned up when it happened. Your actions are exactly what I would have done. But, I bet you'll always be looking when you see a lift in action!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Dang! Did you (and the other 20+ cars effected) get any kind of info, or at least an acknowledgement of responsibility, from the window washers? If you do (did) what Muscle said you will probably be okay, but I'd have gotten some sort of acknowledgement from the window guys that they screwed up. Don't think the clay bar will be necessary but you never know. Good luck!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
At least it was only hydraulic fluid. A few years ago, I had a pretty sweet 94 Firebird with custom paint. I drove it to work like any normal day, and parked in my usual spot...front row. There was a new office building being constructed right next door to ours, about 80 feet from the parking lot. They painted the interior of the building, and somehow, overspray got on about 15 cars in the parking lot, mine being front and center. It was awesome, little white specks of paint all over my custom paint job...the builders were good about it though, they paid fro professional detailing of all the cars that were affected. Good as new!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Anything but brake fluid even though it sucks having to give it a emergency spontaneous wash.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
First thing I would have done was shit my pants.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:19 AM   #13
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Be glad you did not have a vert.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Dang! Did you (and the other 20+ cars effected) get any kind of info, or at least an acknowledgement of responsibility, from the window washers? If you do (did) what Muscle said you will probably be okay, but I'd have gotten some sort of acknowledgement from the window guys that they screwed up. Don't think the clay bar will be necessary but you never know. Good luck!
Yeah, I work at a hospital with its own Police Dept, so everything was documented just in case.

I went over it last night with some black detailer wax and I think I'm all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
At least it was only hydraulic fluid. A few years ago, I had a pretty sweet 94 Firebird with custom paint. I drove it to work like any normal day, and parked in my usual spot...front row. There was a new office building being constructed right next door to ours, about 80 feet from the parking lot. They painted the interior of the building, and somehow, overspray got on about 15 cars in the parking lot, mine being front and center. It was awesome, little white specks of paint all over my custom paint job...the builders were good about it though, they paid fro professional detailing of all the cars that were affected. Good as new!
Yeah, that's worse! At least they got you taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amz View Post
First thing I would have done was shit my pants.
LOL, trust me, it was close to being a "code brown"