Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponywars View Post
from what i've gather on the web here's what ill need

2000 sandpaper, primer, paint, polish

as far as i understand i wet stand the scratches, apply some primer & let it dry, apply paint & let it dry, apply polish

correct me if i am wrong
Let me say this one more time. Wait a week. Then if you still have the urge for it to be fixed, then DIY if you think you can or call up a shop.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
If you DIY'it you're not going to be happy. Then it'll really be noticable and you'll still end up taking it to bodyshop and spend $300-$500 on it. You all also be out all the cash you spend trying to fix it.

Get a couples estimates from a few different shops. If the sticker shock is really that troubling then follow jtruckenbrods advise and ignore it. The bad fix will look much worse than the scrapes. Results from DIY body work, particulaly if you've never done it before, rarely comes out good.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
from what i've gather on the web here's what ill need

2000 sandpaper, primer, paint, polish

as far as i understand i wet stand the scratches, apply some primer & let it dry, apply paint & let it dry, apply polish

correct me if i am wrong
None of that is right.

You wetsand scratches that arent through the clear. Those are gouges through everything.

And how are you going to apply your paint? Do you have a booth and sprayer?
And finally, you dont apply polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruckenbrod View Post
Let me say this one more time. Wait a week. Then if you still have the urge for it to be fixed, then DIY if you think you can or call up a shop.
If you can live with that then you don't belong in a detailing section IMO. I don't care if it's a day a week or a year. That's an absolute eyesore.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
None of that is right.

You wetsand scratches that arent through the clear. Those are gouges through everything.

And how are you going to apply your paint? Do you have a booth and sprayer?
And finally, you dont apply polish.

If you can live with that then you don't belong in a detailing section IMO. I don't care if it's a day a week or a year. That's an absolute eyesore.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
All we see is one up close picture. I'm sure if you look at the big picture (idiom) it's unnoticeable to anyone else. Of course it will be noticeable and stick out like a sore thumb for the owner, but to everyone else, it would be interesting to see if they do see it.

For instance... My booboo on my car looks like a reflection off the ground than a scratch.

But to each their own, we all have different preferences and priorities when it comes to our cars.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Quote:
it doesn't bother me that much
'nuff said.
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
midlife

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Sorry for the mis-fortune. I would double wipe the area with Actone to really clean it good. Next tape off each damaged area with real good fine line tape. Next use GM touch paint. Keep the paint low with just enough color to cover, Next apply some clear coat and overlap onto the tape. Wet sand the repair and leave the tape on until the sand paper cuts the tape. remove the tape & buff with compound using the 4" Adams pad on a cordless drill.
midlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #21
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
Sorry for the mis-fortune. I would double wipe the area with Actone to really clean it good. Next tape off each damaged area with real good fine line tape. Next use GM touch paint. Keep the paint low with just enough color to cover, Next apply some clear coat and overlap onto the tape. Wet sand the repair and leave the tape on until the sand paper cuts the tape. remove the tape & buff with compound using the 4" Adams pad on a cordless drill.
What you've described here will not address the gouges in the plastic and all you are effectively recommending is to strip the paint off the surface, paint over the existing damage then buff it off using a rotary device that will likely take off all the paint you've just applied. The gouges have to be sanded flat and feathered out into the paint so the surface is smooth to correct the damage before any paint or clear is applied to the surface. Only after new paint and clear is properly applied (and properly dried and cured) would you then polish if needed with a pad, and then still use a DA and not a rotary to finish or jewel off the surface.

No novice DIY'er is going to do it justice and this recommendation is not addressing the damage: only covering it over and buffing of the paint you've just applied it effectively leaving it to be seen and likely more noticeable than it is now.

Please be careful lending this sort of advise. It's dangerous in the wrong hands.