The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-30-2023, 02:17 PM   #1373
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Cliff Notes Main Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
3,882 Car Dealerships Ask Biden To Ease Throttle On EV Push

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/11...le-on-ev-push/
Representing all major brands that have operations across United States, the letter is composed of a total of 3,882 car dealerships voicing their concerns over the current push for EVs. In the letter, the dealers state that there is simply not enough demand to justify the influx of electric vehicles on their lots, which is creating a backlog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
Auto dealers call on Biden to hit brakes on unrealistic, unachievable electric vehicles mandate

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...te/ar-AA1kNtj9

Waiting for Martinjlm to spin...........
The auto dealers wrote that “the supply of unsold [battery electric vehicles] is surging, as they are not selling nearly as fast as they are arriving at our dealerships—even with deep price cuts, manufacturer incentives, and generous government incentives.”

3,882 is over 20% of the new car dealerships in the U.S.

Last edited by Iron Lung Jimmy; 11-30-2023 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Add'l info
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:12 PM   #1374
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
If there was any question EVs will never be more than a niche outlier in the automotive industry, here’s your proof. GM’s buying back $10b in stock with finances saved by scaling down future EV investment:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...69fd2263&ei=11
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:56 PM   #1375
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
If there was any question EVs will never be more than a niche outlier in the automotive industry, here’s your proof. GM’s buying back $10b in stock with finances saved by scaling down future EV investment:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...69fd2263&ei=11
Their buying the stock back because it’s down 28%, so basically, it’s on sale.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:57 PM   #1376
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Auto dealers call on Biden to hit brakes on unrealistic, unachievable electric vehicles mandate

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...te/ar-AA1kNtj9

Waiting for Martinjlm to spin...........
I don’t need to spin this. It is what it is. Thing is, Biden can’t mandate anything. And quite frankly, I sorta agree with the dealers. There should be a mix of hybrid, PHEV, and BEV. In that scenario buyers can buy the best vehicle for their needs.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 11-30-2023, 08:03 PM   #1377
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Meanwhile, Tesla delivered the first 10 Cybertrucks after showing a video of a Cybertruck beating a 911 in a 1/4 mile, while towing a 911. In fact, the towed 911 crossed the 1/4 ahead of the racing 911. On one hand, nothing about the Cybertruck appeals to me, but ya gotta admit that was quite the epic stunt.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2023, 08:13 PM   #1378
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Their buying the stock back because it’s down 28%, so basically, it’s on sale.
They’re using much of their future EV development budget to pay for it.

Mary herself said they’re upping reinvestment in gas and diesel engines now.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 11-30-2023, 08:15 PM   #1379
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

[QUOTE=olrocker;11384395]If there was any question EVs will never be more than a niche outlier in the automotive industry, here’s your proof. GM’s buying back $10b in stock with finances saved by scaling down future EV investment:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...69fd2263&ei=11[/QUOTE]

So this is what a niche outlier looks like. #4 and # 12 in the US in sales this year. Also #1 and #4 in the world. Niche. Right.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2023, 08:18 PM   #1380
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
They’re using much of their future EV development budget to pay for it.

Mary herself said they’re upping reinvestment in gas and diesel engines now.
They could do a number of things with the money they pull back from EV investment. Buying the stock back is a completely different decision path. They are buying it back because it’s undervalued. Corporate finance 101. If I had $10k for every time I can personally remember GM buying back stock I’d buy a C8.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:20 PM   #1381
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
"In that scenario buyers can buy the best vehicle for their needs."

FREEDOM!!

We've reached common ground.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:38 PM   #1382
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Common ground on a tilted playing field full of subsidies, unrealistic regulations, and carbon credits.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:44 PM   #1383
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Common ground on a tilted playing field full of subsidies, unrealistic regulations, and carbon credits.
Bingo!

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:02 PM   #1384
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
"In that scenario buyers can buy the best vehicle for their needs."

FREEDOM!!

We've reached common ground.
Common ground indeed. But I’ve always been there. I think where I have had the most debates is pushing back on people who think BEVs shouldn’t even exist. They do. They will continue to take market share. For a lot of use cases they are by far the best vehicle with the best value proposition. There’s a reason why Model Y is a runaway sales hit. It’s fast as f***. Faster than most muscle cars. It has more storage room than just about any SUV its size or even larger. With the price drops Tesla has made in 2023 it costs less than a lot of comparable ICE vehicles…BEFORE the $7,500 credit. And the cost of operation is ridiculously low.

I’ve always said that people who live in multi-family dwellings with no access to a parking spot where they can reliably plug-in would be much better off with a hybrid. At least until the multi-dwelling charging is figured out. Ironically I was speaking with a company today who has a nice solution in place in Montreal.

I’ve said dozens of times that by the time people can no longer buy a new ICE car, I will be contained in an ornate urn on one of my kids’ fireplace mantles. But, and I’ve said this many times, the options for purchase of new ICE will be very limited compared to offerings available today.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:26 PM   #1385
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
They could do a number of things with the money they pull back from EV investment. Buying the stock back is a completely different decision path. They are buying it back because it’s undervalued. Corporate finance 101. If I had $10k for every time I can personally remember GM buying back stock I’d buy a C8.
Hey dude, I’m just going by the report in that article. It says they’re buying the stock back with EV funds.

Glean from that what you will.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 11-30-2023, 09:47 PM   #1386
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Hey dude, I’m just going by the report in that article. It says they’re buying the stock back with EV funds.

Glean from that what you will.
It’s all good. I’m not trying to be contentious, but I’m working from a slide that was shown during the review where GM pointed out their break even timing for their EV investments. It pretty much illustrates that spending is delayed, not cut. If I can find it again I’ll post it up. Now, the pullback on Cruise autonomous vehicle unit is another story. That funding may or may not ever find its way back.

***EDIT*** That didn’t take long. Found it. I don’t know how the writer of the article got shifting of funds from EV to buy stock from a presentation where GM showed the intent to INCREASE volume of Ultium powered vehicles, INCREASE the capacity to manufacture batteries and achieve profitablilty by getting EV volume to scale. This chart pretty much says the exact opposite.
Attached Images