Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Diff swap! (Installing an LSD manual trans differential into an Auto trans car)

Well after several months of searching, I finally found myself a limited slip differential out of a manual transmission 2.0 car. Normally ~$1500-$1900 for just the diff and ~$400-600 for the axles at the dealership, I'm too cheap for that. I managed to score the differential w/ 12k miles on it and both axles for $595 shipped to my door.

Near as I can tell, GM make it easy for the 6th gen guys to do this swap. It requires less parts ($$) than the 5th gen v6 guys needed to swap out. As far as I can tell at this point based on diagrams and part numbers, the only things that are needed for certain is the differential, and the axles. I MAY (or may not) end up needing the manual transmission driveshaft, or maybe just the back half of it, but at this point, I won't be certain until I get the car ripped apart.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0L Turbo

Tell me, ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
tsanchez18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Well after several months of searching, I finally found myself a limited slip differential out of a manual transmission 2.0 car. Normally ~$1500-$1900 for just the diff and ~$400-600 for the axles at the dealership, I'm too cheap for that. I managed to score the differential w/ 12k miles on it and both axles for $595 shipped to my door.

Near as I can tell, GM make it easy for the 6th gen guys to do this swap. It requires less parts ($$) than the 5th gen v6 guys needed to swap out. As far as I can tell at this point based on diagrams and part numbers, the only things that are needed for certain is the differential, and the axles. I MAY (or may not) end up needing the manual transmission driveshaft, or maybe just the back half of it, but at this point, I won't be certain until I get the car ripped apart.
If you have a line on a cheap M6 driveshaft and axles I'm in the hunt... Need them for the driveshaft shop...
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
This is great! How did you get them? Wrecked car?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
If you have a line on a cheap M6 driveshaft and axles I'm in the hunt... Need them for the driveshaft shop...

Sorry, it's all going in my car lol I'll have some automatic stuff in the near future, but I don't think that will do you much good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate... View Post
This is great! How did you get them? Wrecked car?

Yes, a car that was hit in the front end. It took some work. I found that while it should be easy for them, with computer technology and what not, a lot of the wrecking yards I called don't know what they have... I ended up having to get vin numbers for a bunch of cars, then calling the dealer parts center to have them check each vin to tell me which engine and transmission the cars had. I spent probably 2-3 hours making phone calls and literally only found ONE manual transmission 2.0/3.6 car (they share the same differential) in everything I found listed online in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
Quote:
Sorry, it's all going in my car lol I'll have some automatic stuff in the near future, but I don't think that will do you much good.

Yes, a car that was hit in the front end. It took some work. I found that while it should be easy for them, with computer technology and what not, a lot of the wrecking yards I called don't know what they have... I ended up having to get vin numbers for a bunch of cars, then calling the dealer parts center to have them check each vin to tell me which engine and transmission the cars had. I spent probably 2-3 hours making phone calls and literally only found ONE manual transmission 2.0/3.6 car (they share the same differential) in everything I found listed online in the country.

Man! What a process. I'm not shocked though. Most of those places are less than optimally organized.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate... View Post
Man! What a process. I'm not shocked though. Most of those places are less than optimally organized.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Old 04-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Got tracking info, I wonder if they decided to give me some other random parts that may have been attached... The FedEx tracking page says the box weighs 142 lbs =:O

Hope it's packed well!

Old 04-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Got tracking info, I wonder if they decided to give me some other random parts that may have been attached... The FedEx tracking page says the box weighs 142 lbs =:O

Hope it's packed well!

Old 04-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
Jason@JacFab

Parts showed up!

Old 04-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #11
Corner carver

Quote:

Parts showed up!

Rear diff looks heavy...
So we have different diameter axles same as the V8, wonder why? Engineered fail point?
Old 04-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Rear diff looks heavy...
So we have different diameter axles same as the V8, wonder why? Engineered fail point?
The longer one is thinner, so their masses stay roughly the same. The idea is to reduce wheelhop. At least that's how it was explained on the CTS-V.
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #13
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
The longer one is thinner, so their masses stay roughly the same. The idea is to reduce wheelhop. At least that's how it was explained on the CTS-V.
Reduce wheel hop with just equalizing the weight?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #14
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post

Right. I seem to recall reading something that said if they were the same diameter once the wheel hop starts it will start it amplify itself, the different diameters will fight this.

The big axle feels like it's probably hollow.