Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #71
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 RY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfree135 View Post
I guess the real question is did all the people that tested the circuit for continuity do it correctly? Did they put the ground lead to the chassis (right way) while testing or did they put +&- to the two sockets of the fuse? Lol
Continuity is not voltage.

Continuity measures the wire or circuit resistance (measured in ohms) in between the two points in contact with the meter probes. Resistance effects amperage (or flow)
Low resistance = high flow, high resistance = low flow.

Voltage is a measure of the power (or pressure) from the positive polarity as measured on one side of the meter and in basic terms the negative side of polarity or ground on the other side of the meter...
You must have a good clean bare metal point of contact and it must be a common ground source... which on cars the entire chasis and engine is a common ground source.
beebumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #72
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
Some one with good writing capabilities needs to write to GM (whatever division to contact) with the question at hand...something along the lines of "How can your owners manual say.blah blah) if in fact the fuze conducts no power to re-set the ECM function for octane re-calibration..? just a thought.... who is the GM Rep..here on C5? let them research this or get name of GM contact for this info...settle this once and for all.
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #73
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
this topic is a
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #74
MrPace

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth Camaro View Post
If there is no power to those two fuses when the ignition is off, why would there be power to the other fuses?

My guess is this guy had the ignition in "run", like some people say it needs to be to check the fuses.

To do the fuse pull, the instructions are ignition "off".

I'm done here. This is feeling like someone has an agenda to me.
Anybody that wants to read the dozens of testimonials (as well as documented dyno results and Jannety commenting on early factory tunes being too "knock sensitive"), search out the sticky fuse pull thread.
No agenda here other than trying to get an answer to a simple question. I'm not selling anything. Owned a '94 Z28 for 15 years and just bought a 2013 SS less then a month ago...had the dealer put 87 in my tank...ran over a tank of 93 through it...pulled fuses for 3 hours...didn't notice any difference afterwards

By all accounts here, I should have noticed a huge difference...

Wouldn't you be asking these questions if it didn't "work" for you?
MrPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #75
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableman View Post
I just checked the fuses with the ignition off. NO POWER. Same for the one in the trunk.
Beginning to believe that the ECM monitiors and charges a capacitor inside the ECM when the power drain drops below a specific threshold.

A capacitor is much like a battery, it stores power and has a capacity much like a battery, as it uses power up you must recharge the capacitor, again much like a battery or the power is lost.

So the octane tables directly used and adjusted by the ECM to run the engine must be stored in volatile memory, meaning that the memory is lost when power is not maintained. All other functions would be stored in non-volatile memory, where the data is not lost after a power failure.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #76
MrPace

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebumble View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Is it possible the ECM monitors the voltage from a capacitor or at the memory chip and has a relay that intermittently charges the ECM capacitor to maintain the information in memory? Absolutely yes[/B], this is possible and would reduce battery drain and would explain why you must keep the fuses out for a long period of time. So this just may just be the answer.
See, now we're getting somewhere. This makes total sense to someone like me and seems completely logical. Which is what I was looking for with my questions...a logical explanation as to how this fuse pull might work...

And to those who think there is some agenda from people like me questioning things...yeah...I admit...there is an agenda....I'M A CURIOUS GUY....
MrPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #77
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
this topic is a
Party Pooper
Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #78
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth Camaro View Post
If there is no power to those two fuses when the ignition is off, why would there be power to the other fuses?

My guess is this guy had the ignition in "run", like some people say it needs to be to check the fuses.

To do the fuse pull, the instructions are ignition "off".

I'm done here. This is feeling like someone has an agenda to me.
Anybody that wants to read the dozens of testimonials (as well as documented dyno results and Jannety commenting on early factory tunes being too "knock sensitive"), search out the sticky fuse pull thread.
What agenda could anyone possibly have??

The key is off to check the voltage as that is the instructions given on the fuse pull... That is the whole point of the check.
Why would we check it with the key on... I would suspect the fuses power up with the key in the run position or with the engine running.

Personally I do not really care one way or the other, you can pull your fuse to your heart’s desire, or you can think it is BS and don't pull your fuse… that is entirely up to you and none of my business. So no "agenda", just an old troubleshooter who likes to know the answers and never follows the flock like sheeple blindly.

Understand that there is no disrespect intended... ever.

Last edited by beebumble; 09-23-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #79
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

If anyone out there has a simple data logger for voltage lets see some data, wire the fuses with solderless terminals and connect the logger to the fuse and ground. Collect data for 24 hours in 1 second intervals and lets see what happens.

If not I will buy one after several weeks when I can afford to blow about 80 bucks (or when the wife will let me, too many expenses right now)
http://www.dataq.com/products/hardwa...ta-logger.html
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #80
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
My goodness people, it will have no effect if you never had low octane gas put in your car or have never got a bad tank of gas. It is just 2 fuses to pull and leave out for 3 hours or over night and try. There is not reason to have strokes over it. And if you don't want to believe that is fine but it is not a reason to come storming in here and saying it does not work. It has been proven to many times to work.
Hey, you are from Alabama? Maybe explain how "Dousing" or divining rods help you find water to dig a well. Your technological leaps down there are astounding and add credence to this fuse pull fuss.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #81
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
Scott and many other 2010 car owners had this problem, GM sent technicians down to monitor his lack of power, Fbodfather was involved also, The answer for what ever the reason was to pull the fuses, if you did not have the problem nothing happened, if you had a L99 it worked if you were on the low octane table. Now explain why with the LS3 you disconnect the battery cable and touch to ground it? also when I had my Tune Tuner disconnected battery cable and grounded it to reset computer. The fuse pull works if you are a L99 on the low octane table, even GM had trouble figuring it out, so if you are late to the party you have learned something.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #82
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebumble View Post
Beginning to believe that the ECM monitiors and charges a capacitor inside the ECM when the power drain drops below a specific threshold.

A capacitor is much like a battery, it stores power and has a capacity much like a battery, as it uses power up you must recharge the capacitor, again much like a battery or the power is lost.

So the octane tables directly used and adjusted by the ECM to run the engine must be stored in volatile memory, meaning that the memory is lost when power is not maintained. All other functions would be stored in non-volatile memory, where the data is not lost after a power failure.
Now this sounds like a very real possibility, even to an electronics novice such as myself.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #83
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The capacitor theory makes some sense given the way the alternator cuts off periodically. Short term power storage could be designed in.

I keep reading these threads because some days the car feels faster. My current thinking:

- the single pump gets me up to 2 gallons of 87 before the 93 comes in. This can be a problem given the small tank. I have actually moved behind Porsches at gas stations and waited for them to fill up.
- the 12-13s adjust dynamically every 100 miles or after a fill up. Over on the GM truck site they also think a fill up from empty ("significant fueling event") is detected and triggers a reset of the ECU fuel map.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #84
Fourth Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1-5th Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPace View Post
See, now we're getting somewhere. This makes total sense to someone like me and seems completely logical. Which is what I was looking for with my questions...a logical explanation as to how this fuse pull might work...

And to those who think there is some agenda from people like me questioning things...yeah...I admit...there is an agenda....I'M A CURIOUS GUY....

Just curious, have you done anything to find out if you even have a problem with your car? 0-60 times?
I'm thoroughly impressed by the same comment regarding the sporadic voltage.
It made complete sense. I knew that either that, or some other logical explanation would come to light. Why? Because I KNOW the fuse pull works.

The issue bugs me, especially the lack of Chevy Customer Service response.
"Stupid" bugs me too. Like the guy that has been running 87 octane in his SS "for months", and then calls "BS" on dozens of testimonials to the fuse pull.
I feel bad for what PQ, Scott and all of us believe, is the many people who might not even know the early L99s are under performing.
Fourth Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote