The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #29
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I am not trying to stir crap up. I have always found it interesting that the media and government are constantly touting their environmental agenda and have somehow brain washed people into believing that global warming is occuring at an incredible rate and it is all due human beings.

In fact, I would venture to say that 95% or more of the population do not really know what the research on this matter has shown.

I am not trying to start an argument, just present the facts and real scientific evidence.

I am also not advocating that we go around and just start buring all of the fossil fuel we want becasue it has not been demonstraded to have any clear cut effect on our climate. I obviously realize the need to contril emissions and to decrease the amount of CO2 we are putting into our environment.
Either this is your hobby or you are a frigen meteorologist…

I will have to agree with Casull. Everything I have watched on Discovery and National Geographic channels has me believing Global Warming is being over hyped. On the other hand, I still think it is a good idea to get an early start on preventing it from actually happening… As a car enthusiast I like to burn the fossil fuels but I am not afraid to hug a tree…
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #30
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Either this is your hobby or you are a frigen meteorologist…

I will have to agree with Casull. Everything I have watched on Discovery and National Geographic channels has me believing Global Warming is being over hyped. On the other hand, I still think it is a good idea to get an early start on preventing it from actually happening… As a car enthusiast I like to burn the fossil fuels but I am not afraid to hug a tree…

I work on a lot of those shows on NGC and Discovery. I can tell you that the info on those programs is as accurate as possible. Whether it leans more toward global warming or not I don't care, they have a team of researchers that do their best to get the latest most accurate info.

Personally, I think everything goes in cycles and we haven't been accurately measuring natural atmospheric cycles long enough to know much at all.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #31
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Sorry guys,
I really didn't mean anything by it. It's just that I get kinda heated up in "discussions", and I hate being wrong, I mean vehemently hate it .

I guess I'm just afraid that if we humans sit back and say oh it's just natural cycle...we will seriously screw ourselves. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing on whether or not Global warming is causing any effects or not. Just worried that if it is, we humans are effectively damning ourselves by ignoring it or shrugging it off.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #32
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Sorry guys,
I really didn't mean anything by it. It's just that I get kinda heated up in "discussions", and I hate being wrong, I mean vehemently hate it .

I guess I'm just afraid that if we humans sit back and say oh it's just natural cycle...we will seriously screw ourselves. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing on whether or not Global warming is causing any effects or not. Just worried that if it is, we humans are effectively damning ourselves by ignoring it or shrugging it off.
I agree with you 100% on that. I mean, it would be very neglegent to take our lack of evidence as proof that CO2 levels are not driving global warming and just start putting all the CO2 we want into the atmosphere. CO2 levels have risen about 280 parts per million, where they had held constant for thousands of years until about the mid 1800's when we began to see them rise, to 360 parts per million today. We need to be proactive and reduce our emissions so that we do not end up with a global problem hundreds of years down the road that could have been prevented.

I think it is cool that Richard Branson has issued a challenge and is going to reward anyone who can devise a way to extract CO2 from the atmosphere. I think that we need to be careful how we react to this issue however as to not take it too far to the extreme as our ecosystem does rely on CO2 to sustain itself just as much as we rely on oxygen.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:49 AM   #33
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I agree with you 100% on that. I mean, it would be very neglegent to take our lack of evidence as proof that CO2 levels are not driving global warming and just start putting all the CO2 we want into the atmosphere. CO2 levels have risen about 280 parts per million, where they had held constant for thousands of years until about the mid 1800's when we began to see them rise, to 360 parts per million today. We need to be proactive and reduce our emissions so that we do not end up with a global problem hundreds of years down the road that could have been prevented.

I think it is cool that Richard Branson has issued a challenge and is going to reward anyone who can devise a way to extract CO2 from the atmosphere. I think that we need to be careful how we react to this issue however as to not take it too far to the extreme as our ecosystem does rely on CO2 to sustain itself just as much as we rely on oxygen.
He is a freakin meteorologist!

Nah...seriously, you do sound like you know what you're talking about. This is not my area of expertise and I only discuss what I hear. You make very valid and excellent points. I think a lot more needs to go into research on global warming. I'm not one of those people who say "It won't happen in my lifetime, so I don't give a crap. Let our great grandkids deal w/ it."

Here's another situation for ya. You ever been to Los Angeles and seen the smog?...oh wait, they call it "fog" or "mist" that rolls in from the coast...:p Better yet, has anyone been to Mexico City and seen the smog there? Holy crap do those cities have nasty skies.

Should I metion the ozone, or would I be opening a can of worms...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #34
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
He is a freakin meteorologist!

Nah...seriously, you do sound like you know what you're talking about. This is not my area of expertise and I only discuss what I hear. You make very valid and excellent points. I think a lot more needs to go into research on global warming. I'm not one of those people who say "It won't happen in my lifetime, so I don't give a crap. Let our great grandkids deal w/ it."

Here's another situation for ya. You ever been to Los Angeles and seen the smog?...oh wait, they call it "fog" or "mist" that rolls in from the coast...:p Better yet, has anyone been to Mexico City and seen the smog there? Holy crap do those cities have nasty skies.

Should I metion the ozone, or would I be opening a can of worms...

That goes back to my point about the massive differences in urban vs rural areas. There is no doubt that LA has a huge problem with smog primarily due to its location inside a valley and the western winds that prevent the smog from dispursing out to sea (I am not too familiar with Mexico, sorry). However, "smog" is more than just CO2. The majority of the smog you can actually see is made up of various particles from the burning of fuels and are fairly harmless to our environment. These particles also typically come out of the atmosphere when it rains.

Anyway, "They say the fu***** smog is the fu****** reason you have such beautiful fu***** sunsets" -- For those familiar with the movie Get Shorty. I love that movie.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #35
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705

The smog in LA is not very pretty. I'd go nuts living in a city like that where you couldn't see further than 4 miles due to man made crap in the air. Yeah, it's sick. When a good wind blows in from the coast and knocks out some of that smog, it's actually very pretty. I can't tell you how much I wish I could see what the world and it's environment looked like back in the 1700-1800's before all this crap in the air.

Mexico city is a whole different ball game. The sky has a yellow film over it. We had to stop there otw to Manzanillo. It was freakin sick. As you fly in, you can see some buildings sticking out of the top of the yellow crap. When you are on the ground, it's like three times as bad as LA. You can't see a mile in front of you due to the crap. Maybe I was there on a bad day....who knows. I would NEVER in my life want to live there or even visit in that city. Oh, and another funny thing....when we landed, people started lighting up their cig's on the plane. I was like....uh.... everyone was smoking in the airport. We got on our next plane and everyone was smoking in that plane. I was just sitting there thinking how much this sux.

This picture shows a hell of a lot cleaner sky than how I remember it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #36
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Mexico city is a whole different ball game. The sky has a yellow film over it. We had to stop there otw to Manzanillo. It was freakin sick. As you fly in, you can see some buildings sticking out of the top of the yellow crap. When you are on the ground, it's like three times as bad as LA. You can't see a mile in front of you due to the crap. Maybe I was there on a bad day....who knows. I would NEVER in my life want to live there or even visit in that city. Oh, and another funny thing....when we landed, people started lighting up their cig's on the plane. I was like....uh.... everyone was smoking in the airport. We got on our next plane and everyone was smoking in that plane. I was just sitting there thinking how much this sux.
That is just plain gross... Kind of makes you want to wear a HAZ-MAT mask if you have to travel there!

As for the cigars on the plane... that is unbelievable! I can't believe some people!

I am a very strong proponent of the no smoking in public places policies. Unfortunately they have not made it to Indiana yet. That is one thing I really enjoyed about LA, you can go into any bar and not have to worry about waking un the next morning hacking up black stuff from the night before!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham

take a look at this site, I would just like to know what everybody thinks here, I' got kind of excited when I first read it especially when it put down the "takes more energy to produce than it yields" rumor.

http://www.e85.us/
Old 02-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #38
Casull

Quote:
take a look at this site, I would just like to know what everybody thinks here, I'm not sure what to make of it. It just doesn't seem like much of an improvement from gasoline...

http://www.e85.us/
e85 is great.... as is bio-deisel. It is really a win-win situation. We get to ween ourselves off of foreign oil and stop supporting terrorism. We will create more job in the US by building ethanol/bio-deisel plants, and we will help support our farmers. It will help to reduce CO2 emissions. Plus, at least with Bio-deisel, it actually cleans your engine, thus helping to extend the life of your engine.

Both fuels are great alternatives and I would venture to say they are most likely our most viable option for the near future.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham

That's what I thought, but how "clean is it" do you know, I mean they call it a clean fuel, but I would hardly call down 20% or so of any significance...

I like it because of the power it provides along with the throaty roar still coming from the exaust
Old 02-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #40
Casull

Quote:
That's what I thought, but how "clean is it" do you know, I mean they call it a clean fuel, but I would hardly call down 20% or so of any significance...

I like it because of the power it provides along with the throaty roar still coming from the exaust
If by "clean" you mean CO2 emissions, then it is really tough to say.

I will admit that I am far less knowledgable about ethanol than I am Biodiesel, but...

A great deal of people will tell you that it will reduce CO2 emissions by anywhere from 60 - 75%. However it is all subject to how you intrepret it. The majority of the hydrocarbons that are in ethanol and biodesiel were created from the CO2 already in the air through the process of photosynthesis. Therefore, it is argued that only a small amount of "new" co2 is released into the air when these fuels are burned as opposed to the co2 that is released from current gasoline or desiel that is made from carbon that has been stored as petroleum.

As I said, I am not nearly as up to date on the current research surrounding alternative fuels, so I do not know if it is really known how much "new" co2 these fuels add to the air and how much is just pure speculation.