The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 08-27-2016, 04:11 AM   #1
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
newbie question z51 launch control

I have z51 1lt without magride, Do i have launch control? i know double click the center button twice and shut off traction but I don't quite understand how it works from there?

I also want to know when is it a good time to learn to drive on the track without traction control? i was best out of 40 in my group and the guy with the zo6 in another class said to start driving without it ? Im def getting better as a driver esp track but haven't played with launch control or TC off what are the pluses and minuses to it?
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:12 AM   #2
formoutofchaos

also is there a way to time o to 60? If i don't have performance data recorder?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
STINGmole

Drives: 2016 Arctic White Stingray
You put the car in track mode, then two slow clicks of the center button to get into 'Competition Mode'. While in Competition Mode you can drive on the track w/ limited traction control without it being completely off. You can also use launch control; I believe you push the clutch pedal to the floor, push the throttle to the floor (and it will rev to a pre-set RPM, then dump the clutch and shift to 2nd as normal.

I was pretty disappointed with Spring Mountain (they showed us launch control but didn't let us actually try it). The Automatic was impressive...launch control on the manual, not so much.

I wouldn't recommend shutting traction control completely...I don't find it that limiting in performance mode. Disable at your own risk! I've also read complaints about being able to spin out when using Competition Mode...so again, use at your own risk!

You can time zero to sixty by pushing left on the steering wheel directional arrow, selecting performance, then scrolling up/down until you find the timer in the middle of your dash display.

Last edited by STINGmole; 08-27-2016 at 06:07 PM.
STINGmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGmole View Post

You can time zero to sixty by pushing left on the steering wheel directional arrow, selecting performance, then scrolling up/down until you find the timer in the middle of your dash display.
FYI - If the timer is not available, make an appointment with your dealer. It is not available on all vehicles for some reason but there is now a Tech Service Bulletin that adds it back to the gauges. Takes about 30 min. I got my '16 Z06 in July of 2015 and they just now notified me. Had the TSB installed 2 weeks ago. It's pretty slick.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:42 AM   #5
formoutofchaos

would you use launch control , if you were at the dragstrip? I also need to learn how to smoke my tires to pre warm up !
Old 09-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
h422694

Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
would you use launch control , if you were at the dragstrip? I also need to learn how to smoke my tires to pre warm up !
launch Control is for use at the drag strip.
Shut off traction control via 2 clicks on the button. Smoke the tires.
Then enable launch like STINGmole indicated: Push the clutch pedal to the floor, push the throttle to the floor (and it will rev to a pre-set RPM, then dump the clutch and shift to 2nd as normal.

Launch control is ONLY active in 1st gear. Once you shift, you are on your own. There's been many C7s wrecked right after the shift to 2nd because of uncontrolled (by driver) traction issues.

Timer: If you have not found the timer or gotten it installed by the dealer, the following ling contains information on the service update.

FYI - When I was at Spring Mountain launch control with both M7 & A8 were impressive with M7 actually spinning tires less than auto. Could have just been the difference in drivers, tires, etc.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
h422694

Link for Timer Service Update -
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...sing-1262.html