Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Which Catch Can?

I would like to hear from LT4 owners (not resellers) about which catch cans they are running and have had success with. I would also like to hear about which to stay away from.

I've read through the forum posts and have done my research, I've decided to get a catch can, I know the risks. Please let's not turn this into a debate.

Thanks in advance for not flaming.

EDIT: Suggestions so far:

Mighty Mouse
Elite E2-X

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500

Last edited by angryBits; 06-08-2019 at 08:16 PM.
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
shootamc58

Drives: 2018 zl1 1le
I run mighty mouse on my fully built motor and it does fantastic.
shootamc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I bought a MM for my LT1, never installed it. Haven't considered installing it on my LT4. If they are the same, you can have it for cheap.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
A catch can does something very simple: solidifies the 'blowback' vapour than in the case of the LT4, ends up as oil on the top of the supercharger and EVENTUALLY potentially coating the back of the valves with deposits.
I speak from experience from my E92 BMW 335I - a forged 3 litre twin turbo GDI Engine which I bought at 90K miles. I had it Walnut blasted and it made a noticeable difference.
However, my last 'Charged car was a Holden HSV R8, similar to the Pontiac G8 but with a Supercharged LS2. I did run water/meth injection, however I also had a catch can.
First, how is the catch can baffled?
What benefit will just an in and out have without some way of collecting the vapour and turning it to liquid?
How often do you want to be draining the canister?
How easy is it o drain the canister?
What's the install an inlet/outlet piping install like?

These are the questions to help you decide
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I bought a MM for my LT1, never installed it. Haven't considered installing it on my LT4. If they are the same, you can have it for cheap.
If they are the same, why haven't you fitted it?
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Elite E2-X. Excellent quality and a closed system. I had carbon intake valve carbon buildup at 11k miles therefore see the value.

BTW - my local dealer recommended I install a catch can..... FWIW
Attached Images

Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
Elite E2-X. Excellent quality and a closed system. I had carbon intake valve carbon buildup at 11k miles therefore see the value.

BTW - my local dealer recommended I install a catch can..... FWIW
It's nice having a good dealer

Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
Old 06-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #8
angryBits

I'd really like to have a window to see the oil level. Any good options with a window?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #9
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
MM's catch can has a window on the side.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:47 AM   #10
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
I'd really like to have a window to see the oil level. Any good options with a window?

Thanks
EE-2X. Quality is excellent. Compliments factory system. You don’t need a window. Just empty every oil change...or every 1000 miles....or randomly from time to time. You will see how much was in there when it comes out.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #11
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootamc58 View Post
I run mighty mouse on my fully built motor and it does fantastic.
Love MM
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #12
angryBits

**WARNING** I do not claim any of the following to be true, it's just the data as I have found it.

Having done some reading on MM & Elite EX-2...

Elite EX-2 claims to filter out 2x more oil than the MM. I have not seen this proven anywhere.

Elite EX-2 is a 100% closed system which is closer to EPA regulations but here in CA it doesn't matter both will fail a visual inspection, so no advantage here. Technically the stock system is 100% closed so that could be an advantage to some if you want to stay that way.

Elite EX-2 seems like it's fairly permanent installation and cannot be uninstalled unless I want to buy a new intake elbow. (Install requires drilling a hole?).

Elite EX-2 appears slightly less obvious to the naked eye that the car has been modded. Useful if I'm planning on leaving it installed during regular service appointments. Though this is probably not much of an advantage since both are probably the first thing a dealership would look for.

MM owners have claimed their MM filters more oil than Elite EX-2.

MM is mostly a closed system, venting only happens rarely when pressures are too high.

MM Installation seems easier with less hoses?

MM Uninstall seems easier, no permanent changes / holes drilled?

MM Calls attention to itself with the top filter (used for venting).

MM Has a small window for quick oil checks.

My personal interpretation of these pros/cons after weighing them both together.

Neutral - Neither has been proven to filter better than the other. I really think Elite Engineering should provide real data otherwise I will trust the word of forum members that have tried both over a manufacturer. No offense to Elite, just stating the value of having proof.

MM - 100% closed or "mostly closed" makes no difference to me but I have seen videos posted by MM that show the ventilation advantage.

MM - Easier to install and uninstall. Useful for those that plan to uninstall prior to warranty claims. I plan to leave mine on and trust the dealer & GM (I know this is a risk but I'm an honest person).

Elite - Less visually obvious. A small win but has some value to me. While I'm honest, I also won't be announcing the catch can, if they don't see it that's fine with me.

MM - Small oil level inspection window.

I think MM is my choice unless anyone has any other compelling information.

Something I didn't list:
Elite has dual vacuum which sounds like it should do a better job at pulling the oil out at any given time. However I think this point doesn't matter when we consider which one does a better job at filtering the oil and I decided above that was "Neutral".

I would love to hear personal claims from anyone that has tried both.

I would change my mind in a heartbeat if there was proof that one filtered out more than the other. Given how invaluable that proof would be and the fact that there is none, I'm guessing it's likely these two systems do a similar job in filtering out the oil.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #13
Deuce22

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 / Black / Manual
I have the E2x from Elite. It looks good, works good, and is easy to maintain /drain. I would recommend it.
Deuce22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #14
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I have the Elite catch can on my car. Just installed it a couple of weeks ago. I've only put about 200 miles on the car since the install so i'm not sure that I will see much oil when I drain it this week during my oil change.

I don't think you should worry about the catch can having a window to be able to see the amount of oil in it. Just open the drain valve and drain whatever is in it.

as far as the install of the Elite unit, It's not hard at all man. you can always drill the hole on the intake elbow in an area where it wont be visible to the naked eye (underneath where it wont be seen when the hood is opened).

I did the install myself in my driveway, took me 2 days because I took my time and I had to wait for new supercharger cover and supercharger to engine bolts. It's not hard at all, routing the hoses is really easy.

I would recommend the Elite.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote