Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 08-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
Cjw

Drives: 370z, Srt-6
Possible 1Le, autocross questions, thoughts, price...

Good afternoon, I'm currently I'm the market for a new company autocross/little bit of track car. Looking at a 2013 z6/ 2017 grand sport/ and your guys 1Le. Wanted to get some thoughts per the 1le here before going to test drive. Mainly an autocross and weekend car for my father and I, probably be the last car I buy before he stops running so I want to get something fun
1. Brakes, cooling.. how does the car take the heat of 2 drivers in autocross? I know it has extra cooling but it is effective? We co drive an in Alabama it gets hot, and don't get much cool down in between runs.. is brake fade an issue
2. Classing, I run a BS 370z which were very competitive in without issue, how does the 1le hold up in AS. Also anyone run Cam with good results? Pax difference is almost none but other than wheels, intake, exhaust maybe slotted rotors it just doesn't seem like much is out or needs done for these cars to run cam and really be faster
3. Honestly. Are the back seats useful?
4. I thought I saw someone running nt01 maybe 315 or 325 square maybe black or grey 1le. but I can not seem to find the thread again, anyone know who it is or have the thread?
5. With track set up, anyone running 305+ square would you be willing to measure the full width front/rear for me, I trailer my cars but may need a wider trailer, my 305 on the z is close and I'd imagine these cars are a little wider.
6. I'd plan to get c5 z06 wheels for drag set up, I see a lot of guys running 305/35, anyone know if a 305/40 would fit?
Last, I really like the idea of buying a new car with a warranty over the older z06, and have seen most people paying about 40/41 for theirs, it this about right? Similar going rate for these new? Haven't been able to find one local so I may have to travel and pick one up

Thank you to anyone willing to help out, look forward to having a new car to run and maybe meeting a few local guys
Cjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Bang for the buck, it would be hard to do better than a 1LE.

I assume you are talking about local AutoX events and not Nationals?

1. You will never fade the brakes on this car with AutoX. I often have a co-driver in the Summer in Central Florida with no issues.
  2. Depends on your local region and how good you are. I can beat the C5Z/RE71, the C6Z is a tougher get. I have no problems with the GT350 or the AS 911s. My toughest competition is the ZL1. Same car with 200+ HP. Our margins are in 10th of seconds.
  3. I occasionally have one of my daughters friends ride in the back. Surprisingly, when you fold the seat flat, I can get in our 12x12 pop-up, two seats, track box, helmets, etc with no issues.
  4. I would stick with the stock wheel/tire setup for track until you are sure you are as fast as you can go with them. This car is SHOCKINGLY capable on track in completely stock form.
  5. See 4 above
  6. Don't know anyone who has tried it, but the 35 height is pretty close to the top of the well. I can't imagine the 40 would fit without mod.
Good luck with your search. I paid more than people are paying now, but I received mine in November. I was in the 1st build week.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:43 AM   #3
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
I've owned many vettes and loved them all. I'd take a 1LE over a C6 all day long, and even over a non Z51 stingray, but if the C7 GS is an option I'd be doing that.

Good news, you have all excellent options! I consider the SS 1LE to be a C7 Z51 with a Camaro body on it.

Hope that helps a little!

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I echo the 2 posts above: the car is amazing full stock. To me it is a blend of C7 Z51/GS with 2 extra seats. But the motor is a bit more stout (they dyno higher vs C7 LT1), the tires are better and so are the seats (by a long shot). The penalty is extra weight, but even so the car handles beautifully. At half price (or so) of a GS
it is a no brainer package.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
Cjw

Drives: 370z, Srt-6
Thanks for the info guys, not to disagree but I've always had a second set of wheels for track/autocross just so I don't put daily miles on them, keep them fresh for the track to get torn up there. Plus 19's being a little cheaper and having more options helps.
Anybody local to Montgomery Alabama want to let me come see yours, sit in and talk about?

Thanks again
Cjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjw View Post
Thanks for the info guys, not to disagree but I've always had a second set of wheels for track/autocross just so I don't put daily miles on them, keep them fresh for the track to get torn up there. Plus 19's being a little cheaper and having more options helps.
Anybody local to Montgomery Alabama want to let me come see yours, sit in and talk about?

Thanks again
Agree on the track set in principle if you trailer your car, or tires. FYI stock rubber is very capable and close to NT01 in performance so don't expect to get tons and tons of DD out of them. Also FYI while 19s do offer more tire choice some good choices are available for stock rims: stockers (great value and great performance IMO), RE71R 295 square, CUP2 295 square or stock staggered, Trofeo R and a few others. Bottom line it may depend just how frequently you DD the car.
If you do go with 19 rims check out all the threads as choices seem limited with right offsets and some folks have bend some cheap ones. So do your r+d . All the best!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote