The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 12-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
I have to chime in here now that we are all Kum by yawing I got bitten by the vette bug in 08, Crystal Red coupe, 3Lt, black as the soul of the dealer that was sent to jail for not paying off my Lexus that i had traded in...but that is another story. Bought it in the midst of the Crash...wife called me at the dealer when all hell was breaking loose.."honey turn on the TV.. the market is bottoming out...DO NOT BY THE CAR"...The first lie this car ever made me say to her was at that time..."honey too late... i signed for it" this car (vette) makes you do things like the ring in the hobbit...precious. I fell in love that day and was instantly indoctrinated in the Corvette culture for to own one of these works of art and not understand the history is like eating a hotdog and throwing away the bun.. we wave at each other where other cars do what ever they can to ignore themselves... it is a brotherhood tat only those that have owned one truely understands! That took me to a 2011 Inferno Orange Grand Sport that I systematically all but dipped it in Carbon fiber engine to the skirts. As much as i loved that car.. and when i say loved it I mean who gets up from the couch to go out to the garage just to take a look at a car? who spends over an hour each night wiping a car down...someone with as much passion as the car exudes and brother I could not go to get groceries with out half a dozen comments on that car. Long story short after 2+ years of dodging things in the road (these were daily drivers) having to get a curb alert to preserve 700+ dollars of carbon fiber splitter and 40K miles I wanted to start back on my Car bucket list, always wanted a Porsche, always wanted a BMW M series as amazing as those cars are I will not spend 50K+ and still be sitting on "Pleather" those cars are ridiculously expensive comparatively speaking. I narrowed it down to an Audi A5 and the new Caddie ATS that has been blowing them all away. The Audi was nice but could not stomach the 240HP after having 450+ under my foot, the ATS won my heart and it let me stay with GM who has treated me very well, 4 years free maint, who would have thought that I would own a caddie.For those of you not familiar with the ATS it is 2013 Car of the year, won numerous challenges in the mags and on a number of occasions dethroned the 3 series as the preferred sport luxury coupe, first time in 15 years. That say's something about what the ATS is built out of. more tech gadgets than a G-10 jet, my itch was scratched across the board. It started with a terrible paint job on my "Raven Black" with carmel interior, Performance level car, 2 hoods and 3 trunks later still having issues then a swarm of mechanical stuff, active headlights that would not consistently line up (one up one down), mirrors that tilt and not return, tons of issues with the CUE system, worst air conditioning on a car since my 70 VW!! the goal for me was to get into a More sensible car, one that had an amazing performance level but one that could sail over crap in the road and not have to do a 2G swerve to avoid it, sensible milage, sensible payment. I saw what was coming with the C7, oh yeah, and I did my best to rationalize how "I had my taste of the toy's and checked it off the list" after all I was in a different category now, gone are the comments from the wife " I do not know how much longer I can get in and out of this car honey", I made my decision the day I traded in the 11 GS right? I did my best to ignore all of the hype..the count down.. the reveal all of the f'ing ads in all of my mags, I even prepared my comments for when the day came and I would find myself next to a C7... then I saw it...there was an unmistakable profile 3 maybe 4 cars up, driving with my wife I made the comment.. uh looks like there might be a C7 up ahead, what I know now was that was outright "bait", I did all I could to keep from gunning it to catch up but as it turned out I ended up behind it at a light. We were speechless yet we both were thinking the same thing there is no doubt. I did my best to look away I promise, I just could not stop looking as I watched it turn the corner...that car is me I muttered it is every bit of my soul, it is all of the things that I have ever done wrong covered in all of the things that I have done right in my life, it was unmistakable in it's look but at the same time a brand new presence as if to say.. I am back and look at me now.. like the girl at high school that everyone made fun of and now it is the reunion. I did not know how, but I knew that I had been lying to myself all along and I will admit that I started to get teary eyed over my decision to change... I knew that all of the passion that I ever had for every car I have ever owned, found itself in that C7, that day. At dinner over a few beers (knowing that the wife is more "open" in that frame of mind) I brought up the fact that we had finally seen it and before I could finish this beautiful God's gift of a woman said..how much do you think we would have to throw down..." hook set. My experience with the ATS was at the point that I approached them with ether them buying it back or let the lawyers work it out, they acquiesced and asked me to pick out a 2014 ATS, the wheels were spinning, "since this is GM, is there anyway I can just go back to Chevy?" they finally said that I could but good luck finding a dealer that will work with you since a "buy back" has little or no profit. Some how divine intervention happened and I was put in touch with the Inventory manager at Stingray, where I purchased my 2011, he had (2) in production, I chose the CG, 2LT, Kalahari, NPP ect... Though they are still haggling over what the cost will be to GM, both seem to think it will work out (please pray ). So let me tell those of you that are kidding themselves into thinking that this is just another way to get where you are going... this car embodies you my friends.. it is every bit as much as "i told you so, wrapped in look at me" in a bucket of pure passion. There was not a day that went by when I owned the 2011 that i did not thank my God, my wife, just for the opportunity to have owned a piece of America because when you get right down to it the price that you are paying is negligible compared to what others spend for something that is part of the heritage of some other country on loan to you.
Enjoy these pieces of freedom my friends they truly are a lot more than just "cars" they are who we are, they are who we want to be and they are once in a lifetime opportunity to enjoy your life in a very exclusive way. sorry for the rant
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #16
BCQ

Drives: White C7 Z51 (hopefully soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown450 View Post
sorry for the rant
Don't be. It was a good one!
BCQ is offline   Reply With Quote