The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detail, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
StingJay

Drives: 2007 Infiniti G35 S Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnall40 View Post
Another paint protection product is Xzylon. Has been on my Odyssey for two years and finish looks show room new. Paid an arm and a leg to the Honda dealer for the application ($850) and later found that most of the cost is for insurance. Honda dealer recently did my C7 for $100 - no insurance. Very pleased with that!
Nice...i'll have to check into that also, thanks.
Do any of you have any thoughts about Llumar paint protection film versus the Xpel film?
StingJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
Silversled

Drives: 2016 ZL1 1LE
The popular films around my area (Tampa, FL) appears to be 3M, SunTek, and to a lesser degree Xpel. My preferred shop who deals with many exotics uses SunTek and swears by it claiming better clarity.

They quoted $699 for my C7. I believe it is 1/2 frontal coverage.

Just for the heck of it and because I'm just the curious type, I decided to try a DIY installation and bought the patterns from InvisibleMask who carries 3M VentureShield. If I don't totally screw it up, it'll cost me $300 to cover the Vette.

Fingers crossed!
Silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
bnall40

Drives: Z51 3LT, 2009 Pilot, 2012 Ody Tours
StingJay: I am not familiar with Llumar .... Sorry
bnall40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #32
Turftigr
Turftigr

Drives: 2018 Z06 Convertible
Has anyone had Xpel Ultimate installed on a dark C7. I had the entire hood, front fenders, front bumper, door handle pockets, behind rear wheels, as well as mirror fronts, headlights and spoiler on my NRB vert. My concern is a certain amount of dust particles under the film. The installer said you will always have some but I am a little concerned. I was just wondering what others have seen. It's not terrible but it still bothers me. I realize that if I have him redo the hood it may be worse. Thanks John
Turftigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #33
thrilled

Drives: 1LT
I just has XPEL installed.The technician did an excellent job.10 year guarantee.It didn't take
Away from the shine.
thrilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #34
charlie dog

Drives: Buick Enclave
I also plan to have XPEL installed immediately following delivery as a bra and on the panels behind each wheel. After XPEL, I'm having CQuartz applied.
charlie dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #35
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turftigr View Post
Has anyone had Xpel Ultimate installed on a dark C7. I had the entire hood, front fenders, front bumper, door handle pockets, behind rear wheels, as well as mirror fronts, headlights and spoiler on my NRB vert. My concern is a certain amount of dust particles under the film. The installer said you will always have some but I am a little concerned. I was just wondering what others have seen. It's not terrible but it still bothers me. I realize that if I have him redo the hood it may be worse. Thanks John
We have never seen a 'perfect' clear bra install. It is there to protect the paint. Get up close enough and you will see 'something' dust, lint fiber, adhesive disturbances, etc. Stand 8-10 feet back and all you should see is a clean chip free car. Five years later it will still look that way. Without the material, well no, chip city...

When to get it done? The sooner the better. Will pay for itself over the long haul.

3M has a new Pro Series Scotchgard material - that is the one to go with. very clear and backed by a 7 year national warranty, and is self healing. minor scratches to the polymer top coat flatten out with the heat of sitting in the sun or the application of hot water.

find a certified installer on 3M's site here
Where to Buy 3M
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote