Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
45THanniversarySS
Builder of fast cars

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniverary Edition
Rim paint chipping?

hey everyone I have a 2012 camaro 45th anniversary and i just noticed that the silver painted rims are starting to flake...it looks aweful and idk why this just started...it did just start snowing here before i noticed the chipping...come someone jump in and let me know if this has happened to them before...also this isnt on the corners of the rims like it would be curb rash, its farther in on the smooth portion...im kinda worried to wash the current break dust off of them because i think its gonna pull alot more paint off...and what is the warrenty time on a brand new car for these areas (rim and paint problems) thanks everyone, and sorry i didnt have a photo to post.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Pics would help.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
45THanniversarySS
Builder of fast cars

ill try to get one uploaded, rim is pretty dirty from snow and rain lately :(
Old 01-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
45THanniversarySS
Builder of fast cars

Old 01-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
45THanniversarySS
Builder of fast cars

like i said paint is just flaking off...rims are still dirty because im kinda scared to clean them off and pull a load more of paint off
Old 01-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
45THanniversarySS
Builder of fast cars

Bump
Old 01-08-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
I have a 2010 SS with the Midnight Silver painted wheels. The right front wheel has large paint flaking on the side of the spokes. The other 3 wheels are fine, except for a few rock chips.

Since it is only flaking on one wheel, I would suspect that it is a defective paint job from the factory. The large flakes are down to bare metal that is brown and almost rust color. This makes me think it is a surface preparation issue.

My SS is 5 years old in December and this happened about 6 months ago. One day it was fine and the next day it wasn't.

If you are still under the bumper to bumper warranty, then I would take it to the dealer and claim it is a factory defect.

If that doesn't work, then you now have the perfect excuse to get new aftermarket wheels.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
45THanniversarySS
Builder of fast cars

no no duke these are the 45th anniversary rims...only change i want to do i maybe powder coat them black and red to match the paint job...im trying to stay with the 45th theme just make it fully custom to my liking
Old 06-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
Lmadsen

Drives: 2012 ss/rs 1ss
2012 RS/SS wheel coating issue

I have issues with mine as well, I purchased the car in 13, although it is a 12. The wheel coating is chipping on the leading edge of all the wheels. I did take it to the dealer this week and the service manager said he would "talk to someone at GM' about it. Meaning he probably cares less about my problem and Ill have to solve it myself.
Attached Images

Lmadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
jsc52ss

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I have the exact same thing going on, I bought it this year, the car is a 2011. I don't think it's covered under warranty (because mine is expired I believe) but when searching through the forums it looks like people were able to get this touched up under warranty.

In fact, I think the previous owner of mine had gotten little spots touched up because I see portions of the wheel where it looks like it got painted over and it doesn't quite match.

This could be caused by a number of things. People on here have stated that it could've been brake fluid leaking onto the wheel but I'm thinking that it's probably a rockchip which, once flaked, started chipping away with normal usage....

Might be time to take them off and paint them yourself if you're artistically inclined
jsc52ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
Lmadsen

Drives: 2012 ss/rs 1ss
2012 RS/SS wheel coating issue (update)

I took this problem to my local dealer, and they covered it under warrantee, it ended up costing them around 1000 dollars to get fixed, not to mention the cost of me having a rental car for the 10 days the body shop had my vehicle. Although they did not match the color of the wheel exactly they did a very nice job on them, as well as painted the inside of the wheel gloss black. I'm happy with the job overall as well as very pleased to have been treated well by the dealer.
Lmadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #12
Maverick1776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
I have a set of black gloss, 45th anniversary rims with a similar issue. But I got my set from craigslist years ago. Soon, I will be taking them to get sand blasted, and powder coated in gloss black. I've seen really good reviews with how long powder coating holds up against spray painting them.
Maverick1776 is offline   Reply With Quote