Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #29
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
I personally went with SLP long tubes because thats what my dealership made me go with for warranty reasons and I dont have a single complaint. Those along with LMII exhaust sound pretty Bad Ass.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
I'm all in favor of a LT header shoot out!! It will put a lot let of the hype behind marketing to rest! Need 1 car, and only change will be the change in header brands, then dyno after each brand!
I do agree that most all the 1 7/8 out there are within around 5hp of each other. But I bet there are probably some surprises as to how much difference their AIN'T between the average priced header brand and the higher priced ones. Most guys wanna know EXACTLY shat their getting for their dollar. I personally would pay more for 5 more hp! But not just Bc a rep for that company said that theirs were the best!
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I think a shootout would have to be done on a engine dyno to be a fair test. Chassis dyno would take too long and would be hard to compare when your talking about less than 5rwhp. Engine dyno wouldnt take very long at all between brands and the testing parameters can be controlled. You could get a very accurate dyno # comparison at all rpm ranges with a engine dyno.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #32
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
A dyno shoot out for 1 7/8 LT headers with Closed Exhaust will even up the numbers to the point of almost no difference between brands.

A longevity test would be much different.

A quality Test would be much different.

Open the headers and that is totally another Story, ARH, and LG will come out on top.

When it comes to LT headers for STREET Driven Cars Dynatech Gets the win!

Dynatech is the only header set to offer 4 bolt flanges with OEM style donut gaskets at the Cat Connection for a Perfect Leak Free Seal near the Front O2s, The only header set complete with OEM Stainless Multilayer exhaust gaskets, and new bolts, and O2 extensions, and the Only Header Pressure tested under water for Leaks before they go in the box.

If you want Cheap you will Get Cheap.

Sorry guys No Free Lunch.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #33
camaro actual

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I want the ferrari of headers (I.E. LG etc.) but cant put that kind of money down for them but dont want the bucket end either. so trying to find the middle gound best as possible... TSP W/ hiflo cats seems to be the answer unless anybody would have a contendor for that money (or close) dont want to break 1k on headers w/ hiflo.
not trying to jack the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
A dyno shoot out for 1 7/8 LT headers with Closed Exhaust will even up the numbers to the point of almost no difference between brands.

A longevity test would be much different.

A quality Test would be much different.

Open the headers and that is totally another Story, ARH, and LG will come out on top.

When it comes to LT headers for STREET Driven Cars Dynatech Gets the win!

Dynatech is the only header set to offer 4 bolt flanges with OEM style donut gaskets at the Cat Connection for a Perfect Leak Free Seal near the Front O2s, The only header set complete with OEM Stainless Multilayer exhaust gaskets, and new bolts, and O2 extensions, and the Only Header Pressure tested under water for Leaks before they go in the box.

If you want Cheap you will Get Cheap.

Sorry guys No Free Lunch.

Ted.
camaro actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #34
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Don't forget the JBA Long Tubes! I have used JBA products in the past and never had problems. The 1 7/8" Stainless & Ceramic Long Tubes for my 2010 were excellent also.

- 1 7/8" ss with 3/8" flanges.
- V-Band Clamp Connection = I think this is the best option
- Percy's Dead Soft aluminum gaskets
- New Bolts
- o2 extensions included
- I was told EVERY header is also pressure tested before boxing.

Here is a cool article for you guys!
http://www.camaroperformers.com/proj...s-project-car/

Last edited by 2010 4 DW; 12-03-2012 at 06:06 PM.
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
BobB

Drives: Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport
In making your choice for headers I would ask you to read this info below. It might help you decide. Our headers are ALL AMERICAN MADE !
The 3 major manufacturers could have chosen ANY header but they all chose American Racing Headers.

Bob

In 2008 Ford Racing gave us a reason to scream in delight by building and offering to the public 50 turnkey factory drag cars using the legendary Cobra Jet moniker. Based on the S197 body style and powered by a 5.4L supercharged engine, the NHRA Stock/Super Stock scene would never be the same. Soon after, Dodge followed Fords lead and brought a formidable contender to the party in the form of the new Dodge V10 Drag Pack Challenger. The new Challenger wasted no time setting the AA/Stock ET record. Both cars are battling for supremacy at NHRA national and divisional races nationwide. For 2012 GM is making it clear that they will not be left out and intends to steal the thunder of both their competitors with the new COPO Camaro. Armed with supercharged 327’s or naturally aspirated 427 engines, GM Performances’ arsenal is aimed at taking control and ruling the Stock/Super Stock scene. What do these amazing turnkey Hot Rods have in common? They all exhale through American Racing Headers. We call it “The Trifecta” , an accomplishment we’re quite proud of. It takes a tremendous effort to develop parts that meet the expectations of The Big Three, especially when their plans are to stomp whomever is in the other lane. Let the 100% US made header systems of American Racing Headers make the difference in your hot rod.

BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
What about Doug Thorley triY headers. I have seen posted somewhere that the 1-3/4" are making more HP than standard 1-7/8" headers. Plus they come coated and cost about the same as TSP.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #37
WhyMe

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 2SS
I seem to remember Jannetty doing a header to header comparision a couple years ago. About the same time they did a cat back test. Same 2010 SS/RS with conditions the same for each run. Are those results still out there?
WhyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #38
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
I did the Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers and gained 37whp and over 45 ft-lbs with tuning from my baseline(from 349whp/351ft-lbs to 386whp/401ft-lbs)

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #39
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Stainless Works, American Racing and Kooks are the standard top shelf. If the budget allows then by all means, if not theres other alternatives. TSP, JBA and OBX are the lower shelf headers(price wise) that perform well.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #40
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
I seem to remember Jannetty doing a header to header comparision a couple years ago. About the same time they did a cat back test. Same 2010 SS/RS with conditions the same for each run. Are those results still out there?
Yes Sir, Here you go. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63640
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #41
John Deere Racer

Drives: 2013 zl1 m6
LG motorsports
Peak and avg more than most brands

592rwhp 616rwtq bolt ons only
www.mikenorrismotorsports.com
Www.lgmotorsports.com
John Deere Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #42
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
There's a secret that is no secret about headers. For maximum performance and reliability you should get headers that are designed to have the primary tubes all the same length. This is less important in FI engines but it will help balance out the cylinder temps in those applications. In NA engines, as soon as you start camming up into overlap, this is crucial to scavenging. The exhaust flow through the header causes a vacuum in the tubes not on the exhaust stroke, this vacuum is pre-filling the cylinder with air-fuel during the period that the piston is hanging around at top dead and both the intake and exhaust valves are hanging open.

I don't have headers on my Camaro (yet) but I drag race and hand built the headers on my Vega race car. I went through great lengths to get the tubes all the same length.

Take a look at ARH and LG headers. They are equal length tube headers.
There is a lot more design and cost in making these as you can see there is more bends in the tubes to achieve equal length in each tube.

Take a look at another brand:

They may look cleaner, but no effort has gone in to making the tubes equal length. They are also easier to manufacture, hence the lower price. You get what you pay for. I'm not here to endorse one brand or another, just to educate.