Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #113
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
I hope that catch that perp.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #114
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
Did the car crash while the cops were following him? Why did they not just shut the car down via onstar?
Police don't know that every 2010 Camaro is equipped with Onstar, and I doubt every police officer even knows that Onstar is capable of stopping the Camaro.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #115
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
I would take every small chance possible to put some lead in that guy. Certainly not when he has his gun on me, but as soon as that prick gets in the car and is ready to drive off, I'm going to aim & squeeze the trigger as many times as possible. If you're in the trunk going at a decent speed (coming to a stop...at a stop...leaving a stop) you can start firing the gun when you feel good about it.

Granted, you're not going to think of this immediately, as soon as you can think for a few seconds, you'll know what to do.

Of course, you'll need to have a Concealed Weapons Permit, that doesn't really matter if you're in the trunk & your life is in danger. I would choose spend 10-20 years in prison over death ANY day, which is probably the case in a lot of these situations.

Now that everybody has had a chance to think if what they would do in this situation, they'll be more likely to act & get away with their life (if they have a concealed weapon or 1 in their trunk.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #116
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
JUST A CAR? She WAS abducted.
Quote:
She was kidnapped too BTW.
Are you even reading the posts I've been responding to? The people who would try to shoot someone for taking their car? I've been responding to the people who say they would pull out a gun and easily shoot someone who is hijacking their car with a gun.

Let him take the car. If he's going to abduct you (this is less common with men, which you all seem to be) then by all means fight back. Fight back as in run the f*** away because he has a gun and will shoot you if you physically fight him. Do not try to be a hero and pull out a gun or you will get shot as this is the real world and carjackers are borderline insane.

I'm NOT comparing this to the girl who got kidnapped. That is a tragedy and she is lucky to be alive. However, had she tried to pull a gun on him she would most likely be DEAD. Don't fight back, let them take the car, call the police, and let professionals capture the thief and get your car back. All of you that go "No one can steal from me I'll just shoot him" don't live in the real world and would probably die trying to be a hero while saving their car...which would be returned to you anyways had you walked away like an intelligent person. This has nothing to do with pride or manliness...the guy has a gun in your face and you're going to let him "win" this round and take your car knowing you will get your car back and he will go to jail in the long run...and you won't have to risk your life doing the work of a police officer.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #117
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflyer72 View Post
1. I find it interesting that you point out that a person who is being carjacked at gunpoint does not have the right to kill. In fact that person has every right to defend themselves in any manner if they fear for their life, until such time as they no longer fear for their life, which most people in this country (maybe) would agree you would fear for your life when being carjacked at gunpoint.

2. Then you say that you wish that all thieves could magically disappear from the face of the earth if caught in the act... Hmmm, putting them 6 feet under is definitely making them disappear from the face of the earth. I am a little tired of our tax dollars paying to keep criminals in prison, getting 3 squares a warm bed and cable tv... so rest assured I won't lose a minute of sleep if I have to drop the hammer on some slacker that wants to threaten my life, or those around me so they can "go on a joy ride"

And for anyone out there who thinks a law-abiding, armed citizen = paranoid, I think you ought to ask that woman how paranoid it is or any of the other thousands of carjacking, kidnapping, etc victims out there today who are lucky to count themselves as those who lived through an ordeal such as that. Yes, pulling a weapon of any sort in a confrontation is a calculated risk that definitely needs careful consideration (and training) before escalating to that level, but to be prepared and trained to do so, oftentimes eliminates the possibility of ever getting into that situation in the first place. These situations can often be avoided simply by being extra aware of your surroundings and realizing that if things feel weird, it's because they are.

That's right...you do not have the right to KILL... that would be murder! However, you do have the right to defend yourself... 2 defferent things there. Some cities/states will prosecute even if you are in the right! I don't think any jury would convict you.... but then again the financial damage is done with all the legal fees!

I don't like thieves and would want to shoot them if I had the opportuity! I was agreeing with Stoutfiles that just cause you have a gun doesn't mean you will have the opportunity to use it to protect yourself and if you do... then what legal matters will follow! If you choose to shoot, that's your choice just make sure you hit the carjacker and not an innocent bystander!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #118
off1c3r

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT 50th
I hope that guy burns.. It makes me so mad, I wish I was there to help track him down.
off1c3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #119
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflyer72 View Post
You're assuming that the person will be satisfied with just the car, remember you can identify them now and while they are willing to do something like carjack you which could end them up back in jail, they may not want to go back to jail, so for a lot of hardened, career criminals they don't mind killing you to hopefully not get identified later... stupid logic, but enough for me to take EVERY precaution when it comes to protecting my family, myself and my Camaro/property. I will not go down without a solid fight, ever, anywhere, period.
Oh, and I ALWAYS have superior firepower and the knowledge and training to more than adequately employ it, so yes, if there are any wanna be car jackers looking for a 2ss around here... well, you get the idea. Let's just say I won't be the one riding in the trunk.
I know....You'll be riding Shotgun!!
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #120
cajuntyes

Drives: 2004 Chevy Colorado & 2003 Accord
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmjow View Post
Wait so those radio commercials lie when those people have wrecks and onstar person pops up? They can't press the button to a readily available agent? Also, even if onstar does get on why would they have to verify anything?? You're in the vehicle! I mean unless of course you're doing the cell phone route or what not, but man that would just be crapping twiddling your thumbs to music until someone can get on so you can explain your situation.
The car;via remote signal; contacts onstar if air bag is deployed. So no not if you are car jacked. She would have had to had a way to contact onstar which was no possible for her. If she could have it can shut car down. A second panic trunk onstar or shut down button in the trunk is a great idea. Come on GM step up and do it first. It is sad that the world has come to this.
cajuntyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #121
DCSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Blk
I agree with stoutfiles views on that a carjacking is normally something that happens to you when you least expect it, in an instant, therefore it's not prudent or possible to pull a weapon yourself and use it. Most occur at intersections or while your getting in or out of your vehicle when it's parked, and often times while you are pumping gas or putting kids in carseats. Most people never see the c/jacker even approaching them...due to not paying attention to their surroundings, on the cell, or just daydreaming etc...just imagine sitting at a long red light, maybe you change the radio station, look at a text message or something to make you look away from your windows and rear view mirrors. Regardless what you do to look away from what's going on around you for that moment, when you do look back you notice a minivan just pulled up besides you and the sidedoor opens, out jumps a man, with a mask, pointing a gun at you through your window (it will look like a cannon)...he's only about 5 feet away...what are you going to do now? Most people will freeze and comply (human nature) and do exactly what they say (you say otherwise maybe your lying to yourself right now, military, off-duty Officer, Clint Eastwood, ex-con, whoever you are), regardless if you have a gun on you, in the glovebox, or console...there is no way you can get yours out and shoot or defend yourself without him seeing it, in that instant (cept tinted windows and most will not try to jack that just for that reason). Even if you get the 'drop' on him he can still return fire, and he is right next to you.
If you do have the chance to arm yourself during this, yes by all means you have a right to defend your life or the life of another...when you can justify it by saying you were in fear of your life or that of another. When you do this and if they die...it's a homicide, but justifiable. When an Officer uses force and death results, they are techinically charged with homicide...they just get cleared of it once it's ruled justified...that's why Officers involved in use of lethal force are placed on leave for so long afterwards...the legal process and investigation start and takes time. They don't just return to work afterwards like in the movies. Citizens have this same right to defend life.
Just be correct and as mentioned in a comment above, I wouldn't advise shooting at your car as it drives away after you get it taken from you...that's a f' you shooting and your not defending anyones life at this point. You just may be wearing a striped jumpsuit afterwards, if you don't care that's on you. Some jurisdictions have laws to protect property also, but it's not that many and I can't comment on that.
Also victims being placed in the trunk during a carjacking is not uncommon. Think about it...if you took someone's car at gunpoint, you want to use that car for some reason. You let the person go and know the first thing they will do is call the police. Now what? You have maybe a little time before onstar, lojack, etc...are activated and every Officer is looking for this vehicle, because they want to get in 'that chase' (can't beat that adrenline rush-skydiving doesn't compare). No you put the person in the trunk and you have all the time in the world to use this car for whatever you needed it for. Cajuntyes had a good idea with a Lojack button in the trunk.
BTW for those living in the DC metro area, especially the DC-PG County border areas, carjackings are very common, almost nightly, they are all not reported on the news. It's quite the opposite, only a few chosen stories are reported in the media. Ones that are from affluent parts of the area. It's probably the same across the country.
The best way, I believe, to defend yourself from this even occuring is to pay attention of your surroundings always. Leave space in between your car and others at lights, plan ahead where and when you will get your gas, etc. By all means, if you can legally arm yourself and you want too, do that also...but remember if you can't get yours out first-it's just a piece of metal sitting there and can do nothing to help you, unless you think bullets will bounce off of you and take that chance to grab yours while one is pointed at you. It's real life folks...they don't care, they just want the car your in. One way or another, in any condition, it will be returned at some point to you.
Be safe everybody and this was just my point of view from 20 years working the streets of SE DC. If it's going to happen to you, it will be a life-changing event and your property isn't worth your life.

3800, Order produced 6-12-09
5000, Delivered to the dealer 6-25-09
6000, Delivered to the customer 6-27-09
2SS Black/Black-RS-Auto-Sunroof
DCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #122
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
And SE DC is not a fun place to be in after dark..... its rough there!!
thesnoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #123
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
...I wonder why she did not use the trunk release...
An indicator on the dash would have alerted the thief about the trunk as soon as she pulled the release. As small as the opening to the trunk is, she probably wouldn't have had time to get out before he stopped and possibly hurt or even killed her with a few shots. I would not have blamed her for trying though given the potential events that could have come later on that evening for all she knew.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #124
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Mine will be protected by Smith & Wesson. That's why I have a concealed carry permit.
Don't mess with Texas!
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #125
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
why didn't she use the escape handle in the trunk to jump out?
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #126
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged

Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer78 View Post
Whenever I'm at an intersection/stop, I keep it in 1st gear with with the clutch pedal to the floor.(probably not good for the throw out bearing) I'm always aware of my surroundings, just in case I need to drop the hammer.
Good idea. Also, I was always told to make sure you can see the rear tires of the car in front of you, giving you enough room to escape if necessary.
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote