Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
Johnathanallan

Drives: 2015 2ss v8 camaro
Camaro shifting early

Hello everyone so i have a question to ask you guys. So after my parents got a flowmaster exhaust system put in their 2014 v8 automatic camaro 2ss the car started shifting really early, so we thought maybe the car just needs to get use to them. But its been a few weeks and its still doing it. The car would be going 55 mph and it's already in 6th. Also when the car starts up sometimes it has a bubble pop sound. Any info will help, we already brought it to chevy and the said the transmission is fine. We have another appointment next week and the service manager is going to drive in it.

Last edited by Johnathanallan; 08-18-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Johnathanallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Gilly Monster

Drives: '14 2SS/RS
Wasn't aware the 2015s had hit the showroom floors yet. Did you mean 2014?
Gilly Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Mmm.... that would be the super conservative MPG-based auto trans tune. :(
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Johnathanallan

Yeah sorry that's what i meant.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
That seems about right. Mine's a stick but the first one was an auto and it hit 6th around there. If I'm on a mission to save gas I hit 6th on mine between 45 and 50. Saves tons of fuel if you keep the RPM's low. Very hard to do for me though. lol
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
backbaconrules

Drives: 2011 LT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly Monster View Post
Wasn't aware the 2015s had hit the showroom floors yet. Did you mean 2014?
They sure are
backbaconrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
Johnathanallan

What could be causing the exhaust to be making that sound when it starts up.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
They sound like that stock. It's just how they are.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
Learn to love that sound!! It's awesome!
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Our exhaust makes some slight pop on startup too. Quite normal. I'd tell them not to sweat it. Otherwise, if they want to have the tranny hold a lower gear a bit longer, have them place the gear selector in manual mode and don't hit either of the shift paddles and it will go into sport mode and shift automatically just like when in D mode. This will be indicated by a S readout on the gear selector screen between the speedometer and tach. This feature will hold a lower gear a bit longer than regular D mode as long as it is being driven a bit spiritedly. The shift lever can be placed in this M position while at a stop or on the move. Once they get better with it , they can try some paddle shifting in straight manual mode while watching the tach for best rpm shift points. Any time they want to exit out of M mode after either one of the paddles have been used while in Sport mode, simply hold in on the upshift paddle for a couple of seconds and the tranny will shift back into Sport mode and shift up and down on its own. Otherwise 6th gear at 55 or so is normal for easy cruising in drive mode.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
Our exhaust makes some slight pop on startup too. Quite normal. I'd tell them not to sweat it. Otherwise, if they want to have the tranny hold a lower gear a bit longer, have them place the gear selector in manual mode and don't hit either of the shift paddles and it will go into sport mode and shift automatically just like when in D mode. This will be indicated by a S readout on the gear selector screen between the speedometer and tach. This feature will hold a lower gear a bit longer than regular D mode as long as it is being driven a bit spiritedly. The shift lever can be placed in this M position while at a stop or on the move. Once they get better with it , they can try some paddle shifting in straight manual mode while watching the tach for best rpm shift points. Any time they want to exit out of M mode after either one of the paddles have been used while in Sport mode, simply hold in on the upshift paddle for a couple of seconds and the tranny will shift back into Sport mode and shift up and down on its own. Otherwise 6th gear at 55 or so is normal for easy cruising in drive mode.
Well explained RobertRs,
I figured this out at about a weeks time after owning this awesome machine. Also thanks to the camaro5 members.
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #12
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathanallan View Post
Hello everyone so i have a question to ask you guys. So after my parents got a flowmaster exhaust system put in their 2014 v8 automatic camaro 2ss the car started shifting really early, so we thought maybe the car just needs to get use to them. But its been a few weeks and its still doing it. The car would be going 55 mph and it's already in 6th. Also when the car starts up sometimes it has a bubble pop sound. Any info will help, we already brought it to chevy and the said the transmission is fine. We have another appointment next week and the service manager is going to drive in it.
The popping sound u hear, Is a normal trait to camaros, I personally enjoy it, especially after upgrading my exhaust to magnaflow 3’ tru x-pipe catback and adding Cold air intake, couldn’t be happier.
Using paddle shifters can avoid going into 6th gear early, like robertRS explained.
It takes some time to get used to paddle shifting, but once u get it down, you’ll love it. I DO.
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #13
Johnathanallan

Yeah my father uses the paddle shifters allot actually. He was just wondering why it did that in automatic but now i'm starting to understand it. Thank you for the help you guys are awesome.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #14
Johnathanallan

Alright thanks this helps allot!