The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Automotive Alliteration

Yea or nay?

Chevy (Camaro, Celebrity, Covalt, Cavalier, Cruze, etc...) and ford (Fairmont, Focus, Fiesta, Falcon, etc...) are the worst with it, but others have fallen into the trap: Chrysler Concorde, Oldsmobile Omega, Cadillac Cimmeron etc.... It always bothered me the lengths it seems Chevy and ford go to finding that "C" or "f" model name. Anyone else notice or care?

I have 20 minutes to kill as I sit here bored to death before a meeting, and my brain never shuts off.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
SS/RS2010

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Mercury followed that pattern a lot as well. ( I know, an upscale Ford) Monterrey, Montego, Montclair, Marauder, Mariner.....
SS/RS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Chevy has had the Impala, Lumina, El Camino, Malibu, Aveo/Sonic, Tahoe, Equinox, Trax, Silverado, Montana, Van, and others

C is a common letter, so it doesn't surprise me that some models start with that. As long as it's not Chevy Mustang, I'm good.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Chevy has had the Impala, Lumina, El Camino, Malibu, Aveo/Sonic, Tahoe, Equinox, Trax, Silverado, Montana, Van, and others

C is a common letter, so it doesn't surprise me that some models start with that. As long as it's not Chevy Mustang, I'm good.
I never said that's ALL they do.

They do go out of their way to keep the theme going. Cruze? It's not even a real word. Of course neither was Camaro.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Dodge: Dart, Demon, Daytona, Dakota, Diplomat, Deluxe, Dynasty.
Mitsubishi had a lot: Magna, Magnum, Montero, model A, Mirage, MiEV, minica, minicab, mighty max, mazdago, Maven
Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post

They do go out of their way to keep the theme going. Cruze? It's not even a real word. Of course neither was Camaro.
Neither was Lumina. Still, I owned one and it was a decent car.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

Not really, at least not anymore.

In the past there was a concerted effort to do all C-names with Chevrolet. Now's there's only 4 models in the entire US Chevrolet lineup that start with C, and only 2 of those hail back to those days.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #8
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
We do it to, we just have more fun with it...

Turbos twist tires tremendously

At least someday in my future they will!!
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Yea or nay?

Chevy (Camaro, Celebrity, Covalt, Cavalier, Cruze, etc...) and ford (Fairmont, Focus, Fiesta, Falcon, etc...) are the worst with it, but others have fallen into the trap: Chrysler Concorde, Oldsmobile Omega, Cadillac Cimmeron etc.... It always bothered me the lengths it seems Chevy and ford go to finding that "C" or "f" model name. Anyone else notice or care?

I have 20 minutes to kill as I sit here bored to death before a meeting, and my brain never shuts off.
Never bothered me. Makes it easier to remember which brand made which car.

But speaking of alliterative naming ... apparently Stan Lee at Marvel Comics was terrible at remembering his characters names, so he gave a lot of them alliterative names. Peter Parker. Bruce Banner. Reed Richards. Sue Storm. Matt Murdoch. Scott Summers. Wade Wilson. The list goes on and on.

Until I had that pointed out to me sometime in the last couple years, I never even noticed.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:

There was a service tech from France doing some warrenty work on one of our production machines. I asked him if it was true, the story about Camaro being a French slang word for friend. He said he would check it out on his phone, first he told me Camaro was a car! The next day he said he looked into it and it was true, that Camaro was short for camaroado, wich in French means 'partner in the fight against power'. So Camaro really is a French slang word. So back in the day when the Camaro was introduced in 1967, you and your car were 'partners in the fight against the power' of the the day, the dreaded Ford Mustang!
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote