The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray vs...

Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Will the new Z06 fit the criteria for supercar?

In short, this.

Was wandering through the Gold Coast of Chicago today with a friend and we took a few detours, visited the Bentley dealer and a showroom with a Stingray sitting out front. He's a big import guy but he definitely gave the stingray its props which was cool.

Eventually we got into a interesting conversation about the Z06 due out, since I'm currently planning to purchase one I may have gotten a bit more heart into it but I told him I figured the new Z06 would fit well as a supercar. He looked at me as if I was crazy, even when mentioning the ZR1 he would not budge on anything more then a high end sports car. Mind you, he's all about the Porsches and Lamborghinis but I felt he was narrowing the definition of supercar down to only price range. Nonetheless it piqued my curiosity.

I wanted to ask you guys, was I overzealous? Does the Corvette belong in the realm of high end sports car or would it be appropriate to label the Z06 and ZR1 trims supercar? What would be the adequate definition of a supercar as it seems to vary from site to site and enthusiast to enthusiast. Has it changed over time? I've heard of hypercars as well but being younger I wanted some insight from some folks who have been around the block so to speak.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Kochaloch

Drives: C7 Z51, BENZ GLK 350, Titan
My two cents, I'm also young and biased to vettes soooo...

Super car - significantly above performance of the average daily driver car(pretty much impractical for a daily driver).
High end Sports car - above performance of the average sports car, can hold it's own on the track/drag strip.
Sports car - above performance of the average daily driver car.

That being said I would put the z06 and Zr1 in supercar bucket and the normal vette in high end sports car bucket.

Now where price comes in to play i would say anything that's reaching the hundreds of thousands range would get a exotic label as well. At this point your paying mostly for the brand than performance. For example I would lable a lambo a exotic supercar, but a z06/zr1 just a supercar.

8/20/2013 - 1100
1/16/2014 - 2000
1/20/2014 - 3000
1/24/2014 - 3300
2/10/2014 - 3400
2/14/2014 - 3800
2/26/2014 - Delivered!!!
Kochaloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Supercar performance.... I would say very likely.

But there are other traits that makes a supercar what it is. The Stingray has come a long way in quality and finish, but most supercars, or exotics, have a much tighter tolerance for parts fitment and material, along with styling that sets them ahead. For instance, have you ever looked at the gap between body panels on an exotic? They are very fine, where in comparison our cars' gaps look huge.

So I guess it just depends on what you feel a "supercar" really is. Performance isn't everything. Ever seen that top gear episode with the Mitsubishi EVO holding its own against the Lambo? I wouldn't consider the EVO a supercar just because of that, and I would guess nobody else would either.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
DucMan

Drives: Civic
First congrats and deciding to buy the Z06 which I think falls into the category of Ultra Cool!
I would say that supercar status has more to do with exclusivity of less than say a few hundred units, technology and design such as Ferrari - LaFerrari, Pagani - Huayra , Porsche - Carrera GT or McLaren.
Sports cars - Two passenger cars that promote sport type driving. No distinction between cost. Comparing cars based on cost should be left to the buyer. I have always hated reading the Corvette is a good car for the price. If it is good let it be good.
Muscle Cars - More than two passengers that promote speed more than sport type driving.
I would put the Z06 up against the 458, 911, Aventador, Viper and any other manufacturer of a two seat car sports car and anticipate that it does more than hold its own.

02/22/2014 Placed Order at Dealer
02/28/2014 1100
02/28/2014 1102
DucMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
AlexY

Drives: NYC Subway...
The reason your friend only likes those cars is one thing, exclusivity. Because the Corvette is the most affordable SUPERCAR, it is more common and not as exclusive as Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, or other supercars that spontaneously combust...
AlexY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
I think it is said, though in the automotive community things are pretty split and there is pressure to push people one way or another. Either you like American cars and only Americans cars in the US or you like import cars, you can not like both and you can not appreciate vehicles made from all countries.

Here is the thing, cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc... are more about status and how one is viewed by others. Corvette is about winning..... and that is honestly the big difference between the two cars.

Really though there seems to be a new segment that is above super car which is hyper car. Supercars are now strictly about a cars ability to perform and super cars must perform at the top levels in every aspect. This is why the Nissan GTR is often called a supercar by many people (and honestly it deserves it). Cars like the La Ferrari, Porsche 918, and Lamborghini Veneno which have a combined 750-1000BHP and weigh in at around 3,000 pounds would fit that bill.

Considering how well the Z51 C7 performs and looking at what the C7 Z06 has to offer and the stated out of the box faster then C6 Zr1 really pushes its performance to new highs. Remember that the C6 ZR1 ran the ring in 7:19.63 and if the C7 Z06 is already faster then that without developmental work then OMG.

In other words would your friend consider cars that will be much slower on the track then the C7 Z06 in higher regard then them?.

Another thing is that once upon a time people were ok with European and Japanese cars being slower then American cars in a line. They would say that the European and Japanese cars can turn and that is what they prefer. Now that some of the fastest accelerating cars on the road are European and Japanese and some of the best handling cars are American acceleration becomes much more important. This is because those individuals are biases and from my experience do not know anything technical about cars, real car fans likes all cars.... nationalist love things made by their favorite country....
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
Sorry that I'm late, but I would definitely call it a supercar myself. Although I hate to admit that many others will probably not call it that. I think that we will definitely have a good chance of labeling the ZR1 as a supercar though. If it looks like a supercar, is faster than a supercar, and has the amenities/luxury of a supercar....then it's a supercar!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
My definition of a super car... any car that can make your heart race and take your breath away when you look at it and/or drive it.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote