Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyGT500 View Post
svt cobra from 93-to current were always faster stock for stock. (street cars)I know you might say well gm didnt have a svt program but thats too bad.They had their choices.Top line to top line.Chevy has always been beat.Corvette is the exception.But you all know thats not in the same class.
Some people class sports/muscle cars by price range. Thus paying 47,755 plus 18,000$ puts your beloved shelby right in the price range of ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the Corvette.

The SVT mustangs have never been in the same price range as the camaro. ya chevy had the choice to not have a program like svt so all that coment proves is that they are in different classes that cannot be compaired with out knowledge of the differences in performance characteristics. You wouldn't compair your GT500 to a stock 1969 vw bug it would be like compairing apples to oranges.

Alow me to also point out the 2002 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 limited to 69 total cars show me a stock mustang that can compete with that.
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...et_camaro_zl1/ http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carli...n_LotNumber=86

Quote:
I paid a $18,000 premium for my Shelby.Sucks but i wanted it.
websight for base shelby gt 500
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/ford...37/prices.html
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #16
shelbyGT500

Drives: 07 shelby GT-500
Guys please dont get me wrong.I love camaros, they were my first cars.I will be buying a new one also.That aside I have never seen a stock 5.7tpi beat a 5.0FI mustang. Mustangs ran low 15s from what i have seen and 5.7s rarley dropped below 16s in 1/4 mile...................

I however am a enthusiast and REALIST of all high performance cars and trucks .I am not brand loyal.was a teenager in a time where Lightnings were the trucks and cobras were the cars...........If chevy was so great, they should have showed it, thats all.......

I see this is they typical die hard chevy forum so i wont bother with anymore opinions
shelbyGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #17
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Don't let one or two opionions define the forum, we are all posting here as fans of the new Camaro

Personally, I think GM has learned a thing or two about pricing and performance. For the money, the Z06 Corvette is very tough to beat compared to the rest of the world. I believe some of this technology and performance will make it's way between the panels of the new Camaro.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:35 AM   #18
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
ShelbyGT500 dont get me wrong about the Lightning and Cobras they were the top dogs of the 90's The main point I was trying to make is that there is no real comparison between the Z28/SS and a cobra. I just dont like it when someone bashes one of the big three and any of their products. Yes I am brand loyal however my brand loyalty is to Chevrolet Dodge and Ford. I will always buy American cars. Further more I agree that the cobra was top dog it is just my love for the Camaro being my first car if only for a month is undying. I have always liked the looks of the camaros the most. Ya the 80's were a trying time looks wise but they were trying times looks wise for the mustangs too. I have never liked the looks of the fox body mustangs. And please dont stop giving your opinions. All opinions are greatly appreciated. They make for good conversations. Please continue to give yours.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:39 AM   #19
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:

svt cobra from 93-to current were always faster stock for stock. (street cars)I know you might say well gm didnt have a svt program but thats too bad.They had their choices.Top line to top line.Chevy has always been beat.Corvette is the exception.But you all know thats not in the same class.
I smoked plenty of 90's cobras in both my stock 93 T/A and my stock 95 T/A and neither of my cars were even WS6.

In the later years the numbers on paper were close to the same, I know a few years of the cobra, maybe like 97-99, had issues putting the power to the pavement. Something about either a lot of drivetrain loss or a bad rear end. In 03 When the supercharger came in is when it was a no contest

Here are some comparisons, keep in mind that these are z28's not SS, SS is specialized by SLP which I think would be equivalent to SVT for the stangs

93 Cobra
Base Number of Cylinders: 8
Base Engine Size: 5 liters
Base Engine Type: V8
Horsepower: 235 hp
Max Horsepower: 4200 rpm
Torque: 280 ft-lbs.

93 Z28
Base Engine Size: 5.7 liters
Horsepower: 275 hp
Max Horsepower: 5000 rpm
Torque: 325 ft-lbs.

95 Cobra
Base Engine Size: 5 liters
Horsepower: 240 hp
Max Horsepower: 4800 rpm
Torque: 285 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4000 rpm

95 Z28
Horsepower: 275 hp
Max Horsepower: 5000 rpm
Max Torque: 2000 rpm

97 Cobra
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5.6 sec.
Base Engine Size: 4.6 liters
Horsepower: 305 hp
Max Horsepower: 5800 rpm
Torque: 300 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4800 rpm

97 Z28
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5.8 sec.
Horsepower: 285 hp
Max Horsepower: 5200 rpm
Max Torque: 2400 rpm
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Guys, I'm sorry...but I have a feeling the 93 Cobra had a wee bit more hp than that and was most likely faster than a Z28. Not trying to start an argument here or anything, but I've experienced the 93 Cobra first hand. My previous roommate had a 93 5.0 H0 (stolen from my old apt complex) and then bought the 93 Cobra (which I "picked up for him" after having his alarm installed). It only took me 2 hours to go about 7 miles to drop if off at his work....hehehehe... So here it is. I've driven the Cobra...it was #*#*#*# fast! I have also driven his 97 LT1 Z28 and it sure did not feel like keeping up to that Cobra. I don't have factual written info...just first hand experience driving both. I could be wrong and it could be different when running them side by side...but let's be real....the fox body 5.0 ltr Mustangs were FAST. When they slapped in the 4.6 ltr V8, they screwed up big time and there's a ton of people out there who will agree with me on that one. I loved that 5.0!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #21
OverAnxious

Yep, I have no personal experience with the FOX body Cobras.
My discussion above refers to the production models GT and Z28 respectively. Once you start talking about SVT and SS Camaros and the other tuner models, it's all bets off.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #22
Sparky76

Drives: 2000 Chevy Blazer
Opinions are what keeps this thing going here's a long post

Hey Shelby GT500 don't back off man. I've read all the opinions and seen the facts and here's my .02 cents...

Of course this story has to start with "when I was back in HS" but that's when I first started driving. We all know the stories, lol. Up here on Long Island in the early 90s the modded 5.0 stangs ruled the road.

They were legendary for bang for the buck. But there were a few Chevy enthusiasts with some money that had the modded z-28's that would spank the fords. I only liked the notchback verts on the fox bodies. Other than that I give style points to Chevy in that time frame, from the 80s-early 90s.

I could never afford the car I wanted in HS so I drove a '78 Buick regal with the 5.0 motor. It had some spunk that car and a few backseat adventures haha.

Anyway it was a long time before I got my first pony car and that's when I started selling Fords in 2001. I sold a 2002 Mustang GT 5 spd to myself and then the mustang fever began. I started going to car shows and keeping my stang detailed and clean, it had no performance mods just body stripes on the lower rocker panels and tints.

I sold it a couple months ago with 49k on the clock and 3 accidents. lol...1st accident was 10k in damage, front end collision, both airbags deployed, major body work. It was never the same after that.

Anyway I had my fair share of street races in the stang and I lost every time to the Z28. The car was a pig actually and if I had the money I would have preferred the Camaro SS.

I now drive a 2000 Blazer LT, it's my 2nd GM car, first Chevy, and I'm never looking back. I love the Blazer, and can go on and on about it, but this is a Camaro forum.

I'm looking at 3rd and 4th gen SS Camaros on Ebay right now and I see a few I like...who knows this might tide me over until the 5th gen is here. I'm doing some research and find that a lot of F body cars need the sub frame connector mod right off the bat. Especially if you pull into steep driveways or intend on doing any kind of mods.

The other popular troubleshooting mod is going with the aluminum driveshaft to eliminate vibrations. I've been in a few friend's camaro's where there is some serious vibes during deceleration from high speeds with no braking.

I hope the 5th gen doesn't have these issues. As most of us may know before you can modify a muscle car and make more power you need a solid foundation to build on. How much money will GM spend on styling and power compared to durability and handling?

Hopefully I can just drop a supercharger and exhaust in the 5th gen (when they come out) and have no worries or would I have to spend more money in frame mods so I don't torque the car to shreds...
Sparky76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 AM   #23
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Sparky76, I've never heard of anyone having serious vibrations due to the drive shaft. I'm thinking that someone ran over something or bottomed out somehow. Also, sub frame connectors are more than just a good idea when you start getting into the heavy mods. But for regular driving around and an occasional trip to the track, stock is fine. You won't hurt or twist anything.

I know quite a few people w/ 4th gens and it's pretty much the same across the board...they are very reliable. I'd say, the only recurring problem w/ my 4th gen is the brakes...actually it is specifically the rotors warping. It happened on all 3 of my 4th gens. Of course, there are a lot of guys complaining about loosing the rear end and breaking drive shafts. But, then again, those are usually modded up and are not completely built to handle the extra added power.

If you are serious about getting into a 4th Gen, there are a bunch out there that are really nice. It is not difficult at all to find an 01/02 w/ LOW miles and in a good price range. If you don't find what you want, wait a couple weeks and you will find what you're looking for. Good luck!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:06 AM   #24
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky76 View Post
Hey Shelby GT500 don't back off man. I've read all the opinions and seen the facts and here's my .02 cents...

Of course this story has to start with "when I was back in HS" but that's when I first started driving. We all know the stories, lol. Up here on Long Island in the early 90s the modded 5.0 stangs ruled the road.

They were legendary for bang for the buck. But there were a few Chevy enthusiasts with some money that had the modded z-28's that would spank the fords. I only liked the notchback verts on the fox bodies. Other than that I give style points to Chevy in that time frame, from the 80s-early 90s.

I could never afford the car I wanted in HS so I drove a '78 Buick regal with the 5.0 motor. It had some spunk that car and a few backseat adventures haha.

Anyway it was a long time before I got my first pony car and that's when I started selling Fords in 2001. I sold a 2002 Mustang GT 5 spd to myself and then the mustang fever began. I started going to car shows and keeping my stang detailed and clean, it had no performance mods just body stripes on the lower rocker panels and tints.

I sold it a couple months ago with 49k on the clock and 3 accidents. lol...1st accident was 10k in damage, front end collision, both airbags deployed, major body work. It was never the same after that.

Anyway I had my fair share of street races in the stang and I lost every time to the Z28. The car was a pig actually and if I had the money I would have preferred the Camaro SS.

I now drive a 2000 Blazer LT, it's my 2nd GM car, first Chevy, and I'm never looking back. I love the Blazer, and can go on and on about it, but this is a Camaro forum.

I'm looking at 3rd and 4th gen SS Camaros on Ebay right now and I see a few I like...who knows this might tide me over until the 5th gen is here. I'm doing some research and find that a lot of F body cars need the sub frame connector mod right off the bat. Especially if you pull into steep driveways or intend on doing any kind of mods.

The other popular troubleshooting mod is going with the aluminum driveshaft to eliminate vibrations. I've been in a few friend's camaro's where there is some serious vibes during deceleration from high speeds with no braking.

I hope the 5th gen doesn't have these issues. As most of us may know before you can modify a muscle car and make more power you need a solid foundation to build on. How much money will GM spend on styling and power compared to durability and handling?

Hopefully I can just drop a supercharger and exhaust in the 5th gen (when they come out) and have no worries or would I have to spend more money in frame mods so I don't torque the car to shreds...

Ive heard alot about people having vibration issues with the driveshafts and having to switch to the 1LE Aluminum, They even had a recall for them, I cant remember what years tho

You can go to F-Body.com and use the search feature to find ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING your looking for, and if by chance you dont find it post and you will get numerous answers and help from some of the most knowledgable 4th gen people I know of, I frequented the site when I had my T/A, there are some threads in there that state all the weak points and common problems for the 93-97 LT1 F-body and the 98-02 LS1 F-body
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:15 AM   #25
OverAnxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky76 View Post

Again, the conversation is STOCK FOR STOCK

There is no doubt the modded F body and Mustang market is still smoking hot
Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #26
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
hmm I remember somewhere on tv back in 99 that the cobras were having so many problems that a v-6 camaro could beat them. at least that's what the tv show said. I was trying to pull up an story from like car and driver on that. and they do talk about the problems and that a 98 ss could walk them with out any problems and then they compared a 98 ss to an 01 cobra. why? I mean shouldn't they have compared an 01 to an 01? b/c we all know that in 01 we started seeing the z06 heads on the f bodies. which in turn gave them more power. hmmm oh well. still stands that mustangs need power adders to beat a camaro at the track.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #27
OverAnxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
hmm I remember somewhere on tv back in 99 that the cobras were having so many problems that a v-6 camaro could beat them. at least that's what the tv show said. I was trying to pull up an story from like car and driver on that. and they do talk about the problems and that a 98 ss could walk them with out any problems and then they compared a 98 ss to an 01 cobra. why? I mean shouldn't they have compared an 01 to an 01? b/c we all know that in 01 we started seeing the z06 heads on the f bodies. which in turn gave them more power. hmmm oh well. still stands that mustangs need power adders to beat a camaro at the track.
I doubt any reliable source wrote a V6 Camaro could beat a Cobra...

I do remember the 1999 Cobra had a big issue with the IRS breaking under power, alot of local guys replaced them with GT rear axles. SVT did some restructuring not too long after that.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #28
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
I doubt any reliable source wrote a V6 Camaro could beat a Cobra...

I do remember the 1999 Cobra had a big issue with the IRS breaking under power, alot of local guys replaced them with GT rear axles. SVT did some restructuring not too long after that.
well like I said it was a tv show that said it. I was trying to find it on the net here. but can't. so I'm prob remembering wrong but according to the story I was reading they weren't even making the claimed 320 hp in 99 that they were suppose to. it was a car and driver story that stated this http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ang-cobra.html
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote