The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #5139
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Sigh.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #5140
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I used to work for Steve. He was VP of Global Product Planning before he was head of GM Canada.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #5141
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
“We agree to disagree and we move on,” de Nysschen told Bloomberg. “There wasn’t a fight. Let’s call it philosophical differences.”
The abrupt change, according to two people familiar with the decision, was a result of de Nysschen’s reluctance to accelerate product and operating plans and capitalize on current U.S. market conditions, where industry sales remain healthy. GM executives, the sources said, acknowledge that it takes time to rebuild a brand but there needs to be more commitment to the here and now, rather than the future.
Hmm...
Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #5142
FenwickHockey65

And on the heels of that announcement...

http://cadillacsociety.com/2018/04/1...or-first-time/

XT6.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #5143
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Hmm...
So if I am reading that right, they are implying that JDN possibly didn't want to speed up plans for what is hot in the market right now? as in CUVs and SUVs Is that what anybody else got out of that?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #5144
FenwickHockey65

Sounds like JDN might have been concentrating on the rumored flagship cars like Escala and sports car too much instead of pushing current programs like XT4/XT6 forward.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #5145
TimsZ28

Drives: '16 2SS, '14 Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
So if I am reading that right, they are implying that JDN possibly didn't want to speed up plans for what is hot in the market right now? as in CUVs and SUVs Is that what anybody else got out of that?
I read it as someone wants to focus on TODAY and capitalize. Yes speed up and roll out product. JDN did not want to give-in at the risk of not making the best product he could. He wanted to stay focused on making sure everything was right before he released something. Not roll out something because marketing said it is time if he knows there are kinks to work out. Hard commodity to find in someone today.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #5146
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsZ28 View Post
I read it as someone wants to focus on TODAY and capitalize. Yes speed up and roll out product. JDN did not want to give-in at the risk of not making the best product he could. He wanted to stay focused on making sure everything was right before he released something. Not roll out something because marketing said it is time if he knows there are kinks to work out. Hard commodity to find in someone today.
I didn't see it that way at all. GM's corporate culture is about as far from Tesla's (which is basically what you described) as possible. Plus, nothing that I've ever heard of Barra (whose background is in engineering, not marketing) would make me think that she'd want to move the company as a whole, or Cadillac in particular, in that direction.

The way I interpret the blurb Fen posted is that GM wants more crossovers (the thing thats 'in' today) out of Cadillac while Johan wants to build more prestige for the brand (whose payoff is in the future). Presumably he wanted to do that through low volume halo vehicles, like a flagship sedan and/or a sports car.

But there was a secondary thing in there too, about markets. The US market was pointed out as not being capitalized on. Which potentially means that Johan was instead putting too much effort into growing things internationally (likely China).
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #5147
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

^^^This. Fenwick and DGthe3 nailed it.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 04-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #5148
FenwickHockey65

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/04/...aught-testing/

Acadia MCE.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #5149
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Ford refuses to use GMs 9 speed transmission. Not efficient enough to offset the weight. Hrrmmm...interesting.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...s7T?ocid=ientp

Well, I guess Ford has their reasons. I'll say this...we have a 2018 GMC Terrain with the 9 speed, and I love it so far. It has never once seemed like it was hunting for gears, and seems to be a smart smooth transmission thus far. Averaging a hair over 29mpg.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #5150
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Ford refuses to use GMs 9 speed transmission. Not efficient enough to offset the weight. Hrrmmm...interesting.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...s7T?ocid=ientp

Well, I guess Ford has their reasons. I'll say this...we have a 2018 GMC Terrain with the 9 speed, and I love it so far. It has never once seemed like it was hunting for gears, and seems to be a smart smooth transmission thus far. Averaging a hair over 29mpg.
Not totally true. Ford is using the transmission. They just re-engineered it to an 8-speed because they like the ratios that delivers better and they were able to reduce some costs by going that route. Ford’s strategy towards transmission development is different from GM’s. GM tends to engineer from the ground up and manufacture their own. Ford tends to partner with other companies for the engineering, then modify to their specific needs and manufacture for themselves. They’ve done this with GM for the FWD 6-speed, the RWD 10 and now the FWD 9 for GM / 8 for Ford. They have also done this with Getrag for the DCT (didn’t end well) and ZF for the RWD 6-speed. I’m guessing that didn’t go well either, because when ZF introduced their 8AT RWD that pretty much the rest of the world is using, Ford passed on it in favor of the 10AT with GM.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #5151
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Not totally true. Ford is using the transmission. They just re-engineered it to an 8-speed because they like the ratios that delivers better and they were able to reduce some costs by going that route. Ford’s strategy towards transmission development is different from GM’s. GM tends to engineer from the ground up and manufacture their own. Ford tends to partner with other companies for the engineering, then modify to their specific needs and manufacture for themselves. They’ve done this with GM for the FWD 6-speed, the RWD 10 and now the FWD 9 for GM / 8 for Ford. They have also done this with Getrag for the DCT (didn’t end well) and ZF for the RWD 6-speed. I’m guessing that didn’t go well either, because when ZF introduced their 8AT RWD that pretty much the rest of the world is using, Ford passed on it in favor of the 10AT with GM.
That makes more sense. I was wondering when Ford showed the facelifted Edge why it had an 8 but not a 9.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #5152
FenwickHockey65

Speaking of Ford...

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/25/...-focus-active/

Supposedly every passenger car program besides Mustang and a Focus pseudo-crossover is dead.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions