Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Production questions

I talked to a dealer that had 27 allocated units, he said that those were to last him till September(is this true?) then general orders would be accepted because they would be able to order at will. Therefore offer a more competitive price and discounts but for now the cheapest MSRP, I'm sure that's before trying to sneak in all these other fees.

Does anyone know roughly the production capacity for the Camaro assembly line the first year? I remember GM management saying they wanted 100000 sales a year to make adequate profits and keep it going. But first year production attempts can vary widely.

I also wanted to know how many of the pre orders (allocations) overall were given to the dealers? Also what is the projected day dealers will be able to order at will?

If we knew production capacity and allocated preorder units to be made, we can estimate when general orders would be allowed if that info is not allready released. Of course that's assuming production rate will stay constant.

I've talked to 3 dealers, one wanted 10gs over invoice I refused to pay MSRP or over. My financial situation is very good but it din't get that way by buying over MSRP so I don't want to hear I probably can't afford it if I'm holding off. Going back to the main subject I notice they had roughly filled 2/3 of their allocated units and those are similar numbers that I've read online. I've also read that order estimates were roughly just above 10000 total. Even If we double that, were left with 20 thousand cars. At 100000 cars a year that's roughly just over 8000 a month so it should take 2-3 months to fill the preorders. That means early June at the very latest not September. New info or better one would greatly help out in my planing and decision making.

Anyhow Thanks for the help.

Last edited by fireresq157; 12-21-2008 at 10:12 AM.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Cleric

Drives: not a 5th gen
when a new production line fires up they never run it a full speed to begin with. So yeah eventually they might run 8k units a month. But they have a ramp up schedule so it might very well be a some time before they have 8k out the door a month.

Also every production line I have ever known has ALWAYS had some problem that no one thought of. With that being said i have seen small problems that took no time to fix. I have also seen large problems that have really slowed a line down.

I belive that GM will take there time and get it right. Right now you are not going to get a deal on a Camaro. There is limited supply and higher demand. After the cars start to get out and supply is higher the price will adjust. Different people have speculated different time for that to happen.
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
The official word about allocation is that it COULD last till September. This is the safest date GM would throw out. This date would take into account the ramp up of the manufacturing process, not necessarily making the predicted number of cars a day as slated (less shifts), etc.

With that said you can trying to predict the date you get YOUR car is almost impossible. the only thing for certain is that the people that have ordered the same model cars in front of you at your dealer are the ones that will get their car before you. For example I am 10th on my dealers allocation list however I am the only one that has ordered a V6. My car could be one of the first to come or it could be one of the last to come.

Basically trying to predict a date is almost impossible. However this depends on ALL sorts of things as mentioned above. And everyone could have their car by July if production got ramped up to 100% immediately
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
NUCAR

Drives: 68 big block
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
The official word about allocation is that it COULD last till September. This is the safest date GM would throw out. This date would take into account the ramp up of the manufacturing process, not necessarily making the predicted number of cars a day as slated (less shifts), etc.

With that said you can trying to predict the date you get YOUR car is almost impossible.

Basically trying to predict a date is almost impossible. However this depends on ALL sorts of things as mentioned above. And everyone could have their car by July if production got ramped up to 100% immediately
Not to mention the wildcard thrown in the last month or so. Hey Bob, did you get any direct communication from GM yet? Happy Holidays!!
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote