Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Looking for good dedicated Road Course, AutoX and drag tire?

I've got an extra set of ZL1 wheels and I'm trying to figure out what kind of tire I want to throw on them. Obviously it will be a tire dedicated to the track. MOST of my track time will be spent on a road course or AutoX, with the occasional drag pass.

My knowledge on racing tires is very limited. Is there a tire that would be decent for both or is it more of an either/or choice? Like I said my main concern is for a road course as opposed to straight line drag racing.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Toyo R888
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Since the ZL1 stock wheels are 20", you're very limited in your choice for a dedicated track/auto-x tire. I've run the Toyo R888s, but they are way too expensive for their mediocre performance plus they're basically dead after 2 seasons of hard use. I wouldn't get them again.

I've got a set of NT05's and they are much more reasonable in terms of price and wear. Though they're not too good for auto-x.

Best way to go is get a set of 19" or 18" rims. You'll have a lot more choices. That's what I did and am running the Hoosier R6's.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
A couple of the 10-11 second G8 guys swear by those triple 8s. They are high but you gotta pay to play.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
Piccione Performance

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs & 2014 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Since the ZL1 stock wheels are 20", you're very limited in your choice for a dedicated track/auto-x tire. I've run the Toyo R888s, but they are way too expensive for their mediocre performance plus they're basically dead after 2 seasons of hard use. I wouldn't get them again.

I've got a set of NT05's and they are much more reasonable in terms of price and wear. Though they're not too good for auto-x.

Best way to go is get a set of 19" or 18" rims. You'll have a lot more choices. That's what I did and am running the Hoosier R6's.

NT05's are more reasonably priced but don't offer the performance level of the R888. I have run both and on the high speed road courses the R888 is a far better tire. My car hooks up better on the drag strip as well. On the Auto-x tracks they are close but the R888 turns in better. Both tires like some temp, so if its cold out it takes awhile for the grip to really come in but again the R888's come up to temp quicker. The NTo5's will last 3 or 4 times longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
A couple of the 10-11 second G8 guys swear by those triple 8s. They are high but you gotta pay to play.
So true, you get what you pay for.
I really push my car hard at the track so I am looking for the most grip as possible. If your not really pushing to get the most out of it and just do the track days for fun then the NT05's will work.
Piccione Performance is offline   Reply With Quote