Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > UK

Old 08-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
pete-1le
pete1le

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Question Anybody in the UK experienced loss of oil pressure?

Hi everyone,

This may have already been covered in a previous UK thread but looking at the number of people who have has issues with oil pumps in the states, I was wondering if anyone in the UK has bothered to replace their oil pump as insurance to the potential problem?

Has anyone in the UK had this problem with their 2010-2013 engine as a result of this happening?

See thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342563

I just wondered how wide spread the problem actually is and if should I be worried about importing a newish used v8 with only a few thousand miles on the clock.

Feeling rather put off after reading the article.
pete-1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
RickGM

Drives: 2013 SS V8 L99 Magnusson Heartbeat
No problem here 2013 L99 with 15,000 miles.
If you look hard enough you'll find a problem with anything thanks to the internet.
The 10's of thousands of Camaro owners without an oil pump issue don't post.
Don't let it put you off owning a fantastic car.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
I think you're worrying too much Pete. There are thousands of Camaros in the 'states, with many being tracked, or drag raced, which does nothing for the longevity of any car. I can only speak of the V6, but in the three years, and 22000 miles, I owned my Camaro, imported by David Boatwrights, the only problem was a blown bulb. Most American cars will go round the clock with no more than consumables to keep it in running order, and the Camaro is no exception as far as I've seen. Just buy the bloody thing, and you WILL be like a little kid again. I made the tragic mistake of trading my Camaro, for a 30,000 mile Bentley GT, which in the six months of owning it, has cost me over £3000 in repairs. SO Camaro 1 -- Bentley 0.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
DNAudus

Drives: Bumblebee Camaro SS
I have a March 2010 car with 35,000 miles which, over the past 2 years I have drag raced a few times, done numerous burnouts in, and the only time I broke something was doing a donut for a bit too long with a bit too much lock on. I broke the power steering pump which was only a few hundred to fix at the main dealer (I could have done it myself but I was being lazy).

I don't want to temp fate here but I would say it's the most reliable car I've ever owned (out of 18); it's taken daily abuse without complaining. I was considerably more gentle with my BMW 645ci but in 18 months of ownership it cost me £9,000 in repairs and £6,500 in depreciation. The Camaro has cost me £700 maintenance (a service, 3 used tyres and a power-steering pump) and £1,000 depreciation over 2 years.

To add to that, it puts a smile on my face every time I turn the key. Highly recommended! :-)
DNAudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
DNAudus

Drives: Bumblebee Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray bullitt View Post
I think you're worrying too much Pete. There are thousands of Camaros in the 'states, with many being tracked, or drag raced, which does nothing for the longevity of any car. I can only speak of the V6, but in the three years, and 22000 miles, I owned my Camaro, imported by David Boatwrights, the only problem was a blown bulb. Most American cars will go round the clock with no more than consumables to keep it in running order, and the Camaro is no exception as far as I've seen. Just buy the bloody thing, and you WILL be like a little kid again. I made the tragic mistake of trading my Camaro, for a 30,000 mile Bentley GT, which in the six months of owning it, has cost me over £3000 in repairs. SO Camaro 1 -- Bentley 0.
Sorry to hear that Stray Bullitt :'( Swap it again, you know you want to - get a V8 this time though :-)
DNAudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
pete-1le
pete1le

Thanks Rick, Stray Bullet and DNAudus!

I think I am maybe over thinking it a bit too much, it's an unknown territory for me at the moment but I guess the learning curve is part of the experience.

I'll carry on looking for the one that I want, I'm going off the idea of the 1LE because I won't be racing it anyway and would rather put the money towards one with the RS package.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back. I've just spent the last three weeks in the USA driving round in a brand new 2015 V8 Coupe in Victory Red, hired it from Budget rental car! Had an awesome road trip and took some great photos, I'll attach a couple of photos later.

Even though the front of the 2014/2015 shape looks amazing, I can't get over how much nicer looking the rear of the the 2010-2013 shape is compared the new new square looking flat box type trunk. I don't think there much improvement between the 2013 model and the 2014 model so I'm still gonna go for a 2013 model with the much nicer looking trunk (in my opinion).

I'll let you guys know when I've found "the one" and thanks again for your advice. I look forward to coming to events in the future.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
pete-1le
pete1le

How sad I was to hand the keys back over...
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2014, 02:47 AM   #8
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
Lucky man - how nice to drive a Camaro on its 'home turf' and on the proper side of the road! Excellent pics Pete. I've had mine now for about a month and can't stop grinning - wait for the right one, definitely. Cheers, Ed.
Yellow 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
As most have said. It is an issue but not something to worry about. Besides when you get the urge to add a cam, just add the melling HV oil pump at the time of the install and then never look back. Like stray bullet said, you will grin everytime you get in it. My drive to work is only 12 min and I smile the whole way. The rumpety-rump of the cam even makes others smile - so think of it as spreading joy in the world...

Dan
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
50 years from now when you look back at your life don't you want to say you had the guts to get in the car.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote