Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #43
white1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
I noticed one of those "best techs" did not touch or tune your car.....
Lol. Nice try!! I take great pride in my cars and the that I've done 90% of the wrenching myself. I learned by diving in full force when bought a bone stock 94 Z28 with 6000 miles in 96. Over the course of 12 years I turned it into a 800hp rocket with my own blood sweat and tears. I then went to a C5 corvette, built and installed a LS7. Then to an 05 GTO, built and installed a 441 LS7.
As far as letting one of our GM Techs help, hell yes I have let them work on my car. As a matter of fact, he is a car guy too. Runs a Fox body mustang with a Procharger. It is a shame that some dealerships don't have more techs that are car guys. Luckily we have one.

Now, as far as tuning, of course my dealer didn't do any tuning on my car, they're not set up for it. I did the remote tuning myself with Ted modifying my tune while I provided the datalog along with a wideband hooked up for A/F.
Careful waiving that BS flag til you get all the facts my friend!!
white1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #44
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
I am a trained gm tech, not all of us are clueless. Actually I feel that it's an advantage to have access to gm documentation and tools, as well as factory training on all the systems of the car.
+1
Like anything else, there are good dealers and also-rans.
I'm fortunate to live where several dealers have quality mechanics.
I've also lived where is a fact.
Heck, I brought my Apex skip shift eliminator to my dealer, the service writer had my car put on their quick oil change rack, called a quality mechanic from the service work area, had the mechanic install it - no work order and no charge. I was beside the mechanic under my car while he did the installation, we talked about high performance cars and specifically Camaro design.

Approach any service facility with your eyes open. Just because they are a dealer doesn't automatically make them bad and just because a shop has a performance reputation doesn't automatically make them good.
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #45
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloSS View Post
+1
Like anything else, there are good dealers and also-rans.
I'm fortunate to live where several dealers have quality mechanics.
I've also lived where is a fact.
Heck, I brought my Apex skip shift eliminator to my dealer, the service writer had my car put on their quick oil change rack, called a quality mechanic from the service work area, had the mechanic install it - no work order and no charge. I was beside the mechanic under my car while he did the installation, we talked about high performance cars and specifically Camaro design.

Approach any service facility with your eyes open. Just because they are a dealer doesn't automatically make them bad and just because a shop has a performance reputation doesn't automatically make them good.
Well said. You also have to approach your service team with good spirits, a positive attitude, as well as knowledge of your vehicle to build a rapport with them. That's a lot of people's problem is they take on the "helpless customer" approach, and let the dealer suck them into thinking that they have no opinion or say so in the warranty or repair work of their vehicle. You have to come in not so much "arrogant", but confident that you know what's going on with your vehicle (if applicable), and work with your service team.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #46
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Arkansas is fortunate to Have Gwatney/GPI. That crew is awesome. There are other good shops in Chevy dealers in AR too. Don't get me started on Toyota though...holy crap I found idiots...thus, my 4Runner is gone now. lol
Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #47
Piccione Performance

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs & 2014 Stingray
Bashing all GM dealers as a whole is just B.S. Cmon guys use your heads. While there are a lot of techs and dealerships that have no business doing performance work there are a few still out there that know what they are doing and take pride in there work. Here in AZ there are 2 reputable Chevy dealers that have stand alone performance departments that do top quality work. One in the Phoenix area, we do their tuning for them and one in the Prescott Valley area. Both of those dealers have Performance techs who are the only ones who touch the performance upgrades.
Here in the PHX area there are 3 shops that do top quality work, and one is a Chevy dealership. There are a lot of other shops that are so called performance shops that do questionable or just plain crap work including a dealership but it just goes to show you just because they are a performance shop it doesn't mean they know what they are doing. We have fixed a lot of other shops poor quality work here as I know the Performance Center at the Chevy dealer has as well.
When you are looking to upgrade do your research, find out who does the best work. It may be a dealer or an independent, but don't lump all dealers as not knowing performance.
Piccione Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #48
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccione Performance View Post
Bashing all GM dealers as a whole is just B.S. Cmon guys use your heads. While there are a lot of techs and dealerships that have no business doing performance work there are a few still out there that know what they are doing and take pride in there work. Here in AZ there are 2 reputable Chevy dealers that have stand alone performance departments that do top quality work. One in the Phoenix area, we do their tuning for them and one in the Prescott Valley area. Both of those dealers have Performance techs who are the only ones who touch the performance upgrades.
Here in the PHX area there are 3 shops that do top quality work, and one is a Chevy dealership. There are a lot of other shops that are so called performance shops that do questionable or just plain crap work including a dealership but it just goes to show you just because they are a performance shop it doesn't mean they know what they are doing. We have fixed a lot of other shops poor quality work here as I know the Performance Center at the Chevy dealer has as well.
When you are looking to upgrade do your research, find out who does the best work. It may be a dealer or an independent, but don't lump all dealers as not knowing performance.
Yes your right not all dealers are bad, I am happy with GPI's service and especially the GPI's tuner.
Anyone can makes mistakes not just your newbie techs hell didn't JRE put the wrong plugs on a members car and blew the motor? So I think OP will be ok.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #49
Cat988h

Drives: Rally yellow 2011 Camaro 1SSRS
Well here it is the finished product. This cam sound incredible and pulls like crazy.

http://youtu.be/9-UEiAmhAdU
ATI Super Damper, Katech C5R Chain, Jannetty 470 Comp Cam, Comp Valve Springs, Mellings Oil Pump, Manley Push Rods, Comp Tringion Upgrade, Cold Air Inductions Intake, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w Cats, MBRP 3 Inch Exhaust, RX Catch Can, Eaton Tru Trac, 3.91 OEM, DSS Drive And Half Shafts, LPW Diff Cover,3 Inch Noweeds, Amsoil Z-Rod, Tuned by Jannetty Racing
Cat988h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #50
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Congrats! Sounds like they got it put together correctly! Hope the weather is nice enough to enjoy it.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #51
Cat988h

Yes so far so good, I guess I get a little nervous when she goes under the knife. I did come back wit a little scuff on top of the drivers side front fender but I guess it can't stay new forever. Over all I am very pleased, I filled her up with 94 and went for a drive it was 7 Celsius and the engine was loving it. I was thinking about 3.91 gears but I can't get it to hook it will smoke them on a second gear stomp. We will see what hotter weather brings. I love the new found torque and took the mechanic out for a ride he says it feels torquey even more so than the ZL1 that they have on the lot. Overall I am impressed.
ATI Super Damper, Katech C5R Chain, Jannetty 470 Comp Cam, Comp Valve Springs, Mellings Oil Pump, Manley Push Rods, Comp Tringion Upgrade, Cold Air Inductions Intake, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w Cats, MBRP 3 Inch Exhaust, RX Catch Can, Eaton Tru Trac, 3.91 OEM, DSS Drive And Half Shafts, LPW Diff Cover,3 Inch Noweeds, Amsoil Z-Rod, Tuned by Jannetty Racing
Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #52
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat988h View Post
Yes so far so good, I guess I get a little nervous when she goes under the knife. I did come back wit a little scuff on top of the drivers side front fender but I guess it can't stay new forever. Over all I am very pleased, I filled her up with 94 and went for a drive it was 7 Celsius and the engine was loving it. I was thinking about 3.91 gears but I can't get it to hook it will smoke them on a second gear stomp. We will see what hotter weather brings. I love the new found torque and took the mechanic out for a ride he says it feels torquey even more so than the ZL1 that they have on the lot. Overall I am impressed.
If you're trying to get it to hook on the stock tires with more hp/tq, that's your number one problem.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #53
Cat988h

Well the new ATI damper that I got for the build just flew off the crankshaft and left me sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. I guess happiness comes in small doses. It looks like the main damper bolt on the front of the crank fell out other than oil everywhere nothing looks damaged the damper is mint it just fell forward and sat still. The front of the crank looks good too. Hopefully there is no major damage, the engine was running fine. I noticed it when I lost power steering. At first I thought I spit the belt, well we will have to wait and see what morning brings.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #54
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat988h View Post
Well the new ATI damper that I got for the build just flew off the crankshaft and left me sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. I guess happiness comes in small doses. It looks like the main damper bolt on the front of the crank fell out other than oil everywhere nothing looks damaged the damper is mint it just fell forward and sat still. The front of the crank looks good too. Hopefully there is no major damage, the engine was running fine. I noticed it when I lost power steering. At first I thought I spit the belt, well we will have to wait and see what morning brings.
WOW. I wonder how they seated the new Pulley onto the crank.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #55
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Oh no!!! This could have been dangerous...

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #56
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Bolt not torqued properly.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote