Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-18-2024, 10:58 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Before adding the aux' pump, on the stock Maggie 90mm upper, my low side was dropping in the Summer on 91 (E10). High side wasn't falling yet, but I also was only in the throttle for a single-gear hit, not going through the gears at WOT, so the high side could probably start dropping at that point.

You didn't mention (that I saw) an aux' pump, or a booster, and if that's the case, I wonder if that could have contributed as well. It looks like you're taking care of that this time though, so that's a good thing.

JMO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:15 AM   #16
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
But would someone not have the same issue running straight E85?
or, are you tuning the car based on the coldest anticipated weather they might see?
No, because you make sure that you have a robust enough fuel system that has enough head room for weather not to matter. We try not to live on the edge because the chance of failure is high.
Katech_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:18 AM   #17
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
or, are you tuning the car based on the coldest anticipated weather they might see?
To run full E85 requires significant fuel system upgrades. So once you’ve done those upgrades, you’re in good shape no matter the E blend you run. But FYI I have over $10K into my fuel system alone and still cannot run full E85. So it’s not always cut and dry. But I can make a lot of steam at E50, it just requires careful attention like Katech Mike alluded to.

Edit: Katech Mike beat me to the punch.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:21 AM   #18
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:

Perhaps an AFR gauge in your face is the best safeguard?
For me, the AEM X-SERIES WIDEBAND UEGO AFR GAUGE KIT is a must. It makes it very easy to see your AFR in real-time. In the OP's case, surely it would have provided sufficient warning if the engine went lean
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM   #19
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
For me, the AEM X-SERIES WIDEBAND UEGO AFR GAUGE KIT is a must. It makes it very easy to see your AFR in real-time. In the OP's case, surely it would have provided sufficient warning if the engine went lean
Correct, and the best part about that gauge is it communicates through the canbus network, so your AFR readings populate into your HP Tuners datalog. You can easily see what your AFR readings are doing over the entire run.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:49 PM   #20
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Unfortunately, a wideband isn't enough when it comes to the DI system. If End of Injection drops into the danger zone where you have detonation, preignition or inefficient combustion, the Wideband will still read a generally safe Lambda value but in reality your about to send a rod through the block.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:59 PM   #21
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Mike View Post
I agree with this.

Also why I'm not a fan of running blends. They really need to be baby sat and most of my customers do not want the hassle of consistently logging.
Vengeance Racing is the same way. When I asked about doing tuning my car for flex fuel, they didn't want to do it for the same reason.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:04 PM   #22
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Same issue with E85, the fuel requirement would be MUCH higher.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:10 PM   #23
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Unfortunately, a wideband isn't enough when it comes to the DI system. If End of Injection drops into the danger zone where you have detonation, preignition or inefficient combustion, the Wideband will still read a generally safe Lambda value but in reality your about to send a rod through the block.

Makes sense... So in that case... perhaps rail pressure on the banks idash with an alarm set for low pressure?
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:42 PM   #24
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Makes sense... So in that case... perhaps rail pressure on the banks idash with an alarm set for low pressure?

Since SOI/EOI is directly affected by Rail Pressure, it would definitely be alarm worthy to monitor Rail Pressure.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:08 PM   #25
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
I agree with this.

Also why I'm not a fan of running blends. They really need to be baby sat and most of my customers do not want the hassle of consistently logging.
Regardless of needing to blend down or being able to run full E85, you are going to get different percents of Ethanol content at different filling stations anyway. Some stations can be almost 90% E, others can be 65%. So if you are running Ethanol period you should verify the E content when you fill up. All I do is plug in my obd2 bt dongle and open the torque pro app on my phone after fueling. Blending is rather simple. Most pumps around here produce 78-80% E in the summer. If I mix 50/50 it puts me around E52. I have never had an issue blending E in a specific range.

That being said, I can see big name shops not wanting to deal with it because a lot of folks today have a hard enough time tying their shoes. Heaven, forbid they have to take an extra minute when they fill up to check Ethanol percent.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:28 PM   #26
BunnyBoy

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Since SOI/EOI is directly affected by Rail Pressure, it would definitely be alarm worthy to monitor Rail Pressure.

What is the rail pressure we should be looking for in logs to NOT drop below? I pull logs about once a month on my car and look over them but not sure on the things that stick out that I should look for unless they look way out of bounds?

PS these are the threads I come to this forum for. Great conversation leading to ideas.
BunnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:02 PM   #27
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBoy View Post
What is the rail pressure we should be looking for in logs to NOT drop below? I pull logs about once a month on my car and look over them but not sure on the things that stick out that I should look for unless they look way out of bounds?

PS these are the threads I come to this forum for. Great conversation leading to ideas.
Low side - 70psi
high side- 2900psi
IPW < 6.0 ms

On LT4 fueling with low side upgrade, I will sometimes up the rail pressure to 3200psi if the injector pulse widths are on edge (6.0ms).

One of the most critical things to monitor imo is IPW. Because if the injectors are opening up past 6.0ms you are getting outside of the window to spray fuel on time. That is when bad things can start to happen.

If you have enough injector, then the rail side technically can dip below commanded and still be fine IF and Only IF the IPW's are still in range.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:52 PM   #28
Daler

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
No, because you make sure that you have a robust enough fuel system that has enough head room for weather not to matter. We try not to live on the edge because the chance of failure is high.
Seems like what I’m getting after reading everything is don’t run a blend. I was considering going e50 because now with that aux pump I feel more safer but even then I’m not sure based on what you guys are saying. I live in Ohio, at the time of the tune it was November. It can get cold up here and any season but the winter, I see 30 degrees lowest and once summer hits it’s always nice out. I was going to get a guage to make reading e % easier but it was too late at that point. So here’s my questions for y’all.

Should I run e50 now because of my aux pump and will it be ok now with that pump if temps drop?

Tune for e50 and when I want to run e I should just full it up to e30 or e35 so it isn’t maxing out the fuel system?

Should I just not run e at all because it’s too stressful and catastrophic? 🤣

What guage can I get to see both e % and also fuel pressure? I can only seem to find one that reads either only fuel pressure or either only e %. will want one 100%
Daler is offline   Reply With Quote