Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #29
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
Yes, what I did is to enable "Competition Mode".

Great summary. I didn't know you can actually turn off both TC and Stabilitrak. For now, I definitely need Stabilitrak. I'll use Competition Mode more once I'm familiar with a track.

PTM has so many different settings. I guess it takes quite some time to figure out each mode and select a proper one LoL
Not really
Each PTM mode has its distinct reason for existing and each is well described in my link.
For example, PTM Sport 2 is not really a "safer" mode vs PTM Race, but rather a mode which will make a car faster on over worked tires. Etc. Etc.
I find the system to be superior to most and very well designed indeed, permitting a rather fine level of tuning if one so desires, or if circumstances warrant it.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:50 PM   #30
TrackClub

Quote:
Yes, I'm running 19'' wheels and the speedometer reading is a bit higher than actual speed. I agree this may impact traction control as well
I wouldnt think so, as in Comp Mode TC is off and Stabilitrak (which is on) only cares about yaw angles which have nothing to do with tires, or traction - but rather intended vs actual direction of travel.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:01 AM   #31
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Not really
Each PTM mode has its distinct reason for existing and each is well described in my link.
For example, PTM Sport 2 is not really a "safer" mode vs PTM Race, but rather a mode which will make a car faster on over worked tires. Etc. Etc.
I find the system to be superior to most and very well designed indeed, permitting a rather fine level of tuning if one so desires, or if circumstances warrant it.
I heard PTM is very good. Pity that my car doesn't have it.
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:04 AM   #32
hzycamaro

Quote:
The only way to tell how close to the limit a car gets is based on what the tires are doing. And to do that, one needs an ability to feel what a loaded tire is doing.
Predominantly outside front on turn in and outside rear on exits. Obviously all tires could also slide, or the whole rear end etc. Proper vision helps here immensely. Also a skill to feel the car. Imo that takes seat time. Thats why seat time produces the best mod there is: a skilled driver who can get drive a car as close to its limit as possible. Or said differently: a driver who can get the most out of all tires without either under or over driving them.
Quote:
Thats because Stabilitrak under Comp Mode is much more relaxed vs regular mode permitting greater yaw angles. When Stabilitrak kicks in you should FEEL it as the system will apply brakes to one or possibly more wheels. If you cant feel it yet and rely on display try to really focus on how the car FEELS and specifically what its front or rear end are doing.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll use competition mode more and learn to "feel" the limit of my car
Old 09-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #33
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Yes, I'm running 19'' wheels and the speedometer reading is a bit higher than actual speed. I agree this may impact traction control as well
AFAIK, the speedometer reading is based on rear tire size alone, and couldn't care less what the front tire size is.

Norm
Old 09-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #34
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
AFAIK, the speedometer reading is based on rear tire size alone, and couldn't care less what the front tire size is.

Norm
Agree. OP are u running 305 square?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #35
hzycamaro

Quote:
Agree. OP are u running 305 square?
The first set is 295 square. I'm running the second set, which is 295 front and 305 rear. Once I let an experienced S2000 driver drive my car (295 square) for a few laps and he thinks the rear end needs more grip. Occasionally oversteer happened to me especially after I enabled competition mode.

Since the inner edge of current front tire is close to bald, I need new front tires and maybe new rear tires as well in near future. I don't know what size to go. I planned to go 305 square and finally 305 front and 325 rear (as glamcem did. Actually I followed him to buy those rims in the first place).

But I don't think I've got close to the limit of current setup and I like the feel of current setup. Besides, I remember glamcem said suspension is also important to consider when going for wider tires. Since 1LE has a stiffer suspension, I'm not sure I should run wider tires. Could you give me some suggestion? Thanks!
Old 09-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #36
TrackClub

All i can say is that i liked running 295 square RE71R.
What you gain up front and lose in the rear seems nicely balanced by lower rake. The bigger the tire the higher the cost. Id rather run fresher tires
If you havent tried RE71R do consider them. They are truly excellent and should serve you better for any DD vs 888Rs especially in a wet. Yet they will excel at a track.

Last edited by TrackClub; 09-05-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #37
TrackClub

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I'll use competition mode more and learn to "feel" the limit of my car
Good idea as with Comp Mode youll find them sooner and thats a good thing. Albeit you'll still have Stabilitrak just in case, but in a more relaxed mode.
Vision is crucial to developing an ability to feel the car.
Ive written a blurb for a friend on the subject. If youd like me share it - pls PM me. Cheers!