Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
First time to turn off traction control

I'm a beginner on track driving and this weekend I had my 8th track day. I turned off traction control for the first time and it's actually mainly because of the track.

I was running at Streets of Willow. This is a low speed track with lots of sharp turns and elevation changes. My friends and I think this track is a bit like autocross. I've always kept traction control on because I'm worried I'll lose control

But at this track, traction control kicked in at almost every corner on the way out and it's really frustrating that nothing happens after I step on the gas and all of a sudden it starts to pull (when traction control thinks it's ok)

Then I decided to turn it off. My car doesn't have PTM so I just enabled "competition mode", which I believe is traction control off and stability control on. To my surprise, it felt great. With careful modulation on the gas pedal, most of the time I can get on gas earlier and the response is more expected. The rear end lost traction and stability control kicked in a few times but it's not hard to recover.

I think I'll try more traction control off driving! I would like to get opinions or comments from you more experienced track drivers.

Thanks!
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
I find a lot of beginners relying on traction control a bit too much, and on certain cars, it cooks their brakes. It gives a misconception of what the car is actually doing, but can give a sense of overdriving the car as well, but in reality the car is overdriving the driver, of that makes sense. I encourage you to take TC off when you are good and ready, which sounds like you are. Listen to your car and listen to what the tires are telling your

Heck, i did when i was a novice as well. Once i turned it off, slowed down and smoother out, i really started getting faster. Just be careful.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Actually it is Stabilitrak vs Traction Control that uses brakes to control excessive yaw and enables a driver to over drive the car.

OP when you say "I turned off TC" i suspect you mean both the Stabilitrack and TC which are present when you fire a car up. Id agree this safety set up is rather intrusive. When you launch Comp Mode you turn off TC but Stabilitrak is always present. It will feel miles better vs the original set up, yet it will still protect you should yaw angles get out of sorts, even on exits and even without TC. It is the older system vs PTM which also employs ELSD and can be used for successful fast laps, but one has to make sure not to over drive the car and rely too much on Stabilitrak for corrections.

Here is a link to my post which explains all nanny systems. Enjoy and have fun!

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Actually it is Stabilitrak vs Traction Control that uses brakes to control excessive yaw and enables a driver to over drive the car.

OP when you say "I turned off TC" i suspect you mean both the Stabilitrack and TC which are present when you fire a car up. Id agree this safety set up is rather intrusive. When you launch Comp Mode you turn off TC but Stabilitrak is always present. It will feel miles better vs the original set up, yet it will still protect you should yaw angles get out of sorts, even on exits and even without TC. It is the older system vs PTM which also employs ELSD and can be used for successful fast laps, but one has to make sure not to over drive the car and rely too much on Stabilitrak for corrections.

I'm curious what the differences are on the E-diff. from Comp. Mode to PTM modes.

In the literature, GM states that in Comp. mode the E-diff. setting is in Mode 4 and maintains stability as a priority while still giving you good exit speed. While the PTM modes say the E-diff. is in Mode 2 and optimized for more nimble turn-in.

I wonder what the difference between Mode 2 and Mode 4 on the E-diff.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I'm curious what the differences are on the E-diff. from Comp. Mode to PTM modes.

In the literature, GM states that in Comp. mode the E-diff. setting is in Mode 4 and maintains stability as a priority while still giving you good exit speed. While the PTM modes say the E-diff. is in Mode 2 and optimized for more nimble turn-in.

I wonder what the difference between Mode 2 and Mode 4 on the E-diff.
Unsure, except i think i can feel more locking under any setting that has Stabilitrak on. The car doesnt rotate as well and freely even tho Stabilitrak is not engaging yet. Perhaps this is to max the ediff providing stability before engaging Stabilitrak as a last resort. If thats indeed the case then this would be a very smart way of going about it.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post

Yes, what I did is to enable "Competition Mode".

Great summary. I didn't know you can actually turn off both TC and Stabilitrak. For now, I definitely need Stabilitrak. I'll use Competition Mode more once I'm familiar with a track.

PTM has so many different settings. I guess it takes quite some time to figure out each mode and select a proper one LoL
Old 09-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
I find a lot of beginners relying on traction control a bit too much, and on certain cars, it cooks their brakes. It gives a misconception of what the car is actually doing, but can give a sense of overdriving the car as well, but in reality the car is overdriving the driver, of that makes sense. I encourage you to take TC off when you are good and ready, which sounds like you are. Listen to your car and listen to what the tires are telling your

Heck, i did when i was a novice as well. Once i turned it off, slowed down and smoother out, i really started getting faster. Just be careful.
Thanks, I'll use competition mode more. Do you think Ican use G-meter to tell how close to the limit? Or tire squeal tells the true story?
Old 09-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Are you back on stock tires or still on the Toyos? If the latter, ST or TC may be intervening a little earlier than really necessary.

Norm
Old 09-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Are you back on stock tires or still on the Toyos? If the latter, ST or TC may be intervening a little earlier than really necessary.

Norm
I see. On track I've been running those Toyo tires the entire time
Old 09-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #10
Move_Over

What toyos are they? Anything less than R888 or R888R will cause TC to intervene as it's losing grip quicker than the stock tires.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
What toyos are they? Anything less than R888 or R888R will cause TC to intervene as it's losing grip quicker than the stock tires.
I've been using Toyo R888R for every track day. Other than tires, track pads and fluid changes, my car is stock
Old 09-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
I've been using Toyo R888R for every track day. Other than tires, track pads and fluid changes, my car is stock
Hm, maybe norm can answer this better than i can then.

Norm - Why would R888R's cause TC to intervene more than the stock tires, if they have more grip? (Genuinely asking)
Old 09-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
What if it's the stability control doing the intervening and it's making an assumption that the higher lateral g's and yaw rates possible with 888's imply an impending loss of control?

Norm
Old 09-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
What if it's the stability control doing the intervening and it's making an assumption that the higher lateral g's and yaw rates possible with 888's imply an impending loss of control?

Norm
In my case, after I enabled Competition Mode, I clearly felt the difference and stability control didn’t intervene that much. I know that because every time the nannies intervene, it’s displayed on gauge cluster