Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 07-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Is there any front camber kit?

I went to an alignment shop for track alignment today. Since I'm using 19x10.5 APEX PS-7 in the front, the rim is so close to the struct that the max they can get is -7/8 on front left and -1 1/8 on the front right. When I asked if I should add a spacer (I've already had a 5mm spacer installed), they said spacer is no good and I should get a camber kit.

To be honest, I don't know what camber kit is so I asked them. My understanding now is camber kit is to adjust the wheel and struct together to achieve the camber I want without moving the rims closer to the strut.

So where can I get a camber kit? I did some search and couldn't find one. What other solutions do you know? Thank you!
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Yes sir, in fact we just launched a kit last week. link here

We are in SD as well

PM incoming

Last edited by Moreno1; 07-25-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Take a good look at the strut mount too and determine if there's some room to be made there with some thoughtful grinding. I gained 4mm without much effort.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Take a good look at the strut mount too and determine if there's some room to be made there with some thoughtful grinding. I gained 4mm without much effort.
Thanks for the reply. This week I did purchase the camber kit from Moreno Motorsport and had the owner install it (he happens to be super close to my home). Now with the extra 2 degree of negative camber given by camber kit, the front wheels are at -1.5 camber and there is only about the width of my index finger distance between front left wheel and struct. In future, if I want to get more camber, grinding is probably the way to go.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
Now with the extra 2 degree of negative camber given by camber kit, the front wheels are at -1.5 camber and there is only about the width of my index finger distance between front left wheel and struct. In future, if I want to get more camber, grinding is probably the way to go.
What? I'm confused by this. you only got a total of -1.5 degrees WITH the 2 degrees offered by the camber kit? You should be able to easily get 3.5-4 degrees total with this kit.

BTW, the width of your index finger is tons of clearance. Before the camber kit I was only running a few mm of clearance between the strut and the wheel.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
What? I'm confused by this. you only got a total of -1.5 degrees WITH the 2 degrees offered by the camber kit? You should be able to easily get 3.5-4 degrees total with this kit.

BTW, the width of your index finger is tons of clearance. Before the camber kit I was only running a few mm of clearance between the strut and the wheel.
So you also installed camber kit? What's the camber of your car?

I asked alignment shop to set front camber to -1.5 and move wheels away from the struct as much as possible. Because I'm new to competitive driving, I'm still doing autocross to learn how to control the car. I'm thinking in future, if I go to race track regularly, I'll go to alignment shop again to get as much negative camber as possible.

Do you go to track? Since your car is also 2016 Camaro SS, I would like to ask you a few questions. Have you installed the track deflector and splash shield? Do you switch back to stock ones after track event? Do you have to change brake pad and brake fluid for track days? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
So you also installed camber kit? What's the camber of your car?
Yes, I have the camber plates installed. I am currently running about 1.5* (best guess) on the street at the knuckle with the toe plates set to zero. I have my track toe (zero) set to run at 3* camber on the track (1.5 knuckle, 1.5 camber plates). I have not had a track day since installing them though so will know more after this weekend.

Quote:
I asked alignment shop to set front camber to -1.5 and move wheels away from the struct as much as possible. Because I'm new to competitive driving, I'm still doing autocross to learn how to control the car. I'm thinking in future, if I go to race track regularly, I'll go to alignment shop again to get as much negative camber as possible.

Do you go to track? Since your car is also 2016 Camaro SS, I would like to ask you a few questions. Have you installed the track deflector and splash shield? Do you switch back to stock ones after track event? Do you have to change brake pad and brake fluid for track days? Thanks.
I do track the car often and I do have the track deflectors (backing plates) and air scoops installed. I leave them on all the time. DO NOT go to the track without them installed. You will cook your brakes. Autocross will be fine if you don't want to run them. I keep the same track day pads and fluid.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote