The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes

Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
TimboSlice619

Drives: 2014 2LT LBT Stingray Z51
Run-Flat Tires

Hey guys, I have two nails in my front passenger tire on my C7. The nail that's leaking is in the middle of the tire and the one that's not leaking is near the side wall. I called my dealer and they told me that when run flats get a nail, they don't patch them, and said I'll have to get a new tire. I don't know too much about these tires, but what my dealer said kind of sounded like bs. Do you guys think I could just go to Discount Tire and get it patched, or are there really some good reasons behind not patching run-flats? Thanks
TimboSlice619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
louloumax

Drives: 2014 corvette coupe
patch and plug the leaker. drive for a week and see if any air is lost and have the tire shop spray the plug area with soapy water. since they are run flat tires, even if the plug fails, you can still get home safely. if you lose air, change the tire.
there is a real good chance the plug will be all you need. the run flats are sidewall-stress tires. the tread is stressed mainly over bumps, not on hard cornering.
louloumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
GCC

Drives: 2014 C7 Black - #5222
You can't repair a sidewall but even according to Michelin you can properly repair, not plug, a run flat PAX tire when the damage is in the thread of the tire and less than 1/4" in size.
GCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Hgar99

Drives: Mercedes
I have had the same experience with continentals on a Mercedes. If you go to a PEP BOYS, they will plug it if it in the tread area and not charge you. Most tire shops will try to sell you another tire.
Hgar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
C7Driver

Drives: 2014 Z51 Lime Rock Green
The correct way to "fix" a run flat is to dismount the tire and patch it from the inside. You can try a plug but it isn't recommended. Punctures to the sidewall can't be repaired, you'll need a new tire.
I've seen posts showing a charge of $25 to repair a run flat and all the way up to $75 for the same repair. Call around and ask the shop if they have the right equipment to handle run flats.
C7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
GeoC
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 C7 LT2 Z51 Coupe
Owned a tire store don't even consider
Plugging a tire. Had Discount patch a rear
Run flat no problem at all.
GeoC is offline   Reply With Quote