Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 AM   #1
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
Should we thank the Mustang?

Just wondering what you guys on here thought.I know most people here are no Mustang lovers.Lets face it us GM guys and the Ford guys always had a not so friendly rivarly.Whats the first thing you hear at drag races if a chevy guy gets beat he never wants to get beat by a ford and vice-versa.At the same time if it wasnt for the amazing sucess of the new Mustang,chances are we wouldnt be seeing a new Camaro.So my question is this, Should we be thankful to the new Mustang,Because without it I really doubt the general would be making this awesome vechile,if Mustang wasnt selling 100,000+ Stangs a year.So I would just like to say thanks Mustang,you had a good run but now its time to hand over the steets to the Camaro once again.Isnt it funny how history seems to repeat itself.
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Absolutely. Competition fuels innovation. Who wins? The consumer. More choices, better product, and lower price. Nothing like a good rivalry
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Other Side

Drives: 2000 Camaro Z28
We definitely need to be grateful of the Mustang's existence. Not even just now, but from the beginning. The Camaro probably wouldn't even have been made had the Mustang not come about.
We should be happy that it's here, but that doesn't mean we can't talk crap and say our car is better.
Other Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthknight72 View Post
Whats the first thing you hear at drag races if a chevy guy gets beat he never wants to get beat by a ford
This just doesn't happen in real life. In television, special effects artists using high-end graphics software are able to create the "illusion", of what appears to be a ford accelerating at a high rate of speed past it's natural enemy, the Chevrolet. Couple this new technology with state-of-the-art non-linear editing, and we are now able to generate a simulated victory for the ford mustang.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
That's nice! "Simulated"...or cheated Not really; it was a joke guys.
Without the Stang, there probably would not be a Camaro. So, yes. Thanks, Stang. For inducing the creation of your only natural enemy!

But as for Today, I think the Camaro could have still came to us as a Concept Vehicle. then cue the overwhelming resonse, then the Car; with or without the Mustang...so I think the modern Mustang influenced GM a little bit, but I think they had this in the back of their minds ever since '02...

I mean the only thing that might have impressed GM was the sales numbers...all those people buying muscle Cars; "who'da thought?" But Bob Lutz often reffers to the Mustang and Challenger's styling as "slavishly retro"

Anyways. It is kind of neat how History does repeat itself...Though you could look at it in a different light...Mustang is here right now...but it's not really that impressive...so perhaps finally they will be on a more even ground? After all Camaro's release is slated for 2009, and Mustang (I guess) is slated for a re-design (more power) in 2009...hmmm. finally even ground?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
Well I have to disagree a little bit with that.I dont think the Camaro would be built without Mustang's recent sucess.I know I was extremly upset with GM whenever they killed off my beloved F-body's.Look how long it took them to bring the Camaro back and thats with ford selling a ton of 'stangs.
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Quote:
Well I have to disagree a little bit with that.I dont think the Camaro would be built without Mustang's recent sucess.I know I was extremly upset with GM whenever they killed off my beloved F-body's.Look how long it took them to bring the Camaro back and thats with ford selling a ton of 'stangs.
+1

dodge challenger also would not have become a concept car

It will be nice when things get back to normal and you see camaros and mustangs AND the extremely level-headed, intelligent, educated, successful, high class, sophisticated, respectful, extremely responsible people who drive them on a daily basis.

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 07-30-2007 at 02:59 PM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Yes,
I would not have got back into this great hobby / sport if it was not for it, This is my First Ford ever, but when I had seen the 05 Mineral Grey on the dealers lot on October 2004 I had to have it. I never liked the previous mustangs (SN95) but the new ones hit a home run with me.
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
I read this weekend that Ford Posted Profits in the last quarter all due to the Fusion and Mustang.
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:
Just wondering what you guys on here thought.I know most people here are no Mustang lovers.Lets face it us GM guys and the Ford guys always had a not so friendly rivarly.Whats the first thing you hear at drag races if a chevy guy gets beat he never wants to get beat by a ford and vice-versa.At the same time if it wasnt for the amazing sucess of the new Mustang,chances are we wouldnt be seeing a new Camaro.So my question is this, Should we be thankful to the new Mustang,Because without it I really doubt the general would be making this awesome vechile,if Mustang wasnt selling 100,000+ Stangs a year.So I would just like to say thanks Mustang,you had a good run but now its time to hand over the steets to the Camaro once again.Isnt it funny how history seems to repeat itself.
I think in part, the mousetang had something to do with it but I think Camaro enthusiasts were the main reason. When GM saw how well received the Camaro was at the unveiling in Detroit, it was hard to ignore. When adult men and women are crying, hooting and hollering, never mind the fact that everyone in the building was over at the GM area to see the new Camaro, it was hard to ignore. Then you have all the deidcated Camaro sites and all the hits they take making it one of the highest rated searches, something had to happen. As a famous man kept repeating, "Keep the Faith".
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I won't deny that I see what the Mustang has done for the Camaro, both old and new.

Bravo Mustang.

That's about all the credit they're getting out of me.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
This question reminds me of something I was taught in statistics: correlation does not mean causation.

At the start of the new millennium, sales for the generals twin's, camaro and trans am, had slowed. so they were canceled. oops. anyway, shortly after that the ricer/boy-racer scene exploded after building for a number of years. as a counter-move, ford revamped its mustang, and dodge developed an attitude of performance. Chevy reintroduced the super-sport packages. in 2005 chevy designed a rear wheel drive silver concept car to hit the car show circuit in 2006. The response to the new camaro was overwhelming. 6 months later they announce production plans for a 2009 model year. Every car takes at least 1 year to put into production. More if it is a redesign(C3-C4 corvette for example), and still more if it is completely new.

so, at the risk of being labeled a heretic, I believe that we will have those kids driving around in those stupid little civics to thank for the Camaro and not the mustang.
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #13
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
This question reminds me of something I was taught in statistics: correlation does not mean causation.

At the start of the new millennium, sales for the generals twin's, camaro and trans am, had slowed. so they were canceled. oops. anyway, shortly after that the ricer/boy-racer scene exploded after building for a number of years. as a counter-move, ford revamped its mustang, and dodge developed an attitude of performance. Chevy reintroduced the super-sport packages. in 2005 chevy designed a rear wheel drive silver concept car to hit the car show circuit in 2006. The response to the new camaro was overwhelming. 6 months later they announce production plans for a 2009 model year. Every car takes at least 1 year to put into production. More if it is a redesign(C3-C4 corvette for example), and still more if it is completely new.

so, at the risk of being labeled a heretic, I believe that we will have those kids driving around in those stupid little civics to thank for the Camaro and not the mustang.
Yes, but the Camaro would likely have never been built, at least not in the way we know it, had Ford not introduced the Mustang back in 1964 (1/2, for those that will correct me )
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
But isn't the GTO attributed with starting muscle cars? though I guess the camaro is in a bit of a different class, pony cars. However, I think that the baricuda also fits into that catigory and I think it came out before the mustang as well. Then again, those are just technicalities. the popularity of cheap fast cars in the 60's did indeed come from the mustang and the camaro/firebird was the answer from GM
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote